• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Have ya gotten the feeling......................

Todd Jelle

Sad. Our shop has grown from hand painted truck doors & signs, gold leaf etc...We now do 35' tall electric signs, wraps, digital etc. My brushes (quills) are in the oil waiting for use. I am the only one in the shop that could pick one up & letter a nice script today. There was really something to that talent, that can't be achieved by a machine. Its a very personal thing, just like the difference between an original painting & a print of the same. Today its just about production ...get it in get it out, get paid. I remember clients hanging around just to watch me letter and stripe a truck.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Sad. Our shop has grown from hand painted truck doors & signs, gold leaf etc...We now do 35' tall electric signs, wraps, digital etc. My brushes (quills) are in the oil waiting for use. I am the only one in the shop that could pick one up & letter a nice script today. There was really something to that talent, that can't be achieved by a machine. Its a very personal thing, just like the difference between an original painting & a print of the same. Today its just about production ...get it in get it out, get paid. I remember clients hanging around just to watch me letter and stripe a truck.

Well, clients want to email you and have it delivered same day, they don't want to watch anything...

I recently starting using Favor so our someone else does the grocery shopping at it just comes to my kitchen counters. Guess the grocery display artists are going to long for the days when people walked through their stores and admired their thoughtfully stacked 12-pack soda boxes that read "Go Cowboys"

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
I'm 48...Been making signs since I was 15yrs old. Owned my own business 24yrs. I was lucky enough to spend my first 8yrs in the business working for a real SignPainter "Bill Wright" that traveled around painting signs in almost every state of the US most of his life before settling down in my town. I've seen alot of changes in the sign business in the last 20yrs. I don't miss standing in front of an easel painting signs all day long but I do miss the business being "Simpler" back in those days where all you needed was brushes, paint, paper patterns and simple tools to make signs. The old SignPainter guys had alot of good stories though. Today we have vinyl cutters and digital printers, smart phones, email etc and everybody wants it done yesterday......I guess thats progress