Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Have never done this before..............................

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Gino, Dec 12, 2019.

1. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    Your idea of clear is correct but does it have to be blue on the inside of the window? Can the inside of the window be white?

I would print the blue onto the clear with the text in reverse. Slap white vinyl onto it and be done. It's as opaque as the white vinyl that you use.

2. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    what about print blue on the clear, and leave the white bit clear. Back with a white adhesive side vinyl that’s been printed blue? Means you’re printing twice but would achieve this pretty easily

It comes down to installing one vinyl, or layering them all as you install

3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I just made the guy an offer. I can do what he wants, white lettering showing out and blue from viewing on the inside. I will die-cut the white separate and give him a piece of blue to put over the top. It will be a two-step process, as there are way too many ways to accomplish this and none of them are gonna be cheap. He also said, he want's it to look like the rest of the windows, which there are about 8 of them.

4. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    These don't look printed to me and I don't see any of the typical signs of layered vinyl. Is there any way these are screenprinted onto a clear material? A close up of showing if the white letters are raised would be helpful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I agree. That's why I put a call into him to maybe find out more information, like does he feel a slight raised portion around the letters or go outside and see if they might be put on the outside. It just doesn't seem like a solid piece and I doubt they spent a lotta money doing this to all their other windows.

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I think you're asking the wrong questions. I'd start with an offer to come out and survey that blank pole sign! Then you could get the better details on the window graphics.
    But really, why not cut white copy reversed and a 76x24 rectangle. Weed the intended blue area, leaving the white border, laminate with blue, use the white rectangle as a trimming line and cut the blue to size.

7. Modern Ink Signs

Modern Ink Signs Premium Subscriber

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    Reverse print the blue on clear
    Laminate with white vinyl with clear adhesive

presto

for bubble free install you could use the 3M vinyl for long term. For short term you could do the same thing with clear EZ Dot

we did 100s of the EZ Dot not to long ago and it worked great for our client

8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Back side needs to be blue though.

9. Modern Ink Signs

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    Missed that part

simple....sub it out if you can’t do it in-house. I’d just make sure of material being used. Most things I see are calandered / short term stuff. Put it up and within a few months - shrinkage!

10. Modern Ink Signs

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    Or add a layer of blue....

11. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    They want this one to look like the others as far as seeing the blue and it not being completely opaque.

:wink: I offered to do them all over again so they'd match and he said NO to that very quickly.​

12. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    ... wrong thread

13. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    why cant you just reverse stick white vinyl and then overlay with blue?

14. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Well, they went for my offer, but they want the white lettering cut to put on the outside of the glass and a blue panel to go up..... inside. Easy enough, now. I convinced them going any other crazy route will cost them. It's all about the money.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I love a happy ending!

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  16. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    You and me..... both. :clapping:

17. Tyler Birch

Tyler Birch New Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Columbus, OH
    Print the blue on clear adhesive vinyl (clear IJ40 for example). Then, mount a cheap, calendared white vinyl with clear adhesive to the back of it and cut down (this will make the lettering you didn't print white and add opaqueness to the blue).

No need for white ink, simple process. Use this for 2nd surface static clings as well!

Hope this helps, sorry if someone already offer this solution, didn't want to read through the whole thread lol

18. McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs McDonald Signs & Graphics

Feb 11, 2013
    Guin, Alabama
    The sample photo doesn't look like Dual View Decals. They are opaque. You can have a different image printed on each side of a Dual View Decal and not see a shadow of the image on the other side of the decal.

19. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

I'm a little late on this conversation, but I would have definitely went with the DualView quoted at about $10 a sq. ft or maybe a little less for a decent sized job, and had Signs365 drop ship it right to the customer. I embrace opportunities that are financially lucrative yet involve very little work on my end. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Evan Gillette

Evan Gillette Member

Dec 5, 2018
    MN
    Just did some compliance window decals this way except for black text white background. We don't have white ink in house either so I reverse printed the black text on clear media and backed/laminated with white vinyl (clear adhesive obviously). They turned out great.

Another option I was considering was to use a semi rigid media with mounting adhesive, I decided it wasn't worth stocking material I don't typically use just to try it out. If I get a bigger job for a similar application I will try it. The biggest problem I had was finding and selecting the correct media (if anyone has suggestions please chime in).

I was planning to use this media: https://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Products/Sihl3408DuraSOLLightDisplayFilm
    With this mounting adhesive: https://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Products/GFConcept107PrintMountingFilm

Several brand also make mounting adhesive with one side permanent (facing the printed graphic and applied by the you w/ the lam.) and one side removable with air egress (so the customer has less chance of ruining it)

If your project is low quantity, I would be tempted to just cut white vinyl for the text, apply to the back of a clear media, and back the whole thing with blue vinyl. Simple and easy with basic supplies, but time consuming and probably not the "correct" method, would get the job done and out the door.