• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP!!!! Mutoh 1604 ink error "not original"

P

ProWraps™

next time pull the chip off the old cart. put on new cart. done.

graphixtogo

How did they fix the Issue ?

Not really a "fix"... replacing the magenta cartridge with a new one (that I received today) cleared things up. I wanted to speak with a tech before I did this. I wanted to be sure that I wasn't going to blow out another smart chip.

He is also sending me a replacement chip for the defective magenta cartridge.

graphixtogo

next time pull the chip off the old cart. put on new cart. done.

I was under the impression that once a cartridge (smart chip) is designated "empty" by the printer, the chip is flashed so it can't be used again. If that is so, how can the old chip work on the new cartridge?

gnemmas

May be my post that suggest for 3rd party ink pushed their button?

We really need to support 3rd party ink mfg to spur competition. Mutoh's smart chip is too smart for their own good with many return of good cartridges.

At $65 per 220ml, it is over 1K per gallon. It is really more profitable selling inks than printer. We easily spend more ink money than the printer itself in one year.

Pro Image

I was under the impression that once a cartridge (smart chip) is designated "empty" by the printer, the chip is flashed so it can't be used again. If that is so, how can the old chip work on the new cartridge?

Your are right........Cant be used again if you run it out of ink......

renamer38

btw ,i have exp. in installing Vj1604 ,and i saw what it does(problems with ink during installation)
solving : charge flg = Mm 2
: change chips on cart.

os101king

Great. Hoped I'd never run into this but yep... got a "not original" message. Funny thing being, there's no marking on the chip and it's about 25% full (checked it last night). When I powered up I got that BS message about not original. Took it out, replaced it a couple times, no help. This is absolutley ridiculous. Amazing that a company that has built such a good machine would hobble it with such an amateurish problem. This whole system being stopped in it's tracks by a freakin chip on the cartridges? Hello!?! Mutoh?!!? Are you listening??!?! Time to come up with a real fix, here.

os101king

May be my post that suggest for 3rd party ink pushed their button?

We really need to support 3rd party ink mfg to spur competition. Mutoh's smart chip is too smart for their own good with many return of good cartridges.

At $65 per 220ml, it is over 1K per gallon. It is really more profitable selling inks than printer. We easily spend more ink money than the printer itself in one year.

Why do you think the chips are there? There's big litigation on the desktop printer end going on due to this "factory ink" bullshit they try to pull. Legally, they have to make their units to use third-party inks as long as they are up to a certain standard. Making the chips self-flashing is part of the illegal moves that printer companies do to keep us from using other inks.... according to anti-trust legislation, it's against the law. Unfortunately, they have lots of money, so the laws don't mean quite as much as they do to you or me.

Back on topic, so I'd have to contact Mutoh directly to get a new chip for my 25% full cartridge? At 1K a gallon, I'm not wasting it, that's for sure!!!

graphixtogo

Call Mutoh's service and they will overnight a replacement chip. That's what they did for me. They are keeping track of the incidents and which machines it is happening in and reporting that to Mutoh. Hopefully something will get fixed.

In the mean time, I think they need to send every customer a set of those chips to have on hand for emergency use. I my case, I was completely down because the error showed up on a brand new cartridge, not a partly used one. This cartridge was my on-the-shelf backup for when I ran out of ink. I knew that I was going to be putting that backup cart in sometime that day, so I ordered another set. Then, I got the "not original error". So I was down until the next day when the new carts got here. If I had had a set of those chips on hand, I could have finished that wrap I was printing out that night.

They could issue one set per customer with stipulations that each chip must be returned after each ""not original" error before another chip could be issued. This is similar to the warranty process that some companies use to make sure they get back the bad parts.

Or, they could just turn off the whole darn chip-flashing system...

randya

There's big litigation on the desktop printer end going on due to this "factory ink" bullshit they try to pull. Legally, they have to make their units to use third-party inks as long as they are up to a certain standard.

The litigation is about HP paying Staples a $100,000,000.00 not to sell third party cartridges.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...cused-of-colluding-on-printer-ink-prices.html

If you have more information, please provide a link.

I am not aware of any legal requirements to make printers use third party inks.

If you have a reference, I would like know more about this as well.

Mutoh actually has to pay royalties to the head manufacturer to use third party inks themselves.

Making the chips self-flashing is part of the illegal moves that printer companies do to keep us from using other inks.... according to anti-trust legislation, it's against the law.

Which law is it against to use chips?
This whole line of thought is intriquing to me...

Back on topic, so I'd have to contact Mutoh directly to get a new chip for my 25% full cartridge? At 1K a gallon, I'm not wasting it, that's for sure!!!

And you shouldnt be wasting it, that is why Mutoh is replacing the chips when they are a problem.

