• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

heart warming act I saw this morning...

3 days ago, my wife and i were in target ...

In front of us in the checkout line, was a mother with her daughter (4 years old maybe) sitting in the shopping cart. She was by far the best mannered little girl store wide. She was latching on to a Dora the explorer book bag and was so excited to be getting it. As we were standing behind them, i took casual notice that the cart had mainly essentials ... (food, TP, etc ...)

Well they get up to the cashier, and their goods are totaled, including the book bag, and the mother comes to discover that she doesn't have enough money to pay for everything, and tells the little girl that she has to leave the book bag here, and they would come back and get it later ... this poor little girl, who has just been phenomenal, occupying herself, playing with this bag, is CRUSHED ... her poor face dropped, and her eyes glassed over, and one tear fell from her eye, but not once did she throw a tantrum, scream, or "cry" like most kids would do ...

So as my wife and i witness this, we are just smitten by this little girl and the way she handled the situation, as soon as we get to the cashier, i immediate tell her to ring the back pack up, and of course she is like "what ? are you sure ? ... that's so amazing" ... i hand it to my wife, and she walks up to the little girl and the mom, hands the back pack to the little girl, and wishes them a merry christmas ... The smile on that little girls face will truly shine brighter in my mind this year than any christmas lights ... that is for sure.

I don't know why, but I just teared up reading that.:U Rock:

I did too.. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

TheSnowman

Great thread! Great Stories...and thanks for the reminder that life is bigger than just us. This "time of year" seems to be when we mainly focus on it, but any time we can do this, and not be distracted by "our schedule" you never know who all you could impact. Be a part of something bigger than yourself...I know I need reminded of that often as well.

zmatalucci

I too, often think about doing something for the needy. I recently had a church come in that does a lot of good for the less fortunate. I asked them if they knew of a source that could utilize some new shirts. I bought them a while ago to have printed, but have since changed my mind. So the church says " Sure we'll take them. We're having an event soon that we want to have shirts done for, and this will save us some money"

This completely turned me off. I have now planned to go to the grocery store and buy a bunch of food, and drop it off at the local food bank that was recently in the paper because of a lack of donations.

I think I will feel much better going this route! The t-shirt deal seemed like the church was being selfish!

Tharnpheffa

It's good Karma. I always help when I can. When I was a little kid in CO, we went out to Ruby Mountain and the transmission literally fell out of the car. We were stuck. A couple in a camper rolled up after several hours and offered to drive us the 4 hours (out of their way) to our house. Dad offered them cash, all they wanted was a promise that we pass it on.
As an aside- I was at a country fair a week ago in a long, flat field. They opened the event with a band on the stage doing the national anthem. I was floored when every human in sight stopped what they were doing to stand and salute. EVERYONE.
This woman had a lovely voice and I swear eveyone unified. I doubt there was a dry eye to be found, It was truely awesome.

Stealth Ryder

I have a new found respect for my peers and for the Human Race... We Can make this world a better place and I believe it started right here with the stories that have been told...

onesource

Saw this old lady in her yard tending to her flowers naked and took her a sheet.
Really happened called her daughter to let her know, she moved in until the her mother passed.

Marlene

I have a new found respect for my peers and for the Human Race... We Can make this world a better place and I believe it started right here with the stories that have been told...

I'm bumping this up as I think we all can use a little joy and I know that my heart feels renewed reading the stories our members have posted. there are some wonderful people in this world and their stories are usually unheard.

speedneeds

The best Christmas that Chris and I recall, happened a few years ago. We were told of a family who were really down on their luck. The dad had lost his job; his father was terminally ill and had recently moved in with them. The mother was caring for her 2 small children and her father in law. A mutual friend told us how they were worried about not having anything for Christmas dinner. Chris, myself and my sister went to work, well actually shopping. When it was all said and done, we sent the family gifts for the kids (clothes and toys) and enough food to last for days; not just staples to cook with, but candy, snacks and fruit, too, stuff we take for granted like gummy worms and doritos. Everything was delivered to this family by our mutual friend and we were able to remain anonymous. The family was truly grateful and could not believe someone had went to that length for them. Turned out to be one of their best holidays, as it was also the last holiday the children had with their grandfather.

