• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello everyone - new Merchant - SignShopMarketing.com

Charlie J

Welcome! I'm sure you'll be a great addition to the forum.

I'm hoping my girlfriend gets me your second book for xmas

Dan Antonelli

Thanks for the welcome guys.

And Doug, thanks for the testimonial. You didn't tie my hands too much - together we made a good team I think. And you're new site is awesome. I'm proud to have been a part of the rebranding. Although I still think we should have changed your main copy font (I'm still not giving up on that HAHAH)

iSign

Thank you too Dan. Honored to have been on the team, & not just in the way :Big Laugh

Joe did a great job too... of course I made him let me be on the design team too... but he really helped manifest my vision, while steering me when needed, & really adding a lot of incredible contributions!

Taste is a funny thing... several people have wanted me to outgrow that tired old font... but somehow it still works for me...

& yet, the sage advice of the young & the wise has made me picture a day when I will be ready to change that :wink:

Craig Sjoquist

Well Dan your just another icon of greats in advertising ..yes when Mike Stevens worte his book in Signcraft I hung on to every word later bought books & gave several away as years went by, most of what was written I learned in sign school along with Bill Hueg .wow what a great teacher we all had
Then along came you with your 1st book, I realized you updated design to more a present means of design and was really impressed, .. yes now I say read Mike Stevens then your books, and wonder if your going to do more ?
..I've found everytime you write about design/layout I learn a great deal, so a big thank you
In this day and age when the industry has been hit with high equipment cost, higher educational needs to just operate these fancy plotters and such, reading and seeing your work has inspired myself surely others to challage oneself to achive the best and keep on going ...thank you again

Dan Antonelli

Well Dan your just another icon of greats in advertising ..yes when Mike Stevens worte his book in Signcraft I hung on to every word later bought books & gave several away as years went by, most of what was written I learned in sign school along with Bill Hueg .wow what a great teacher we all had
Then along came you with your 1st book, I realized you updated design to more a present means of design and was really impressed, .. yes now I say read Mike Stevens then your books, and wonder if your going to do more ?
..I've found everytime you write about design/layout I learn a great deal, so a big thank you
In this day and age when the industry has been hit with high equipment cost, higher educational needs to just operate these fancy plotters and such, reading and seeing your work has inspired myself surely others to challage oneself to achive the best and keep on going ...thank you again

Thanks so much Craig. I don't know about 'icon' though LOL.

I would like to do a really big update, and consolidate the two books, and refresh them with what I've learned in last 6 years and couple hundred logos.

I don't mean this as a knock on Mike Steven's books - but many people, including myself, thought that it was a book that needed to be read several times to 'get it'. There's so much superb information presented, it does really need to be studied. So when I wrote mine, I really wanted them to be a little easier to 'get' on the first read, so my goal was to really simplify what went into logo design.

It's very time consuming to put a book together. For the publisher, it takes a long time to recoup the investment. Not only did I write the books, but I also laid them out and typeset the whole thing. So you're doing layout while writing. When I was done, I literally handed SC a disk with my entire book in Quark and they just printed it.

Somedays, I think a e-book would be easier to do - but then I worry about everyone 'sharing' the PDF and pirating it. I mean there's definitely enough info to pull together to do a new book. And I definitely have enough really good logos to pull it off. I just need someone to run the business for a month, and someone lock me in a closet. :)

Jon Aston

Hey Dan!

Long-time-no-communicado.

Great to see you decide to become a Merchant Member, and will enjoy reading your more frequent posts. Although I find myself here less frequently than I would like.

Jon Aston

PS...

Somedays, I think a e-book would be easier to do - but then I worry about everyone 'sharing' the PDF and pirating it. I mean there's definitely enough info to pull together to do a new book. And I definitely have enough really good logos to pull it off. I just need someone to run the business for a month, and someone lock me in a closet. :)

Think you may find this talk by Seth Godin enlightening: "10 Bestsellers: Using New Media, New Marketing, and New Thinking to Create 10 Bestselling Books".