• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant Help Make Our Lives Better: Reform Illustrator's Canvas Size Limit

spooledUP7

Does this look familiar ?? :banghead:

Anyway, if this is one of your biggest pet peeves, ya ought go looking for some other problems that really could influence your life. You gotta get out more.................

At least I categorized this thread correctly under Rant. I think it's served the verb well.

I posted this thread not to impose an anti-scaling ideology on everyone. Like I said before, to each their own.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good going..... to each their own. That's a nice way around saying..... I don't like this, fix it and fix it MY way........ or else.

It's much more simple to do what everyone else thinks is the best way, and not make the masses conform to your needs.

Have a good one !!!:toasting:

Andy_warp

I had to make a template that was 2500" for a project. Working in 1:12 is not fun. The other issue with having to work at such a small scale is raster effects.
That said, can you imagine how much BS you would find on an infinite artboard?! We find stray empty text boxes and crap everywhere already!

Quarter scale really handles most things, and it's easy and clean math.

If I could have an illustrator "fix" it would be the 2 gig ceiling for the pixel preview when you place something. We hit the memory ceiling all the time and have to re composite and jump through hoops.

spooledUP7

Gino,
I think you are giving me way too much credit. I didn't event the limitless canvas phenomenon but I did see enough validity to suggest that it's a good idea. I think Adobe wholeheartedly agrees with you by way of the current product. I will continue to scale like everyone else and it's not going to kill me.

Without any hidden message, I appreciate the conversation of you and others and I am willing to let this one rest. Final word or not.

Pippin Decals

Spooledup7 - I also came across that Features request page a couple months ago to vote that i want the Change made also. And ever since then I see many others are starting to want the artboard limit size changed as well. I really didnt think it was that big of a discussion till i made my vote.

As for the Scaling part Ive never attempted it , I have only had a few jobs where my design had went beyond the limit. But i worked around it . Maybe someone would like to share for others interested in scaling in how you go about doing it so it is accurate for when you re-scale for cutting . I do my own work etc ,I do not have to worry about someone else not getting the scaling right etc.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Spooledup7 - I also came across that Features request page a couple months ago to vote that i want the Change made also. And ever since then I see many others are starting to want the artboard limit size changed as well. I really didnt think it was that big of a discussion till i made my vote.

As for the Scaling part Ive never attempted it , I have only had a few jobs where my design had went beyond the limit. But i worked around it . Maybe someone would like to share for others interested in scaling in how you go about doing it so it is accurate for when you re-scale for cutting . I do my own work etc ,I do not have to worry about someone else not getting the scaling right etc.

Before Cad-Tools I had this conversion information taped to the bottom of my monitor...

Another thing, How many who do not use scale are only making promotional graphics? How many are self taught? How long has everyone been doing this?
Before computers, we drew this all out, and yeah, you bet your life it was too scale otherwise would waste time and material. Back in the day, we had a very limited artboard... usually an 8 1/2" x 11' sheet... I drew on a 24" x 36" sheet, so converting to scale while using a computer was a no brainer.

Attachments

• Scale Conversion.jpeg
    Scale Conversion.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 262

shoresigns

Andy, I have some tips for you. Hopefully others will find these useful, too.

I had to make a template that was 2500" for a project. Working in 1:12 is not fun.
I feel like a broken record now, but try 1:10 or 1:100 scale next time. 2500in = 25in, 12" = 0.12", 96" = 0.96", and so on.

The other issue with having to work at such a small scale is raster effects.
Easy to fix. Say you're working in 1:10 scale and you want your raster effects to be 75ppi at full scale, go to Effect > Document Raster Effects Settings and set your Resolution to 750ppi.

That said, can you imagine how much BS you would find on an infinite artboard?! We find stray empty text boxes and crap everywhere already!
Object > Path > Cleanup will change your life.

Quarter scale really handles most things, and it's easy and clean math.
1:10 math is easier. Way less room for error when you're just moving the decimal, and you'll never have to pull out a calculator.

If I could have an illustrator "fix" it would be the 2 gig ceiling for the pixel preview when you place something. We hit the memory ceiling all the time and have to re composite and jump through hoops.
The internet tells me the 2 gig ceiling was eliminated in CS6 when Adobe re-wrote Illustrator from 32-bit to 64-bit. I just tested a 2.4gb image and discovered that it works just fine if you work with PSB files, but I did get an error when I tried a 2.4gb TIFF file. I also got a memory error when I maxed out the full 16 gigs on my PC.

That said, working with 2 gig raster images is pretty extreme. If you're printing gigantic signs that have rasters in them, you should be working at 75ppi or less to keep your files at a reasonable size.

