• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Here's how I spent my weekend... building vinyl racks.

GypsyGraphics

Those natural wood and stainless steel cabinets look like ones I saw at Sam's club, is that where you got them? How do you like them?

yes i did get those at sam's club. love them!! they're heavy, super sturdy, the draws guilds are really nice (i'm picky about that) and they have decent industrial wheels. the only thing i'd buy differently is... see the square cabinet that fits under the table on the right? well now you can buy that cabinet with draws on one side and cabinet on the other. i just happen to like draws.
shop_cabinets.jpg

phototec

yes i did get those at sam's club. love them!! they're heavy, super sturdy, the draws guilds are really nice (i'm picky about that) and they have decent industrial wheels. the only thing i'd buy differently is... see the square cabinet that fits under the table on the right? well now you can buy that cabinet with draws on one side and cabinet on the other. i just happen to like draws.
View attachment 56152

Yep, I purchased the moble cart with door on the left and drawers on the right, here in TX about $157. I had my eye on the larger three section unit that you have and they also have a table, heck they even have a matching tall storage cabinet for about $200.

GypsyGraphics

that's the table there in the photo, you can only see part of it. those carts fit nicely under the table. i wish i could add a second cabinet but there a hose bib in that open space. been eyeballing those tall storage cabinets for a while now :loveya:

iSign

i wish i could add a second cabinet but there a hose bib in that open space...

no problem, just drop a small bar sink in the new cabinet & use a laundry tub faucet with hose threads on it. Kill the water main, do a little plumbing, & away you go... every good shop needs a good bar sink :thumb:

phototec

Standard two car garage?

GG, I to have my shop in the garage also, how do you keep the bugs out?

I get a lot of spider webs, etc.

I also see you have insulated garage doors, nice, I have them also, which brings up another question, how do you heat/cool the space?

It it a standard size two car garage, about 20'x24'?

Thanks,

Jon

GypsyGraphics

no problem, just drop a small bar sink in the new cabinet & use a laundry tub faucet with hose threads on it. Kill the water main, do a little plumbing, & away you go... every good shop needs a good bar sink :thumb:
OMG that's an awesome idea! my first thought was that i couldn't afford to give up an inch of counter space but then i thought, why not make a cover for the sink with the piece of counter top that i cut out!!!!

I can just hear my husband now, when i tell him what i'm going to do.... "aaand now you're a plumber!"

You have no idea how funny the timing is for this suggestion! I'm so tempted to show you a pic of something i got caught with last night... a purchase i couldn't justify and probably one that only a plumber would buy... but i couldn't resist! It's just too freak'n funny to be buried in this thread though. With your sink suggestion... this story is worthy of it's own thread! Vindication Is Mine... stay tuned!

GypsyGraphics

GG, I to have my shop in the garage also, how do you keep the bugs out?
i made a tiny little sign that says "no bugs allowed"

I get a lot of spider webs, etc.
when i saw two spiders reading the sign, i squashed one and yelled "go tell your friends" as the other scurried away. haven't seen another spider since.

I also see you have insulated garage doors, nice, I have them also, which brings up another question, how do you heat/cool the space?
i used to have insulation inserts and they made a HUGE difference. then a few years ago i got those garage doors that look like wood carriage doors. they're super thick, weigh a ton and provide an amazing heat barrier. i was really shocked at the difference it made. it's pretty comfortable so i haven't needed any cooling or heating. that's probably because i mostly work out there late at night.
it does get a little stuffy in the summer time though. so on the small garage door where my work table sits, i have a screen rolled and attached to the bottom of the garage door. that way, with the door rolled up and the screen rolled down, i have great ventilation AND no bugs.

Is it a standard size two car garage, about 20'x24'?
it a three car garage the single side is 11'x18'
and the double side is 18'x22'

Thanks,
Jon
thanks -gg

GypsyGraphics

Thanks for posting this.
What type of wood are you using and the size?

Brain, the wood i used was 8' lengths of clear pine, 1" x 6"

i'm glad you asked because i think, earlier in this thread, i misspoke and answered "yes" to someone who asked if it was 1/2" x 6"

ready to build a few more myself when i can find the time.

Brandon708

Brain, the wood i used was 8' lengths of clear pine, 1" x 6"

i'm glad you asked because i think, earlier in this thread, i misspoke and answered "yes" to someone who asked if it was 1/2" x 6"

ready to build a few more myself when i can find the time.

that was me who said 1/2" but it's really 1" but it measures 3/4". lol

signmeup

Good God! What a nice shop! I guess you don't work with HDU. I have a dusty green film on everything I own.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Do you think those 1x6's are strong enough to hold 48" media rolls of banner, paper, and laminate as well?

I have a bunch of 15/24" vinyl rolls but also some 48" rolls for our printer. Moving them away from the carousel floor racks to the wall will give us a lot more room.

GypsyGraphics

Do you think those 1x6's are strong enough to hold 48" media rolls of banner, paper, and laminate as well?

I have a bunch of 15/24" vinyl rolls but also some 48" rolls for our printer. Moving them away from the carousel floor racks to the wall will give us a lot more room.

The rack for 24" media is 1"x6"
but the 30" rack is 1" x 8"
thought i needed more depth for the 50 yard rolls
turned out even the 24" rack can hold 50 yr rolls

they are both sturdy as hell
if the rods were metal, i could climb the thing like a ladder :weeeee:
i'm certain 48" rolls would be no problem!

GypsyGraphics

Gypsy Shop Management
Purveyor of Fine Order and Arrangement
555-555-1212
i'll be holding a "meditation & enlightenment" session after hours
join me in the lotus position on the work table won't you
:eek:ooommmm:

followed by "fun with vinyl"

auto-fx... you do realize once we change our avatars back, these posts won't make much sense :tongue: