• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Got a check from a scammer today!

CheapVehicleWrap

I've "ordered" them before. They always send fed ex too. We showed a postmaster we know some money orders. Took him more than 5 minutes to determine they were fake. Other I've gotten were printed crooked.

Last edited:

cdiesel

I don't get how some people fall for this crap.

Today, I walked by our secretary who was on lunch looking on Craigslist for a new TV. She was looking at an ad for a "FREE HD TV!!!" I told her she's not allowed to go to that creep's place! She'd get stolen!

Wackos.

Border

I would ask him for his direct mailing address and tell him that you afraid of transferring money over the internet. Then, since you are sign guy, mail him a big-ass giant copy of his check with an overlay/stamp that says something to the affect of "You sir, are a F**king Fraud!"

Or just FedEx him about 5 empty, dirty pizza boxes and a bill for $1795.00 US, to cover handling fees.

Fatboy

I live about 5 hours drive from the most idyllic place in the world.Mozambique. That country is so beautiful and unspoiled that you can't believe it is real! Anyway, like in most African countries they are riddled with corrupt cops. Every 50 km or so there are some cops trying to bribe you for something.They always find fault with your vehicle...even if it is brand new and then "fine " you.Being right in the middle of Africa with some child soldier telling you to bribe him is quite a scary experience..so we always comply to their demands.
A printer friend of mine got the idea to print fake South African Rands and bribed them with that.They are so stupid that they actually accept it as cach...even with the words "this is not real money" printed on the other side! He has been doing for some time now.LOL

visual800

dude take it check cashing place, just for the hell of it. If he's that stoopid to send something like that to you he's stoopid enuff to lose it

John L

You could email him back and explain - "You'll never believe what happened at the bank.. they actually cashed that check for 30,000 instead of 3,000".

Pat Whatley

UPDATE

ME: Hey, I finally got the cashier's check in the mail today. I'm busy today but i can get it in the bank tomorrow. What do I need to do next?

SCAMMER: Hello. How are you? Thanks for the update. here is my client information below. please proceed to western union and transfer the money. After the transfer is done please send the MTCN 10 digit tracking number with the senders information required including the text question and answer so she will be able to pick the money

RECEIVER INFORMATION.

Name:ULISA POKHAN
Address : 84 North 9th Street
City: Newark
State : NJ
Zip Code: 07107

Hope to read from you asap.
Thanks

JimJenson

dude take it check cashing place, just for the hell of it. If he's that stoopid to send something like that to you he's stoopid enuff to lose it
Bad idea.
When the check cashing store discovers its a forgery, they will be knocking on your door for the money.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
scammer.jpg

so this is what a scammers house looks like!

weaselboogie

He's not going to lose anything. Everything is FAKE. The routing numbers are FAKE, the check is FAKE. He gets paid when the person sends them a refund for the 'accidental' overpayment.

YOU are held responsible for the unavailable funds when the check cashing place tries to collect those funds. And yes, you need to show them ID, so they'll be getting ahold of you when the check bounces unless they have already called the bank to verify funds.

OADesign

omg. wow. reading through this thread and getting a good laugh right up until post #31.

:omg:

I used to live in that neighborhood when I was a kid. What are the chances of that?! No kidding. I went to Louise A Spencer Elementary,
3.0 mi – about 9 mins

Billct2

Isn't it possible for these guys to get caught when they actually transfer the money ito a real account somewhere? Can't the FBI or Interpol or someone do a sting and nail a few of them?

Pat Whatley

Isn't it possible for these guys to get caught when they actually transfer the money ito a real account somewhere? Can't the FBI or Interpol or someone do a sting and nail a few of them?

That's the reason behind the rush and wanting it wired Western Union. The object is for them to get the money wired to them before you realize that check is counterfeit. With Western Union they can pick up the cash all over the world (hard to stake out 300,000 locations at once), all they've got to have is the amount, the address, and an id (or a friend with Western Union access)