We truly believe in paying it forward. Sometimes the most simple gesture has the biggest impact.

Marlene

back in 1991, my dad died in August and my mom eleven weeks later. I was was so not looking forward to Christmas that year as it would be the first in my life without them. my friend and roomate pushed me to put up a real tree which I fought all the way. she then invited two ladies from the nursing home than she worked for over for Christmas dinner as well as two gay men who's familes had shunned them and they had no one. she told me I was going to make the meal. I screamed, yelled and threw one of the world's biggest fits as I wanted nothing to do with Christmas and couldn't believe that she was doing this to me. Christmas day came, I cooked the dinner and purchased little gifts for our guests. It was the best Christmas of my life. my friend knew what I needed even when I couldn't see it myself. no matter how bad things are in your own life, you still can make others happy. since that Christmas day, I have done for some one else when I have been sad or at a low point in life and I think that has been the reason I've been able to face whatever life has to deal out. I've always heard that it is better to give than receive and since that day, I really understand the meaning of that.

copythat

Just need to mention my Hero "MOM"

My mother has been a Lion for over 20 years. She was the first East coast woman president way back then. She of course is retired. But she works just as hard now as she has in the past! Working on fund raisers for the needy. She invited me to a soup kitchen once to serve food for Thanksgiving. After seeing so many in need of food in (our great country). A little boy thanked me for giving him and his family food that they were hungry. I ended up walking out sobbing. My mother is one of the strongest woman I know. She does this 24/7 365 days a year. She is amazing!

I thank everyone in this forum for this thread!

Tommy

Marlene

Just need to mention my Hero "MOM"

thanks Tommy the story. I know that we don't usually talk about the things that we do as we do them without people knowing and that's the way to do these kinds of things. thanks for those who have told their stories as they go untold most times because of our desire to remain quiet about these things. I hope that others will tell their tales as by doing so, you are giving all of us such a boost. I think that we hear so much of the horrible things people do to each other that it's nice to remember just how good people really are and to renew ourselves.

Replicator

Love the idea of doing this for our military personnel . . .

AAG and I have done this for people we don't know and people we do know that our in back of us at the drive up espresso.

It feels damn good . . . !

N2Harpz

Good thread .... Brings tears to my eyes to read this.... Life seems better today for some reason. Thanks guys.

high impact

Although we should do this year round...this time of the year especially affords us a great opportunity to give. We give on a constant basis and my wife and I are always looking for that individual or family that catches our eye or heart.

Try placing an extra $50 or $100 in your wallet or purse and watch for an opportunity to give especially when in a restaurant. It's great to watch the waitress collect her tip when it's $50 instead of $5! LOL

Have fun and enjoy.

CES020

Thanks for posting this. I think there's so much to be said for wanting to stay anonymous, but at the time time, we get excited and want to tell someone because it made us feel so good. It's tough to keep quite some times :)

I was called by a friend years ago to see if I could help a woman that was trying to sell her house, but needed a little work done. I wasn't a contractor, but thought I'd take a look. Went over there, she was about 30, had a 4 year old kid, and needed a few minor things done before she could sell her house. She was selling the house because she couldn't afford it. Her husband was an alcoholic and beat the hell out of her on a regular basis. She had decided to leave him, and he was currently in jail on a DUI (his 3rd one). So I helped her and became friends with her and tried to help her any way I could. I helped her move into an apartment, one I knew she could barely afford. Christmas was coming and I knew she didn't have a dime to buy her son anything with.

I always tried to give her some money or help her out and she was very proud and wouldn't accept any cash, ever, so I tended to buy things she couldn't take back, like food, etc.

I dropped $200 in an envelope, drove to the next state and dropped it in the mailbox so it wouldn't be postmarked from my town, which I knew she'd know came from me. When she got it, she called me immediately and asked me if I sent it. I told her I didn't know what she was talking about, and I asked where it was postmarked from. She looked at that, realized it was from another state, and that helped her buy my story that it wasn't me.

She bought her son Christmas presents and they had a wonderful Christmas together, their first alone, safe from the abuse and the drunk. I really enjoyed seeing that and being part of it, and to this day, she has no idea it was me.

I just watched that kid graduate high school and get a college scholarship this past summer. I'm glad you brought this thread up, I really need to do more of this, more frequently.