• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtech Vs. Designtech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Keiper

Easy question first. If you can be comfortable with the price of a 24" machine, ANY 24" machine, buy it. It is the most versatile of cutters...well, maybe 30" would vie for 2nd. Go for quality though, don't throw your investment away.

Tangential control will allow you to cut many materials that defy cutting by simply pulling a knife through them...around tight curves or acute angles, for instance; or by eliminating the entry wound in otherwise continuous lines like circles or fonts and figures that have no convenient hard corner to start the knife. This is particularly true if cutting really tough, thick materials like sandblast resist. Hartco stencil is a good example of material that is very difficult to cut because it's so firm; but the results are nothing short of sensational when done right, and that means vectors that join perfectly no matter how acute, and that is done only with tangential control, with or without motor.

GraphXMagic

Cough it up....buy a Graphtec and save yourself headaches later on down the road.

Great machine, Great Price! Well worth the little extra now compared to some repair costs later.

kilerb

GraphXMagic... Here's the thing about coughing up for a $1700 machine.

I make tees right now. That's what I do. I'm buying this so I can make custom text tees without the hassle of going to a screen printer. If I come up with an idea, I can experiment and see how it sells without placing a huge order for a batch of shirts. Right now I primarily use xfer paper for photo tees, and i think that will still be my primary biz. So, would you drop $1700 on a machine that you're just making text tees with? Especially if i can get that designtech which is a graphtech with less features?

The only question i have it will it handled very detailed text? Cursive writing for example? I didn't know what you guys meant by it would need that one feature to do very acute angles. It seems that text would have lots of acute angles in it. Don't want to buy something that won't work right for text tees. Thanks again!

I have never owned a Graphtec or a Designtec...I have a Roland and a Vinyl Express. My thinking is this...If the Designtec was designed to cut vinyl, then it will cut the Hotmark material. I have used the Thermoflex (which is another brand of t-shirt lettering material) and my VE cut it just fine. As to whether the Designtec will last 10 years, as I've heard the Graphtecs do, I couldn't say. But in answer to the question about whether it will cut t-shirt material properly (sharp curves, angles, etc.), yes I believe it will. I don't believe a reputable company like Graphtec would manufacture a machine, even sold under a different brand name, that wouldn't do a simple job like that.

Why don't you call SSK again and see if you can speak to a tech, not a salesperson. Tell them what you want to use the machine for and see what they say.

Checkers

Kilerb,
here's something to think about...
Are you going to get this type of support from the Designtech? Being able to post a question to a bulletin board and have it answered within a short period of time proved to be invaluable when when my former employers plotter crapped out.
When I posted my problem on another board, Howard stepped up to the plate and got me back up and running. Try to get that kind of service on a plotter that was about 9 years old at the time and way out of warranty.

Thanks again Howard!

Checkers

kilerb

I went for it. Should be here in about 4 business days. Thanks to everyone for their advice. I appreciate it!

Good luck and keep us posted on how the machine works for you. When I bought my Vinyl Express years ago, I did all the research I could, but had no real people to talk to. Except for salespeople. They all invariably tell you the machine you're interested in is a "workhorse"...they must be taught to use that word at sales training seminars. Anyway, I took a chance and bought it and it's been a great machine for about 7 years now. I hope you have the same luck with yours.

kilerb

Thank you very much, that was very nice of you to say.

I'm going to have 0 clue on how to set this thing up to cut properly... Are there many adjustments needed to cut through the top layer and not the bottom? It won't just work out of the box right?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
kilerb said:
Thank you very much, that was very nice of you to say.

I'm going to have 0 clue on how to set this thing up to cut properly... Are there many adjustments needed to cut through the top layer and not the bottom? It won't just work out of the box right?

It comes with the blade in a little box, assuming it ships like a Graphtec. You have to install the blade in the holder and adjust the blade height. It's really no big deal and, after you do it a couple of times, you can do it in your sleep.

Again, assuming that this is a Graphtec wearing another hat, it has an actual function to set the blade height. It doesn't work worth spit but it will get you into the ball park.

Howard Keiper

The Graphtec 7000's have the feature Bob alludes to and he's right about the usefullness of it, but the CE's never did and I doubt if the Designtec will have it....and that's good. The best thing you can do is to do a test cut...lots of test cuts, in fact, and get to know what the correct blade extension FEELS like. You'll be pleasantly surprised just how easy it is to set it correctly every time by touch.

kilerb

Okay, I'll do that. Once it is set will I be able to pretty much keep it there from that point on? What if I change the media type? Will that make me more likely to have to adjust it? If I stick with the same media type will it be good to go forever? Thanks! (P.S. Tracking number came through and it will be here Monday the 10th!)

tinysuperbug

Howard -

Does the Designtech have tangiental emulation?

I'm needing a cutter soon, and don't really have the cash to swing the graphtec that I'd like (fc7000) hopefully I'll be able to upgrade and keep the Designtech as a backup, but I don't want a cutter that cant keep my edges sharp.

Howard Keiper

I don't think the Designtech has tangential control...I could be wrong. The CE's do, however.

I have to say that I'm not at all sure that the knife assembly is the same as the standard Graphtec design...I imagine it is. No matter, you'll find yourself tweaking the force and extension until you're satisfied, and then you'll probably stay with that combination. It's a lazy way to cut but seems like everyone does it that way...with varying degrees of success.

Jackpine

ce3000 mk2

GraphTec CE3000 mk2 has a ops and tangiental emulation. I'm told by SSK tech guys the FC 7000 is true tangiental. I have a CE 3000 mk2 and it cuts very good. It is a great value for the price. I paid $1500.00 at SSK. I contour cut printed graphics printed on my PrintTech ( Mutoh outdoor JR ). SSK tech support is some of the best I have used.

Jackpine

SSK has the Designtech 24" cutter for $850.00. How could anyone wanting to cut vinyl go wrong. It is a drag knife cutter made by Graphtec. No OPS and less settings.

tinysuperbug

ok, support at SSk has said that the Designtech has no tangiental abilities, but that it will cut sharp edges just fine.

I'm seriously considering it as a starter, and later as a backup. Any thoughts? Anyone think I'll run into problems?

I thought that you had to have some tangiental mode or you'd end up with rounded edges and the like.

Anyone with field experience on one of these?

Help?

Howard Keiper

Normal vinyl cutting will be a breeze. You'll have difficulty if you go sandblast mask over 10 mill or so, ditto engineering grade reflectives. Otherwise, enjoy! You'll like it.

ChiknNutz

I have a SummaCut D60 and as far as I know it does not have tangential emulation. I do cut sandblast masking from time to time, up to 25 mil, and it cuts it fine using the 60 degree blade. I've cut some things with some very wispy, tight contours, and they are sharp and well defined. That being said, I'm not sure how much better the tangential cutting is in practice, but mine works fine for what I've thrown at it so far in the last 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.