Sandman

In my opinion the only reason Corel became so popular with sign makers was the ability to cut vinyl direct from Corel. Outside of sign shops, what industry embraces Corel Draw? None, which is why Illustrator is still the industry standard for vector graphics. People could buy Corel Draw for a few hundred bucks instead of the thousands charged for sign specific software. I have been using Illustrator for Macintosh since version 1.1. I tried Corel when they came out with a Mac version. It was buggy as hell and Corel never did get the Mac platform working worth a damn and they dropped it. And when I worked more with other sign shops their Corel files would always be so messed up when imported into Illustrator I had to waste a bunch of time welding objects back together.
I don't mind scaling at all. It saves a lot of memory problems when working with a lot of effects. My main beef with Illustrator is font size. If I want a 6 inch letter II want an upper case H to be 6 inches.

OADesign

While I agree, I learned early on, never leave it to those guys to check. Two scenarios I can recall where a spanking and a profit loss was handed out for, passing responsibility. Fortunately, it wasn't my team that took the beating. Once, client being group of Verizon stores, I had a vendor make a several sets of lit channel letters, at 1/4 scale... because they didn't pay attention to the proof or the notes detailed in the work order. And on another occasion, different vendor, made a set of channel letters, but ignored the a font sub warning when he opened the file. And rather than, looking at back at proof, or making quick a phone call, he made them, with the wrong font. And fought tough and nail on the redo. Long story short, again I never leave it up to others on the production side.
To your point about scale, I still haven't got that wired on my permit docs. But I have yet to be questioned on accuracy of scale or lack thereof on a submittal. If its OK, I may reach out to you for your tutelage on this.

...As far as mistakes, it's the production designer to double check to verify if scale
and measurements calculate correctly before hitting print/cut/rout...

Sorry OP, not intending to hijack your thread.

WildWestDesigns

In my opinion the only reason Corel became so popular with sign makers was the ability to cut vinyl direct from Corel. Outside of sign shops, what industry embraces Corel Draw?

Apparel decorating. The gold standard commercial digitizing software is paired directly with Corel DRAW, the only reason why I have any copies of the software at all, even though I don't install them. I know some shops that don't have that digitizing software, but have DRAW.

akuarela

Agree, and voted, a long time issue for me.
(Sure, can scale and all, but that's an extra step and possible errors down the way, very surprised that so few voters on the subject)

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
While I agree, I learned early on, never leave it to those guys to check. Two scenarios I can recall where a spanking and a profit loss was handed out for, passing responsibility. Fortunately, it wasn't my team that took the beating. Once, client being group of Verizon stores, I had a vendor make a several sets of lit channel letters, at 1/4 scale... because they didn't pay attention to the proof or the notes detailed in the work order. And on another occasion, different vendor, made a set of channel letters, but ignored the a font sub warning when he opened the file. And rather than, looking at back at proof, or making quick a phone call, he made them, with the wrong font. And fought tough and nail on the redo. Long story short, again I never leave it up to others on the production side.
To your point about scale, I still haven't got that wired on my permit docs. But I have yet to be questioned on accuracy of scale or lack thereof on a submittal. If its OK, I may reach out to you for your tutelage on this.

Sorry OP, not intending to hijack your thread.

I think you make good points...

I should have added, the EGD process is that production files are generated by sign shops so they understand the size and scale of the projects, they also supply colors for review, we also review patterns so that we know exactly whats going up.

I have had the same issues you have had when I worked at a sign shop environment. I was a production designer for a while and made a checklist that I used on every job being produced - designers can be notoriously lazy pulling and dragging at the artwork, and if the sign was off even 1 inch or looked distorted or something the designer missed, I would be on the phone with a corresponding email to make sure I documented the issue.

I have heard that some municipalities overlook some scale issues as long at it measures out or the square footage is correct. I have also have sign-off go awry because the inspector printed an 11 x 17 sheet at 8 1/2 x 11 and did not scale right. I've never had an issue with scale because I have always done it this way... probably because it was taught to me to do it that way. I also come from a construction/architectural background.

Johnny Best

I have CS6 so if they do give a bigger area, I would not upgrade just for that. I to have no problem scaling things up or down. I am teaching myself Affinity Designer and will check to see how big their artboard is. Would love to see Coral make Mac friendly software but I won't hold my breath on that happening.

WildWestDesigns

Would love to see Coral make Mac friendly software but I won't hold my breath on that happening.

Considering they tried and didn't go anywhere, I doubt that they will again.

Corel was actually even Linux friendly (had their own Linux distro called (very originally) Corel Linux), but that too didn't go anywhere. More over how they did the distro itself and how it wasn't even connected to the rest of the Linux ecosystem.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
spooledUP7 said:
I have made it my mission to pester Adobe until they fix the Canvas size limit within Illustrator. It may have been a useful limit back in 1989, but it's completely and utterly irritating now.

