• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello ...seeking new computer advise please chime in Which processor???????

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
2CT is mostly right..... I've tried to argue this same point before 2CT. Quite often anymore the Xeon equivalent is the better option. On this particular comparison the Xeon definitely wins unless you really need the integrated graphics which is the primary difference and the Xeons base frequency is 100mhz faster and it uses slightly less power (and it's cheaper) - so they are not "exactly" the same.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/417/Intel_Core_i7_i7-4770_vs_Intel_Xeon_E3-1241_v3.html

I've also always been a proponent of ECC memory. Sure it will cost you a few cents more but the peace of mind that it will literally prevent 99.9% of memory errors is worth it. For us, uptime and production matter a lot. A blue screen in the middle of some big project is not my idea of uptime.

Intel comparison of the E3 xeons to the i series. http://promotions.newegg.com/b2b/microsoft/11-4345/images/imgs/why_choose_intel_xeon.pdf

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww.../xeon-e3-1200v2-workstation-desktop-guide.pdf

Christian @ 2CT Media

You are right, what I should have said is the E series XEON and the core series are the same architecture with slight changes benefiting the XEON.

But no one realizes that simply because they are stuck in the early 2000's where the chipsets were completely different.

chubby

Looking at this Dell
1core i7-4790 8m cache 4.0 ghz
12 gig ram
1TB 7200 Sata drive 6.0 G b/s

Opinions?????

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Not bad at all. My only person beef - the 8700 is a consumer/gamer machine and will also probably have Windows 8 (which you might not be able to avoid depending on what you get but you can always reload a machine with the OS you prefer). I'd personally recommend a business class desktop or workstation versus a consumer line machine. They will not be loaded with junk software and are geared more towards commercial reliability and use. Also if you happen to have an older cutter or machine that has a serial connection, a business class machine will probably have a real serial port. Even the OptiPlex line are not bad choices. If you are looking at a refurb/scratch and dent than look at Dell Financial Services for one dfsdirectsales.com and Dell Outlet Business.

Look on Dell Outlet Business at the Precision T1700 line. It's a basic professional workstation line with the same basic specs as what you mentioned but with Windows 7 Pro.

chubby

ok This one has 7 pro on it and licensed for windows 8.
The Dell guy said the xps series was better for graphics than the otiplex

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Are you buying the computer for gaming or business? Unless you are doing a lot of 3D work and/or gaming then you don't need high end graphics. For Photoshop and Illustrator and RIP software you do not need a super high end graphics card. Plus if you want to add a higher end graphics card you can always do so at any time.

chubby

The graphics card comes in it. I thought with cad type programs you should have a good graphics card???? am I wrong

DravidDavid

The graphics card comes in it. I thought with cad type programs you should have a good graphics card???? am I wrong

You are correct. Although graphics might still be important, you will find when it comes to rendering CAD drawings and drawing in illustrator the processor is used exclusively though. There are special workstation/CAD cards like the Quadro and FirePro, but I would probably just stick to the cheaper cards designed for gaming. They will do what you want to do without the price tag.