• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grimco "Thanks for your hard work, your fired"

tsgstl

I write this for two reasons:
1. I know the power of Signs101 and if you are like me I know it matters.

2. I know Grimco watches this site and has filters that alert them when their name is used.

Most of you know the recent buying spree they have been on. St. Louis (where they are based) has been hit hard. First they bought N&F Sign supply (a locally owned supply company) and then acquired all of the North American Proveer supply companies. I wasn't happy with it but it seemed like they were treating the employees fairly so I bit my tongue. Slowly I saw employee after employee let go. These employees did not seem happy so once again I bit my tongue. Well as of yesterday they let go of at least four more. This time I will not sit back and just take it. These employees worked long hours preparing not one but two warehouses. That's right they spent thousands preparing the N&F warehouse to turn around and a year later and move everything out into another warehouse 20 miles away. The kicker is I know positively one of these employees was salary. He worked late at night to move everything TWICE and collect his steady paycheck. Now their new fabby facility is up and running and they can all of their "newly acquired help" I have known a lot of these guys since 95' They were very loyal and one of if not the main reason I drove past other supply companies to buy from them. They have families and until yesterday had not one bad thing to say about your company.

I'm not going to tell you not to use Grimco, that is up to you. I myself have never been a huge supporter of the company anyway, back in the 90's they owned a large number of St. Louis Fast Sign chains so it seemed counter productive supporting them. I will do what I can to get these employees/friends voices heard. I will do my best to not support companies that take advantage of their help like this.

WildWestDesigns

I understand how you feel on that front. Alicia is going through the exact same thing with the company she works for now. They are in the process of a merger into another company. Alot of transitional stuff going on, which means long stressful days. In fact, today is the last official day of the company she works for now. Monday she will be employed at another company. She will have gone from working at the corporate office to working at a support center.

They don't know if they are coming or going, supposed to be a meeting today, so she might actually get canned today for all we know. The mentality of corporations with regard to their employees (from a certain level on down) has changed a whole helluva lot. It's gone from it looked bad for them if they didn't take care of their employees to this. Some will, but the vast majority don't.

idsignsil

N Glantz just opened a warehouse down there. They are not to far from the old
N&F/Proveer/Grimco location just off of 270 in Maryland Heights

tsgstl

N Glantz just opened a warehouse down there. They are not to far from the old
N&F/Proveer/Grimco location just off of 270 in Maryland Heights

And they carry everything that I used to get from N&F (main tape, Oracal) at VERY FAIR prices. They just ran out 2 rolls of Oracal to me yesterday at the end of the day, because I was in a overnight pinch. So far love them

And Good Luck To Alicia

Its just rotten is what it is.

Imagine the conversation with his family.
"Honey we got bought out"
"Don't worry they promoted me!!!! I will unfortunately be working late hours for the same pay to move everything"

Few months later
"Honey this buy out is great we just bought another company!!! Unfortunately again I will have to work late hours moving all of proveers stuff"

Few months later
"Honey come see our beautiful new facility, I told you these late hours would pay off"

A day later
"Honey ummm they let me go"

HulkSmash

They have this business model where they really try to employ only the young. I understand your rage... but they treat me right.. so i can't complain.

SignManiac

I made a decision to drop them from my list of suppliers two months ago for different reasons all together. I'm using N. Glantz pretty much exclusively. Best service of any supplier I have ever used.

Border

I have used N. Glantz for around 10-12 years now and can't say enough about their great level of service. Good prices too!

Sorry to hear about the hardships of your friends, that would suck to be in their shoes, for sure.

J

john1

Grimco has always treated me good, The little bit i do order they are always able to get me a better price then what is in the book or online. N Glantz however seemed like a nice company but for the exact same product they were a lot higher and wasn't willing to price match. No biggie because i don't price match either but we are talking apples to apples on the same vinyl product, model number etc. They were about $65 higher overall on what i wanted (vinyl and lam combo)

It sucks to hear people buy companies then fire everyone who was running that company for new employees. I guess that's the power of having a lot of money.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Our local Glantz used to be top notch. Sometimes a little pricey, but if you haggle, they usually would give in. It's the old game, I guess. However, they just brought in a buncha new blood and no one, and I mean no one, knows their butt from a hole in the ground. You can't even talk to them without going into great detail and ordering directly from their catalog. So, they brought all the old guys in and had a big dinner for the whole new overhaul and the next day sent them all home. No notice, no nothing. I almost hate dealing with them now, cause they got rid of two guys I have been dealing with for like almost 40 years. They're all in their 60's, but still know what they were doing and could help you like nothing flat.

