• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Have never done this before..............................

Your idea of clear is correct but does it have to be blue on the inside of the window? Can the inside of the window be white?

I would print the blue onto the clear with the text in reverse. Slap white vinyl onto it and be done. It's as opaque as the white vinyl that you use.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Here I am thinking you're brilliant, then I realized that we don't have white ink. when we've done these before, I need the white vinyl.

what about print blue on the clear, and leave the white bit clear. Back with a white adhesive side vinyl that’s been printed blue? Means you’re printing twice but would achieve this pretty easily

It comes down to installing one vinyl, or layering them all as you install

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just made the guy an offer. I can do what he wants, white lettering showing out and blue from viewing on the inside. I will die-cut the white separate and give him a piece of blue to put over the top. It will be a two-step process, as there are way too many ways to accomplish this and none of them are gonna be cheap. He also said, he want's it to look like the rest of the windows, which there are about 8 of them.

bannertime

These don't look printed to me and I don't see any of the typical signs of layered vinyl. Is there any way these are screenprinted onto a clear material? A close up of showing if the white letters are raised would be helpful.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
These don't look printed to me and I don't see any of the typical signs of layered vinyl. Is there any way these are screenprinted onto a clear material? A close up of showing if the white letters are raised would be helpful.

I agree. That's why I put a call into him to maybe find out more information, like does he feel a slight raised portion around the letters or go outside and see if they might be put on the outside. It just doesn't seem like a solid piece and I doubt they spent a lotta money doing this to all their other windows.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Reverse print the blue on clear
Laminate with white vinyl with clear adhesive

presto

for bubble free install you could use the 3M vinyl for long term. For short term you could do the same thing with clear EZ Dot

we did 100s of the EZ Dot not to long ago and it worked great for our client

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Missed that part

simple....sub it out if you can’t do it in-house. I’d just make sure of material being used. Most things I see are calandered / short term stuff. Put it up and within a few months - shrinkage!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They want this one to look like the others as far as seeing the blue and it not being completely opaque.

:wink: I offered to do them all over again so they'd match and he said NO to that very quickly.​

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, they went for my offer, but they want the white lettering cut to put on the outside of the glass and a blue panel to go up..... inside. Easy enough, now. I convinced them going any other crazy route will cost them. It's all about the money.

Tyler Birch

Print the blue on clear adhesive vinyl (clear IJ40 for example). Then, mount a cheap, calendared white vinyl with clear adhesive to the back of it and cut down (this will make the lettering you didn't print white and add opaqueness to the blue).

No need for white ink, simple process. Use this for 2nd surface static clings as well!

Hope this helps, sorry if someone already offer this solution, didn't want to read through the whole thread lol

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
The sample photo doesn't look like Dual View Decals. They are opaque. You can have a different image printed on each side of a Dual View Decal and not see a shadow of the image on the other side of the decal.

I'm a little late on this conversation, but I would have definitely went with the DualView quoted at about $10 a sq. ft or maybe a little less for a decent sized job, and had Signs365 drop ship it right to the customer. I embrace opportunities that are financially lucrative yet involve very little work on my end. :D

Evan Gillette

Just did some compliance window decals this way except for black text white background. We don't have white ink in house either so I reverse printed the black text on clear media and backed/laminated with white vinyl (clear adhesive obviously). They turned out great.

Another option I was considering was to use a semi rigid media with mounting adhesive, I decided it wasn't worth stocking material I don't typically use just to try it out. If I get a bigger job for a similar application I will try it. The biggest problem I had was finding and selecting the correct media (if anyone has suggestions please chime in).

I was planning to use this media: https://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Products/Sihl3408DuraSOLLightDisplayFilm
With this mounting adhesive: https://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Products/GFConcept107PrintMountingFilm

Several brand also make mounting adhesive with one side permanent (facing the printed graphic and applied by the you w/ the lam.) and one side removable with air egress (so the customer has less chance of ruining it)

If your project is low quantity, I would be tempted to just cut white vinyl for the text, apply to the back of a clear media, and back the whole thing with blue vinyl. Simple and easy with basic supplies, but time consuming and probably not the "correct" method, would get the job done and out the door.

Chris Keena

Have never fabricated window graphics to be mounted on the inside of the windows and still be totally visible from the outside. Have always used perf or regular vinyl and mounted to the outside. They said it is a one-step process. No putting the vinyl on and then a blue backer piece.

Here is a sample of what the customer wants.

Any insight would be most helpful and I hope when someone says what to do, I hit myself on the head and say..... oh, for crying out loud.................

The only thing I can think of is to print on clear in reverse, but I don't know how opaque it will look from outside as in the pictures.

White static Cling, wet mount to avoid bubbles.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, the mystery has been solved.

Seems they thought it was one solid piece because when the guy felt it, he didn't feel any raised portions. They called today and said the white copy was INDEED on the outside of the glass and the blue is on the inside. Just how I proposed it. Not only that, but because they can now change things out without removing everything, they're gonna do all 8 windows. Just leave the blue behind.

:thankyou: all who helped. Gino

petepaz

what about clear static cling with a white vinyl backer? I've done that on a few occasions with descent results