Actually the current 227" X 227" max art board size in Illustrator only dates back to 2000 with the release of Adobe Illustrator 9. It was the first version of Illustrator built natively on PDF technology, which paired alongside the then-new Adobe InDesign page layout application. InDesign has the same max art board size. Previous Postscript-based versions of Illustrator had much smaller maximum art board sizes.

All sign making applications and vector drawing programs have their limits on art board sizes, level of zoom and a bunch of other things. None are limitless. There's all sorts of push and pull taking place when the layout size gets huge. Accuracy of object dimensions and coordinate position starts taking a hit. I remember CASmate getting really unstable if a layout included something huge like a building elevation going over 100 feet or more in length. Saving work frequently was a must. Crash messages like: "floating point: square root of negative integer" were frequent gotchas when working big.

CorelDRAW has a max art board size of 1800" X 1800" -but I can have a layout less than half that size and get hit with the pop up message: "this zoom has exceeded the boundaries of the drawing space; your window will be adjusted accordingly." CorelDRAW also won't let you enlarge type past a limit of 3000 points unless you convert the type to curves. I think Corel's larger art board limits it in other respects. In Illustrator you can numerically define object dimensions out to four decimal points. In CorelDRAW you can only go to 3. CMYK fill percentages in CorelDRAW are only in whole numbers whereas Illustrator edits color percentages out to two decimal points. The rival applications obviously have different math engines running under the hood.

Developers at Adobe are trying to figure out way how to increase the maximum art board size. So many people in graphics forums assume it's just easy to get past these limits. If that was the case the max art board sizes would have been increased a long time ago.

spooledUP7 said:
Back on topic, Illustrator is (like it or not) THE industry standard for vector design software and it is appalling to see Adobe ignore this basic and necessary application feature for over two decades. It makes zero sense from my perspective to limit the canvas size, and if there is a logical reason Adobe has yet to openly disclose so. I am sure there is something baked into the OG code that causes a black-hole to materialize but you would think after 20 plus years they would have ironed it out.

There has never been a truly singular industry standard application for vector graphics software, nothing like what Photoshop is to image editing and pixel-based art. Even when Adobe was catering only to Mac users a bunch of those Mac graphics people were opting for Aldus Freehand instead. Adobe was only able to eliminate Freehand by buying its parent company (Macromedia at the time). For better or worse CorelDRAW has stayed fairly entrenched on the Windows side. And now there are newcomers like Affinity Designer, Autodesk Graphic, etc.

Regarding Flexi, it has some decent design capabilities, but the real reason to have it is for driving sign making hardware. We have 3 licenses of it in our shop, but most of the actual design work is taking place first in CorelDRAW and/or Adobe Illustrator. Flexi has some basic short comings, like not supporting all the features of OpenType fonts.

Sandman said:
In my opinion the only reason Corel became so popular with sign makers was the ability to cut vinyl direct from Corel.

That reason could apply in the late 1990's and years afterward. If you look back to the late 1980's and early 1990's very little industry-specific sign making software was running on the Mac platform. This was during a critical time when sign shops were first adopting digital-based tools. The vast majority of it was running on either MS-DOS or Windows. I was using a DOS-based version of CASmate back in 1993 and cutting vinyl graphics on a Gerber Signmaker 4B. IIRC Scanvec didn't release a Windows version until 1994 or 1995.

Most sign shops needed some kind of mainstream desktop graphics software to pair up with the industry specific sign making software. Some of it was for extra functions and effects not found in the sign software. Sometimes the mainstream drawing app would do things (such as weld objects) better than the sign making applications. And then if it wasn't for those reasons it was for all the extra fonts and clip art.

For PC users back in the early 1990s CorelDRAW was the only credible choice available. Early versions of Adobe Illustrator were lousy. It was laughable just how primitive Adobe Illustrator 4 was compared to even CorelDRAW 3. The only reason why I bought my first version of Adobe Illustrator was that it was in a bundle with Adobe Photoshop 2.5; the bundle included a decent collection of Postscript fonts worth quite a lot of money on their own.

25 years ago Adobe pretended CorelDRAW and the PC platform didn't exist. They released Illustrator versions 5, 5.5 and 6 for the Mac platform. IIRC they released one of those versions for Silicon Graphix IRIX OS. That neglect allowed CorelDRAW to become the default vector drawing app for the Windows platform and got it even more firmly entrenched in the sign industry. During that time I started using Macromedia Freehand as a substitute for Illustrator, simply because they weren't playing favorites with OS platforms. Freehand paired up with Adobe Photoshop just as well (I could even copy/paste AICB vector paths from Freehand into Photoshop).

