• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hemming a banner?

DigitalBBQ

All tape hemming will produce uneven folding along edges. When the heat from the sun hit it on using outdoor, it curl up like a early 50's lady hair style. If you doing about 10 of the 3x5 banners, you will get really frustrated about folding and folding and insert these tapes. Small order is o.k. But sewing machine will take over competition on speed, volumn, investment, etc. The only thing is the learning of the sewing machine. Threading the needles, tension, oiling, etc.

Home sewing machine is o.k. and you can get by with it. But most of them have bobbins which you have to refill it. You want a chain stitch machine there is no bobbins and no spooling ordeal. Sewing and sewing and sewing, all day long.

Industrial sewing machine with double needles, and needle feed with puller will help a lot.
$2000+ price tag but it take over competition when compare to tape hemm ( 10+ feet long or more will have poor results ) , or heat seal method (not all banner material is heat sealable).

You can do 2x4 banner in about 2 minutes top! And straight , no puckering up, etc.

phototec

Banner Pro

Doing hems with a heat welder is not as easy at it looks at the first time. Take a look at this machine: http://www.signoutletstore.com/2980874e1ae71d9e9137e401c276e9ab

Tom

I know of this machine called the Banner Pro, there have been other threads about it on Signs101 (search: Banner Pro). One person even said it's actually just a large bag sealer that has been modified with a try to hold the roll of material. I was going to search for the sealer on Google and make my own modifications (metal tray). Might be a lot cheaper than the $1,300 for the Banner Pro.

Farmboy

I tried it Fri. at the shop. had the press at 305, we were doing some heat apply. At 20 seconds it did a surprisingly good job at joining the seam. I covered the banner with a teflon sheet top and bottom. I'll have to try the higher temp just for $hit$ and grins.
Thanks

phototec

Heat Press to hem banners?

I tested this a few weeks back.

Took some banner material and folded a hem, then walked over to the heat press, 20 seconds later a perfect hem.

No tape, no thread, no fuss . . . it was permanently fused together with a perfect natural weld.

Who'd a thunk ?

Do you use something to protect the banner material from sticking to the heat press? Please explain the process in detail?

Thanks

Replicator

I was just coming back to post this since I tried it. Really cool trick. It seems to melt it together nicely, plus you get a great edge.

Thanks for suggesting it and I'm glad I tried it. :)

It would be a pain in the arse on a 4FTx10FT banner, but hey, it works !