• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

help with logo

dortonracing

I dont have experience in graphic design, This is a side job that im wanting to start and grow. As you can tell i asked for help for a reason... And that was to get help, NOT to be insulted.

Last edited:

Dan Antonelli

Dorton,

Here are a few dozen articles on design that you can download from my web site. There's a lot of examples, lot of design theory, and also things that may spark some ideas. Take a look, and see if they can help. Not to sound self serving, but my books may also benefit you as they examine some fundamentals on logo design. Also on my site is about 200+ logos we've done, that also may inspire you.

http://graphicd-signs.com/html/articles.htm

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I dont have experience in graphic design, This is a side job that im wanting to start and grow. As you can tell i asked for help for a reason... And that was to get help, NOT to be insluted.

You will get insulted, that is probably more forum/internet mentality than you. You also may need to learn a little forum courtesy too, but if you stick around, you will get the hang of it. We have a lot of traffic on this site, many newbies coming in and out... experience is a good indicator that you will not stay long, most, if not all of us hope you do stay.

Knowing you know nothing about graphic design is a big help. Many graphic designers I know go to school, spend 100k+ to learn it. Myself I did some schooling, mostly apprenticed. I had to do a lot of brush cleaning and floor sweeping before getting to the good stuff.

I would read Dans articles as a good start, I have probably read all of them through the years myself and I have both his books.

Now that the insulting part is done and over with...

While you are reading Dans articles, Who's logos do you like? What type of signs/design do you want to learn?

dortonracing

ok im reading so of dans stuff, On those logos, there just clear colors, red and black, The image got messed up when i uploaded it. if that makes any difference, probably not tho... But Thanks Rick and Dan for helping im here to stay and to learn.

dortonracing

Attachments

• 413jep.jpg
    413jep.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 182
Last edited by a moderator:

Doyle

okay, still a far cry from a professional looking logo, but you certainly took a step in the right direction.

You have two of the best graphic designers in the industry (Rick and Dan) giving you very valuable advice, hell, Dan wrote the book(s) for crying out loud. I would take notes and listen to every word. Since you have no experience, would spend a lot of time reading about the design process, and learn from others' work.

You can learn a lot right here on Signs 101, get yourself a premium subscription and start reading the archives. I didn't mean to insult you, but l think that it is rather ignorant to come before this group and ask for someone to come up with something for your logo, that is just not how it works around here. Newbie posters that do this will get flamed every time.

Good luck!

dortonracing

no its not my area code, its a bible scripture (philippians 4:13) this logos would be going on like atv/mx graphic kits, rc wraps (when i figure out some templates) Stuff like that. not a huge outdoor sign, or anything nice and fancy. Just hobby stuff pretty much. But would still like to learn about graphic designs more. Thanks

grafixemporium

Dorton, I appreciate what you're trying to do. Before you get torn to shreds any further, you need to realize that this is a forum for professional sign makers, printers and graphic designers. It's not a place for hobbyists to come and get freebies. The very idea that you are asking for us all to contribute and draw you a logo for your "business" that is called "413 Signs & Design" is a bit crazy... almost unrealistic... as if you are pulling a prank. If this is real, and you are serious, take what you've been graciously given and go study on how to become a designer so you can become the best designer you can be.

Rick

When you ask are they any better, what are you trying to do? All you did was change the color. What logos do you like? Show them... What type of signs do you want to do? And will any of these logos fit your hobby/business direction. You will change it as you grow, but you should start doing it right the first time.

dortonracing

So you just want me to look around on google and find some logos i like and post them on here?

My regular job i own a tire & service shop. Fix, sell, and repair tires as small are lawn mower/atv tires all the way to tractor tire to big wheel loaders, anything that has tires pretty much.

klemgraphics

I started off the same way, just doing it on the side and learning as I went, mostly doing my family's racecars and some for other area racers for minimal profit. I can say that when I look back at the first few that I did...well lets just say I would be rather embarassed to show those pics. What a difference 10 years makes (wow I can't believe it's been that long). Now I operate a full service sign company and enjoy being my own boss.
I would suggest reading everything that you can find sign making related as well as check in here as often as possible. Don't think I would do anything for anyone else, paying customers at least, until you know what you are doing. There is a wealth of knowledge here so take everything you can from it and use it to the best of your ability.

Rick

So you just want me to look around on google and find some logos i like and post them on here?

My regular job i own a tire & service shop. Fix, sell, and repair tires as small are lawn mower/atv tires all the way to tractor tire to big wheel loaders, anything that has tires pretty much.

Yes, thats exactly what I am asking you to do... here is why, you are researching your preferred look, hopefully the direction you want your business to go and getting inspiration.... not to rip off someone's logo, but get a visual theme going.

It looks like your going for a wanna be Famous/bro look or old Volcom, but other than that, there is not much to say, you seem to not given it a lot of thought or research, just ornamentation.

This is what I do.

I don't know everyones business, if a gnome carver came in and wanted a logo, I have to research the competition, gnomes, and get a palette of visuals, color shapes then think about how to design it, what it's going to go on, how it will be printed, painted, maybe dimensional... this is how it is normally done...

You don't have to do it, but you might be wasting time till you do... really you can throw up logos and people will say "I like it" but have you put the effort in to make sure it is legible, will it work in various formats, identify what you do and compete?

Graphicdetailsinc

Whats funny is besides the all caps brush script and the giant white drop shadow, I think jill's layout is better than the ones you put together. Just get a pad and jot down what image you want to convey. If 413 is a scripture do you want some sort of icon to reference that? A dove, maybe an open book outline with 413 coming out of it, either way the font should be readable, clean, and most of all, if you are going to be 413 Signs and Designs, you really should either hire a designer, or understand design. What will you do when a customer comes in and wants a layout and or a design that you will be charging them for?

dortonracing

Here are a few i found that look pretty nice, i know there not for a sign shop.

Offsite Pic Replaced Photo Posting Rules

Attachments

• logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 178
  • logo3.jpg
    logo3.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 158
  • logo2.jpg
    logo2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 157
  • logo1.jpg