Johnny Best said:
Would love to see Coral make Mac friendly software but I won't hold my breath on that happening.

CorelDRAW 11 had single SKU boxes that included both Mac and Windows versions in the same set of installation discs.

Back then one could have thought at least some Mac users would like the news of another Windows-only application going Mac. Instead the Mac user base all but unanimously turned up their noses at CDR 11 due to its PC roots. I think very few of those users ever even tried the product. They just made assumptions and snap judgments. Corel got the message loud and clear. CorelDRAW 12 and all versions since then have been Windows-only.

People have been making requests for Mac versions of CorelDRAW for many years at the CorelDRAW forums. Sometimes they do so here too. I'm sure anyone working at Corel who was working there in the early 2000's might cringe when seeing those Mac platform requests.

Last edited:

Andy_warp

Andy, I have some tips for you. Hopefully others will find these useful, too.

I feel like a broken record now, but try 1:10 or 1:100 scale next time. 2500in = 25in, 12" = 0.12", 96" = 0.96", and so on.

Easy to fix. Say you're working in 1:10 scale and you want your raster effects to be 75ppi at full scale, go to Effect > Document Raster Effects Settings and set your Resolution to 750ppi.

Object > Path > Cleanup will change your life.

1:10 math is easier. Way less room for error when you're just moving the decimal, and you'll never have to pull out a calculator.

The internet tells me the 2 gig ceiling was eliminated in CS6 when Adobe re-wrote Illustrator from 32-bit to 64-bit. I just tested a 2.4gb image and discovered that it works just fine if you work with PSB files, but I did get an error when I tried a 2.4gb TIFF file. I also got a memory error when I maxed out the full 16 gigs on my PC.

That said, working with 2 gig raster images is pretty extreme. If you're printing gigantic signs that have rasters in them, you should be working at 75ppi or less to keep your files at a reasonable size.
Adobe is full of beans. We run into this regularly. Illustrator just dies. Also you can't place a linked .psb. Embedding the image will kill all profiles, down res, and unwanted conversions happen. We see 2 gig files all the time here. Typically they will be .ai files that are that large only due to the preview image. Many times I will open a 1.5 to 2 gig layout only to find the link missing.

You can tell it whatever resolution you want in the raster effects setting, but if you hit that ceiling it crashes. We have an 8-core mac with 64 gigs of ram. It is a software issue.

75 ppi at 100% is always our target. I created some 8 gig print files the other day, so yeah, we work with large stuff.

We would absolutely never work at 1:100, we would find another way. We've found working to the closest scale to artboard limits works best, and...math isn't all that hard.
I have to develop curved surfaces and flatten them for many of our projects. Flattened curves rarely are nice round numbers, so I clean it up in the bleed. The other reason we do this is Illustrator only rounds to 2 decimal points...another reason to not work in TOO small a scale.

Andy_warp

I think you make good points...

I should have added, the EGD process is that production files are generated by sign shops so they understand the size and scale of the projects, they also supply colors for review, we also review patterns so that we know exactly whats going up.

I have had the same issues you have had when I worked at a sign shop environment. I was a production designer for a while and made a checklist that I used on every job being produced - designers can be notoriously lazy pulling and dragging at the artwork, and if the sign was off even 1 inch or looked distorted or something the designer missed, I would be on the phone with a corresponding email to make sure I documented the issue.

I have heard that some municipalities overlook some scale issues as long at it measures out or the square footage is correct. I have also have sign-off go awry because the inspector printed an 11 x 17 sheet at 8 1/2 x 11 and did not scale right. I've never had an issue with scale because I have always done it this way... probably because it was taught to me to do it that way. I also come from a construction/architectural background.
For accuracy and scale NOTHING beats cad! We use Rhino. All of the tools are ten times more efficient than any graphics software. I rarely "design" but when I do, all of the base work starts in Rhino. I even secretly love the command prompt...nice to not have to find a specific palette or use the mouse for every single thing. I do however find myself trying to type in "generic command" in Illustrator, and use key commands in Rhino! Neither work!

Andy_warp

I actually really liked Freehand.
Was never a huge fan of Corel, however I liked it's bare bones feel. Any vector software is great if you are creating and producing it all. We can't get away from Adobe due it's popularity among designers. Every time I see "non-native" effects in Illy my head hits the desk. With our rip using the APPE it only makes since to keep everything Adobe. There is a postsript engine in Caldera as well, but I haven't had much luck with it's transparency and color handling.

I really feel like Adobe has broken Illustrator and all of their apps. It's all more focused on looking a certain way than acting a certain way. The newest version is buggy as hell.

In my opinion the dream team will always be Illustrator 10 and Photoshop 7.