• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GX-24 problem, am I crazy??!!

thewvsignguy

Looks like your blade holder. We "fixed" a blade holder a few months back, noticed that the bearing that the top of the blade swivels on was really dirty and had a "gritty" feel to it. The cutter was "dragging" the blade sideways on the diagonal cuts. I took a can of air to it and a drop of oil in the bearing. Replaced the blade and it worked like new! We have since order a replacement just in case for the next time. You also might want to check your plotter strip just to make sure. Hope it works, just my 2 cents worth.

FrankieTeardrop

Yeah, I've replaced the strip & swapped holders, blades etc... & I was just hoping that with it coming back straight from roland that all of those variables would have been tried & it would be working correctly now but as you can see, no way... It's about to be sent back, but this time to the California branch.

OldPaint

SET YOUR BLADE PRESSURE TO 50, TRY IT, then 60, try it, then 70 etc.....i thing you got it set for way to much pressure. TRY THE SAME THING with a PEN TOOL!!!!!!

FrankieTeardrop

I did already, I read a bunch of old posts about similar problems before I even posted here & it won't completely cut through the vinyl until 160 & even then due to the skipping it won't completely cut through it.

thewvsignguy

Send it back. I'm pretty sure they are servo driven, but it might have a chipped gear or tooth. If they are belt driven, maybe somethings gotten in the teeth? Something is throwing it off and you might have gotten a lemon. You should not have to deal with those kinds of issues with a new cutter. They are pretty straight forward....

signage

Did you try as suggested, put a pen in it to see and show us what it is doing/looks like! I do not think they would send something back that is not working!

FrankieTeardrop

At this point I don't think putting a pen in it is going to prove anything. The fact is, is that they gave it a clean bill of health & sent it back & I tried it & that pic I attached is the result...You be the judge.

Custom_Grafx

u bought it brand new - check
u have had a tech out - check
u sent it out to roland - check
they sent it back - check
still doesn't work - check
still under warranty - check(?)

I would think the next step is obvious...

signage

At this point I don't think putting a pen in it is going to prove anything. The fact is, is that they gave it a clean bill of health & sent it back & I tried it & that pic I attached is the result...You be the judge.

I do not know why you come here asd ask for help and do not want to do what is asked of you. I am done attempting to help you. Good luck.

BobM

Does it cut like that in just one direction?
Have you checked you power supply to see if you're getting a power drop/surge?
The servo motors can cause some strange things to happen under low or fluxuating votages.

FrankieTeardrop

Sorry, I don't have a pen attachment or else I would try. OldPaint what are your settings on? At 120-140 all I could do is partially cut through the vinyl. I think it's only in one direction & the blade is brand new from roland. I've wondered about the power supply myself. I tried plugging it into it's own outlet instead of a power strip but haven't tested the voltage coming from it...yet.

BobM

If it's dragging in one direction or the "change" of direction the drive gear could be slipping on the shaft. The slightest slip could cause the hesitation/direction change that is causing the ragged cut. A voltage drop or temporary brown out condition could cause the servo motors to speed up or slow down for an instant causing the same problem. Don't know, just guessing.

Bill43mx

I just did a test cut in our GX-24. 3mil calendered vinyl, well used 45 deg. blade, speed 20cm/sec, pressure 80. Got a nice clean cut. If you are up to 160 on pressure and it's not cutting through the vinyl something is definitely wrong. Next dumb question.....is the holder properly mounted and the clamping screw tight? And when it was being service by Roland were they using the same holder and blade that are currently in the plotter?

OldPaint

POWER STRIP?????????? see why we ask what you seem to think are DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!
you do not plug a plotter into a POWER STRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your asking for problems!!!!
either plug direct to a 15-20 amp GROUNDED wall socket or to a BATTERY BACKUP POWER SUPPLY!!!!!!
any roland ive ever owned......IVE NEVER RUN IT OVER 100..........on the down force!!!!!
for regular vinyl!!!!!! YOU DONY HAVE A PEN FOR THE PLOTTER??? i thought you just bought it????? IT COMES WITH ONE IN THE BOX!!!!!!