• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hemming a banner?

Jackpine

Ditto! Banner tape and grommets would be more than enough for indoors and plenty for outdoor temp or light use banners.
we have been hemming our inside and outside banners for 6 years with banner tape. we always put two grommets in each corner incase one pulls out. we have had no problems with the banner tape. for a banner inside you dont need to even hem it. just pop your grommets in it and your done....

D

Digitall

How do you keep the hems from "puckering" when using banner tape. I have seen some aweful looking ones and some good ones. Is ther a tape that is better than others. Yes you can cut and hang without hemming, but it sure gives a traditional look and keeps fraying down on certain materials when you sew.

signpro

Manager
I sew banner with a home machine. I use a needle designed for leather. I get them at JOANNE FABRICS. I use a nylon thread. It works great.

same here. just set it to make big wide far-apart stitches, or you'll pretty much just perforate the banner and make it weak. for indoor use, you could even get by with standard cotton thread, it won't see much wind/stress. we use our normal sewing machine all the time for stitching 13oz banners for indoor use. no problems here. good luck!

rambo555

I've not had a chance to use one, but I watched a video on it. It looks difficult. I like challanges, but not interested in doing this for low cost banners. That being said, the results were awesome and made sense for the huge banners being spliced on teh video.

shooter

I use the tape as well. I have also seen outdoor banners seamed with this to put sections together. Any one have experience with this? I need to print some 6' banners on my 54" machine. :thankyou:

chicagoprinting

The best vinyl adhesive I have found is HH 66. This is specially formulated for vinyl. It is solvent based, so it will affect the ink, be carefull when you use it.
Other device I have found, I did not tried yet is , is a heat welder, looks like an ultrasonic welder but is not, http://www.youtube.com/v/HCOaB3efM7...xcd311b&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1
I found it at Sign Outlet Store. Since it is local I will try to go there to test it.

Last edited by a moderator:

parrott

The best vinyl adhesive I have found is HH 66. This is specially formulated for vinyl. It is solvent based, so it will affect the ink, be carefull when you use it.
Other device I have found, I did not tried yet is , is a heat welder, looks like an ultrasonic welder but is not, http://www.youtube.com/v/HCOaB3efM7...xcd311b&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1
I found it at Sign Outlet Store. Since it is local I will try to go there to test it.

I second the HH 66. We have been using it for years and have never had any problems. You can buy it through Snyder Manufacturing.

J Hill Designs

this is the best method to use banner tape that I have found...

I use a slightly different approach. After trimming to size (1" larger than finish size) I turn the banner over. Butting my 4' ruler (that just happens to be 2 1/8" wide) to the edge of the vinyl, I draw a line from one end to the other. I apply the tape between the line and the edge of the banner. I then fold the edge of the banner up to the upper edge of the tape, starting in the middle and working to the ends. The extra 1/8" adds a small air pocket that allows all the air to escape when I squeegee over the seam.

This way I can see the tape; it's not on the underside as I fold, and I have a line to follow that gives me a nice straight edge, and the small gap guarantees no trapped air bubbles.

chicagoprinting

this is the best method to use banner tape that I have found...

I use a Walmart ruler to trim the banner. It has aprox 1.1" width. (align the ruler at the cut line mark). After turning the banner with the printed side to table, I apply the banner tape right by the edge of the trimmed banner material. I fold the hem at the cut line mark (set in RIP software). I will have a 1.1" hem (1" for banner tape and 0.1" for air release chanel)

phototec

I contacted these folks (in China), was ready to make the purchase, however, they informed me that the machine was ONLY for joining two pieces of vinyl banner together, and NOT for hemming. I think it would work for hemming, but after they told me it would not work for that application, I let the idea pass.

However, I have a 54" printer, and if I get a job which requires larger banners, I may purchase it. One of the main reasons this is so cheap, your are cutting out all the middle men in the US, purchasing directly from the mfg.

chicagoprinting

I contacted these folks (in China), was ready to make the purchase, however, they informed me that the machine was ONLY for joining two pieces of vinyl banner together, and NOT for hemming. I think it would work for hemming, but after they told me it would not work for that application, I let the idea pass.

However, I have a 54" printer, and if I get a job which requires larger banners, I may purchase it. One of the main reasons this is so cheap, your are cutting out all the middle men in the US, purchasing directly from the mfg.

Doing hems with a heat welder is not as easy at it looks at the first time. Take a look at this machine: http://www.signoutletstore.com/2980874e1ae71d9e9137e401c276e9ab

Tom

Larry L

I did some test with banner tape only to find it works 75% better if you use a heat gun and a heavy duty roller like a speed press over the seam. With grommets placed 18" apart or so, I get a pretty good flat seam.

Larry L

How do you keep the hems from "puckering" when using banner tape. I have seen some aweful looking ones and some good ones. Is ther a tape that is better than others. Yes you can cut and hang without hemming, but it sure gives a traditional look and keeps fraying down on certain materials when you sew.

As I said in the last post, add heat and roll after. My test strips w/o heat would billow up because of the sharp 180 deg. angle. The adhesive also bonds better. I heat from the back side about 1"sec 2-3" off the plastic. Fairly hot.

Replicator

I tested this a few weeks back.

Took some banner material and folded a hem, then walked over to the heat press, 20 seconds later a perfect hem.

No tape, no thread, no fuss . . . it was permanently fused together with a perfect natural weld.

Who'd a thunk ?