• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hemming a banner?

Jillbeans

I just opened a drop-ship ASAP banner blank and realized my supplier has sent me a 3'x5' rather than the 3'x4' which I ordered.
This is for indoor use in a school.
I do have a regular sewing machine and I do know how to sew.
#1 Will a regular machine be strong enough to hem a 13oz. banner?
#2 Will it hold up for indoor only use?
(I was thinking of making a rod pocket)
:thankyou:
Love....Jill

Replicator

AAG tried it with our Brother (home use) sewing machine and a large needle.

side-by-side stitch rows . . . It worked just fine !

btropical.com

Luckily we have boat upholstery people right around the block , maybe try calling or stopping by a boat sales place ask who does there tops .

JoySigns

Use a heavy duty needle and thread. If you have any scrap pieces of banner around practice on it to get the tension right.

Mainframe

Hey Jill, I have bandana banner on a roll I can trade you or I can hem & grommet with tape pretty quick if you get down my way, call me if you want-724-843-5400
Bill

TheSnowman

I'd think you would bust your machine up if it isn't industrial. If they are indoors, we just use the banner hemming tape Feller's sells.

3dsignco

Just use Clear PVC glue (The exact same stuff for Pipe.) and glue the Hem. Dries in about 20 minutes

D

Digitall

You can sew 13oz with a decent home machine, but as mentioned above run two rows. If you have a sewing store close get a two in one needle and it will sew a nice parallel double seam on the front and locks them in on the back. reinforce the ends with going back and forth. It will be fine. We do it all the time with a huskavarna home machine for indoor use.

ChicagoGraphics

Sewing on a home sewing machine will not work, the needle gets heated up and starts to melt the vinyl. Get some 2way tape and hem It that way.

Jillbeans

Thanks for all the suggestions.
And for the phonecall from Mainframe.
Ended up trying some VHB tape I had.
So far, so good!
I would have traded out something with Bill, but this is due today and I already had all the vynull cut for a 3'x4'.
I may try stitching the piece I cut off just to test the sewing machine.
If that works, I will try to stich the banner.
But I think the VHB will work.
Also heated the fold with a hair dryer as Bill suggested on the phone, it helped a lot.
Thanks!

TheProfessor

we have a regular home sewing machine and we just sewed 200 banners with it and its fine... no melting... we sew all our banners with that same sewing machine and have never had a problem...

Gordy Saunders

I sew banner with a home machine. I use a needle designed for leather. I get them at JOANNE FABRICS. I use a nylon thread. It works great.

D

Digitall

Oh, come on.... how would the needle stay any cooler on a pro machine? Liquid cooled needles?[/quote The harder you work the hotter you get. Industrial machines are pulling the threads with pullers or a walking foot, etc, creating way less friction on the needle that is doing most of the work on a home machine. (for whatever it's worth)

D

Digitall

I 'm not going to debate sewing issues on this, the day before Easter, however we have several machines up to a 12 needle Kansai and sew like the wind daily. It is my opinion that I am right.

Thank you
Rick

signs2trade

we have been hemming our inside and outside banners for 6 years with banner tape. we always put two grommets in each corner incase one pulls out. we have had no problems with the banner tape. for a banner inside you dont need to even hem it. just pop your grommets in it and your done....