Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Have never done this before..............................

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Gino, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Have never fabricated window graphics to be mounted on the inside of the windows and still be totally visible from the outside. Have always used perf or regular vinyl and mounted to the outside. They said it is a one-step process. No putting the vinyl on and then a blue backer piece.

Here is a sample of what the customer wants.

Any insight would be most helpful and I hope when someone says what to do, I hit myself on the head and say..... oh, for crying out loud.................

The only thing I can think of is to print on clear in reverse, but I don't know how opaque it will look from outside as in the pictures.

:thankyou: Gino

inside window.jpg window from outside.jpg

Tags:
  2. ColoPrinthead

ColoPrinthead Swollen Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Donkeytown, Colorado
    Put the backer on before you go to the install so it looks like a one step process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    is the "blue" vinyl?

* reverse plotter white vinyl, stick white to thin blue polystyrene.

* reverse plotter white vinyl, use blue vinyl as the "transfer tape" onto the white.
    ** make sure the "white" is the same size as the blue, so the blue "sticks" onto the backing paper of the white

4. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    We won't be installing it. It's gonna be sent to a store about 4 hours away. Their local location will pick it up at our shop, then send it in one of their own carrier trucks.

5. OhioSigns

OhioSigns Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Greenville, Ohio
    Signs365 has a product called Dualview. Have one side printed with the image and the other side printed with just the blue?

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    that's what I was thinking too

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    So, how does that stuff stick to the window ?? You can't print on the adhesive, can you ??

8. OhioSigns

OhioSigns Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Greenville, Ohio
  9. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    No but it works like a double sided print. One is printed in reverse, with a blockout layer and then the forward facing print. I use the dualview decals from 365 for a mall that wants to have holiday hours listed for people coming in and leaving. We make new ones for them every year with the dual view. It's easy for them to install and they remove super easy without leaving adhesive.

10. jimbug72

jimbug72 Member

Oct 25, 2008
    South Carolina
    Sample posted doesn't appear to be dual view. Could you print blue w/ reversed type on clear, laminate with white then laminate again with solid blue print? Would still be a 1 step process when they receive it, or am I missing something in the OP?

11. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    I have done it for liquor stores to be in compliance with Tied House Rules. Print in reverse on clear, laminate white vinyl to top of clear. Liquor stores hated it because they had to move stock away from windows for application, but rules are rules. Interior mounting looked really good from outside though. Seems like they change every couple of years, sometimes we can go on outside as we normally would and then we get notified they have to change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    As far as I can see, there is nothing double-sided or blockout involved. You can see blue looking out the window and the white lettering creates a blockout, but only at the letters. I called the guy and asked him to call his store location and give me some more details.

13. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Printer with white ink? Printed in reverse and stuck on inside?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I might be under thinking this. Print white text reverse on clear, laminate the clear with blue vinyl? (So in theory print side is adhesive side but you’re really seeing the back).

I’m pretty sure the contravision brand has a roll of window perf that you can install on the inside and be viewed on the outside - plus you can still see out! Both options need white ink I believe, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    With your Annapurna, you can print color-white-color at the same time right?
    I would think mirrored on clear; blue-white-grey would be the ticket.

16. jimbug72

jimbug72 Member

Oct 25, 2008
    South Carolina
    Or if you have the capability, print white on clear then laminate with blue vinyl.

17. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Uhh, no white ink capabilities here, in-house.

18. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Gino, you deserve a flatbed printer that prints white for Christmas!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I keep telling Santie Claus that, but I must've been a ba-a-a-a-a-a-d boy. I just can't figure it ?? :popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
  20. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    Here I am thinking you're brilliant, then I realized that we don't have white ink. when we've done these before, I need the white vinyl.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1