Yep, I deal with them much less.

Flame

Used to use NW Sign Supply for a few odds and ends, and for my ink. Were good guys to deal with. Tried Grimco twice, only to be treated rudely and have my order messed up. When Grimco bought out NW Sign, I gave them one last chance just cuz they kept their old employees whom I liked. **** $#@! never again.

Pacific Coast Sign Supply and Fellers, honestly are spot on companies to deal with. With them around, I doubt I'll ever deal with Grimco again.

KevSign

Last month we place order 3m IJ35c media (we order 2 rolls each month). They were ship by UPS instead drop off in the AM. I was late our production, and we refuse to receive from UPS. They charge us restocking fee. I told them no more ordering from them. But we love the fact that their advertised our vendors matches their prices.

Instead 3M IJ35c now Oracal 3165RA.

Techman

so,, you ordered it,, They sent it on their dime,,, then you refused it because UPS got it there later than you wanted.., and you got mad because they charged you a restocking fee?

KevSign

so,, you ordered it,, They sent it on their dime,,, then you refused it because UPS got it there later than you wanted.., and you got mad because they charged you a restocking fee?

Normally they drop off by driver, but the last order they decide to ship and did not tell me, we need the media to finish the trade show and ship to Taiwan.

ironchef

Getting a little off topic guys... btw I've noticed that too. They let go of several people down by me. I wonder how many people in total they let go? And who got all the new jobs? Or did they just move people around?

tsgstl

They have this business model where they really try to employ only the young. I understand your rage... but they treat me right.. so i can't complain.

I can't disagree with you one bit.
I will tell you I have always found another supply company more than willing to offer the same product for the same price

SignProPlus-Chip

Hell, I have been trying to get a meeting with our rep here for SIX months. Keep in mind it was with Proveer originally. Once I heard about the purchase of Proveer by Grimco, I chalked up the lack of communication to the undoubted additional strain as Proveer transitioned to Grimco etc...

A while after that announcment I kept calling and leaving messages or direct voice-mails with our rep for a month or two after that, then gave up.

We started our business about six months ago and wanted to discuss obtaining a price list for the year, as well as possibly enrolling in a couple of the programs theyhave in association with some vinyl manufactures.

Too bad they thought we we not worth dealing with. As we are now doing rather steady business, the preferred vendor for some local developments and moved into our 2400 sq/ft facility 2 months ago. In short, the future is bright.

Out of little fish big fish grow...they should realize that.

This is why AlumaPanel now gets all of my business.

visual800

grimco has done nothing to us the whole time we used them. Im glad they are around N Glatz is a little pricey IMO, local pricing is terrible, grimco has kick *** service and great prices

TheSnowman

I actually just used Grimco for the second time the other day. I started ordering realtor frames and blanks from them because Bull Steel started being difficult to work with, not delivering on the times they'd told me, and then they got rid of online ordering.

They've been good to me, but no one has come close to the service and price that Advantage gives to me, so I've pretty much become exclusive with them. My fellers rep stops it seems weekly to see me, but I really don't order much from them.

UFB Fabrication

And they carry everything that I used to get from N&F (main tape, Oracal) at VERY FAIR prices. They just ran out 2 rolls of Oracal to me yesterday at the end of the day, because I was in a overnight pinch. So far love them

And Good Luck To Alicia

Its just rotten is what it is.

Imagine the conversation with his family.
"Honey we got bought out"
"Don't worry they promoted me!!!! I will unfortunately be working late hours for the same pay to move everything"

Few months later
"Honey this buy out is great we just bought another company!!! Unfortunately again I will have to work late hours moving all of proveers stuff"

Few months later
"Honey come see our beautiful new facility, I told you these late hours would pay off"

A day later
"Honey ummm they let me go"

Oh yea Honey I forgot I had to sign a non-compete contract and cant work in the field I have been for the last 20 years.

CES020

You might check with a lawyer on that one. In the state I live in, they tell me that that paper isn't worth the paper it's written on. They say that no one can stop you from making a living for yourself in a trade you are trained in.

Might be worth a check.