• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP!!!! Mutoh 1604 ink error "not original"

graphixtogo

trying to get a wrap output tonight... already behind on the job...

Ink out message come on the machine during print... changed out to a new Mutoh 220 magenta cartridge... it now gives me an error "NOT ORIGINAL". I have tried taking it out, examining the chip (no scratches or visible defects), and putting it back in 3 or 4 times, but no go!!!

Is there any way to resolve this??? I have new inks on order, but that doesn't help me tonight!!!!

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

I hate chipped cartridges!!!!!! aaarrrgggghhhhhhhh!!!!

jiarby

from Mutoh's website....

Not original ink error:
1. Be sure proper cartridges are installed for the procedure in process – i.e. cleaning cartridges for the wash cycle
2. Verify smart cards are properly positioned on the cartridge – look for scratch marks on cards in center of memory segments
3. Verify smart cards have not been erased – install new set of cartridges if available
4. Reset ink fill status flag in diagnostics and reprime ink
5. Clear NVRAM and reload parameters (refer to TIB 5/1/07 Bulletin N° 2007/001)

graphixtogo

Sorry, Rex... I failed to mention that I did that. I searched for "Mutoh error not original ink" and only got 5 responses, of which none helped any.

Should I use a different search term? If so, let me know... I'm desperate here!!!

graphixtogo

from Mutoh's website....

Not original ink error:
1. Be sure proper cartridges are installed for the procedure in process – i.e. cleaning cartridges for the wash cycle
2. Verify smart cards are properly positioned on the cartridge – look for scratch marks on cards in center of memory segments
3. Verify smart cards have not been erased – install new set of cartridges if available
4. Reset ink fill status flag in diagnostics and reprime ink
5. Clear NVRAM and reload parameters (refer to TIB 5/1/07 Bulletin N° 2007/001)

I saw that on their site. I am taking it that in order to reset the status flag that you have to cancel out of the print job. I am in the middle of a panel and don't want to trash it if I can keep from it.

jiarby

I always keep a spare set of ink and set of cleaning carts on the shelf just for this reason. They always crap out on Friday night at 9pm for a Saturday job!

graphixtogo

I know what you mean. I thought I had more ink in the machine than I did and this set of inks was my backup set. I knew that I would be putting these cartridges in before long so I went ahead and ordered another set today. I guess I should have ordered them yesterday, huh? Story of my life...

Case

Is that possible? Have you (or anyone) done this?

Yep, you need to put a new chip on that cartridge, some cartridges are shipped with bad chips.

I have also upgraded the sub controller firmware, but that resolved it when all the colors said "not original"...

I would just say your one cartridge has a bad chip.... Mutoh or your dealer should send you a new card for your cartridge...

Case

os101king

I saw that on their site. I am taking it that in order to reset the status flag that you have to cancel out of the print job. I am in the middle of a panel and don't want to trash it if I can keep from it.

As far as I've found, discovered, or my best guess can tell, there's no way to continue a panel once you've run out of ink in a cartridge. When mine run out in the middle of a run I get an "E0....." error and the machine goes into blinky-light mode.

SignosaurusRex

It is Time to Call MUTOH !!!

They Need to do something to remedy this ongoing Problem!
They will offer to send new cards. If you insist on new replacement cartridges instead and offer to send the defective cartridges back to them, they will ship new cartridges promptly. Having to send out new carts rather than cards every time may encourage them to remedy the problem.

gnemmas

Time to try Nazdar Lyson 2100 inks. $36 per 220ml. I have been using them for 3 months now (VJ1204) about 40 ink cartridges so far, no chip problems, one bad one with bunches of dust spots only. The savings is tremendous.

www.sourceoneonline.com

graphixtogo

Time to try Nazdar Lyson 2100 inks. $36 per 220ml. I have been using them for 3 months now (VJ1204) about 40 ink cartridges so far, no chip problems, one bad one with bunches of dust spots only. The savings is tremendous.

www.sourceoneonline.com

Is anyone else using aftermarket inks in their ValueJets? The Nazdar ink is very tempting. What policy does Mutoh have on aftermarket inks? If they void the warranty, do they do so on the whole machine or just the printheads?

Are there any bulk ink systems available for the VJ's?

I have read some bad things about the Bordeaux brand inks...

BTW, I've left 2 messages with Mutoh's service department and haven't heard back yet...

jc1cell

I have been using Inkwares eco ink for the Mutoh valuejet successfully since around december of last year. The ink dries very quickly on the substrate. The only negative I would give it is that it increases the cleaning schedule on the machine because of its fast drying.

But the colors are great and durability has proven better than the previous 3rd party we were provided. I would love to try the Nazdar inks (I hear they are similar in their drying time as the Inkware brand) but I can't handle cartridges because of their limitations...bulk ink systems are the way to go and Mutoh should think about that....it's so much better.

Regarding warranty. Well I'm pretty sure it voids anything related to the inks (printhead, hoses, etc.) as long as it can be proven that the ink is the cause of the problem. But that's where a good ink distributor comes into place...as long as they provide warranty for any damage the ink could cause to ink related parts you should be ok.

We had issues for the entire first year of use of our valuejet using 3rd party inks. We went through 2 Print Heads, around 4 Capping Stations and I'd say about 3 Maintenance Units and all were replaced free of charge. Now we are running smoothly.

jc

graphixtogo

I just got off the phone with Randy at Mutoh. My phone message got lost in the voicemail system and he quickly PM'd me after seeing my post here. Kudos, Randy! He is sending a new chip for the cartridge. I got my other set of inks today and putting the new magenta in got the machine back up and running.

:U Rock:

graphixtogo

Yes, unfortunately this has become a common occurrence with VJ chips. We had so many problems that I ended up ordering 10 sets of chips for such a problem. If you're in a bind let me know, I can help out.

Thanks for the offer, Matt! I was just seconds away from calling you when I got a reply from Randy at Mutoh! I'm back up and running now!

Thanks!