Chip problems ARE a concern for Mutoh as well and we are working with the machine design engineers, software engineers and the chip suppliers to remedy the situation as quickly as possible.

Please insure that you have latest firmware for your particular printer installed. It is available on the Mutoh website under the FTP menu.

You might also want to consider this.
When someone uses an inappropriate 3rd party ink and damages that printer while under warranty, with that ink, doesnt matter if it clogs a nozzle, dissolves part of the printhead (typically the nipple where the damper connects) or the damages the dampers and the entire ink system, almost always Mutoh picks up the cost, which means Mutoh's customers pick up the costs in the form of higher prices and reduced service. In many cases, especially before chips, this was quite common, and it was very difficult to prove that is was 3rd party ink. In one customer after 10 print heads were replaced in one machine in one year, I discovered a case of 3rd party inks hidden by the printer, in the year since that discovery and exposure, NO heads have needed replacement in that printer (now chipped) and the printer is working better than ever. That customer was 'saving' money.....btw, the person responsible no longer works there.

There are good third party ink companies out there and they will pick up the warranty with their ink. That would seem to be a much better bet than buying $200 a gallon ink from Lou's fine ink Emporium off the internet.

Mutoh's goal with the ValueJet has been from the beginning 'Quality'.
Part of that has been in the design of the machine (years in R&D).
Part of that is reflected in 540x720 being the lowest print resolution available.
Part of that is in optimizing head performance to known ink properties. Even a small deviation in surface tension, viscousity and/or density can affect the formation of a droplet and its ability to fall at the right time and land at the right place, and when you are talking down to sub 4 picoliter droplet sizes, quality of the drop size is critical to print quality.

Each ink design has different jetting properties and ideally need firing curves developed for that ink (or an ink with exact properties).

When reporting smart card issues:

Please provide your printer serial number and the situation in which the chips failed in your call to your dealer (and or Mutoh) along with your contact information. Every issue is being tracked.

Please insure that you have latest firmware for your particular printer installed. It is available on the Mutoh website under the FTP menu.

Last edited:

Conor Knoxx

I have had a Mutoh ValueJet 1204 for about 6 months now (my first printer, and also, I"m pretty "low volume" ) - and I am just overjoyed with its functionality, quality and overall performance.

I've not had any bad chips (again, I don't go through that many cartridges - probably on about my 4th set).

My opinion on third party inks is that I simply won't use them. In my $50 canon or HP? sure, why not - the output's not that critical - and printer itself has absolutely no value (cartridges are worth more) But for my "professional quality, high-durability signs" - no way.

The cost of the ink is (so I've been told) about $0.50 a sq. ft. So.. you can save, what?... 25% or 30% on aftermarket inks - 10 or 15 cents a foot? Worth introducing all those "unknowns" for that? Not me. On top of everything Randy said about the equipment itself, and the potential to damage it (down-time and expense) - I also "don't know" how well they will stand up over time.

I know many of the cheap aftermarket inkjets you get don't have NEARLY the sharpness or durabilty of the OEM's in consumer class, cheapo printers. Seeing a beatiful and painstakingly built sign looking like a faded and old bit of "junk" after 1, 2 or even 3 years will not do my reputation a bit of good, and I have no way of knowing it would happen, until its too late.

Anyway.. just my spin. I guess if you're using a set of cartridges every week, it might "seem" like a big savings... but if you're doing that much printing, you're taking in some big-bucks, and it should still be pretty minor, in the overall picture.

Graphics2u

When reporting smart card issues:

Please provide your printer serial number and the situation in which the chips failed in your call to your dealer (and or Mutoh) along with your contact information. Every issue is being tracked..

Randy,

Is this a Valuejet only problem? Because just this week the same thing happened to me on My Falcon II Outdoor. I was able to play with the cartridges enough and got it back up and running. That has never happened before on this printer. Is it something I should be concerned about from now on?

randya

Randy,

Is this a Valuejet only problem? Because just this week the same thing happened to me on My Falcon II Outdoor. I was able to play with the cartridges enough and got it back up and running. That has never happened before on this printer. Is it something I should be concerned about from now on?

Mutoh is not the only printer with chips and not the only printer with chip problems.

Chips are chips, though it sounds as if yours was probably either an alignment or cleanliness issue.
There are apparently a number of reasons for these chip issues, the latest firmware releases have added some features to try and reduce the chance of chip issues.

The reported issues are actually down proportionately and should continue to drop as improvement are made. We are hopeful that another 70-80% of these issues are being resolved with recently implimented changes.

Sparky

4 chips later...and I am still not printing.

Chipped cards need to die - My printer has been turned off for 5 days now.

THIS HURTS.