• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How are you trimming your 8 ft length Photo tex wall murals?

Dan Berg

Adding wall murals in our business. Presently printing with Epsons 9900 mostly 36" and 42" widths and lengths to about 98".
The long 8' sides need to be trimmed perfectly so they are ready to hang with their 1/2" overlap.
I have a small roata trim and also a 4' purple ruler but neither are suitable.
The rotatrim electric model is a little pricy at least at startup.
Any suggestions from folks printing large Phototex wall murals.
Thanks
Dan Berg

Last edited by a moderator:

adamfilip

I have a Keencut Evolution E2, but have difficulty lining up the print/board
if i line up the left end perfect and then go to the right end and make an adjustment the left end moves out of position. with one person this is a tedious process of aligning the cut. I've tried clamping one end and sliding the other. but it still moves. any suggestions on how to align it.. easily

LenR

Javelin on a Big Bench.
It cuts right thru the middle of a 96"crop line (if u want to be anal in setting it up!)

Letterbox Mike

Razor blade, steel ruler and a big bench works for me.

+1

With Phototex, you'll get a much nicer installation if you increase your overlap to 3/4" or 1" and double-cut the seam once applied (meaning cut down the middle of the overlap through both layers, and then pull up the underlying and overlying overlapped pieces, re-squeegee, and you're left with a perfect butt joint. Phototex is not 100% opaque so overlapped seams will stand out.

Doing this also requires a less perfect trim on the panels, a ruler and Xacto are all you need.

Letterbox Mike

We've been using it for about 4 years now like this and I've never seen it shrink back. That said, I prefer true wallpaper most of the time, I don't like how transparent Phototex is, it creates issues sometimes, but it's still a good material for certain applications. We used to use a lot of regular vinyl or wall vinyl for murals that didn't call for wallpaper but we're strictly Phototex now, all installed like I said.

MikePro

i prefer making my own straight edges out of 1/4" clear plexi/lexan scrap. being able to see-thru helps me notice if i'm slightly bowed/offpath.

Got 2each of 10', 8.5', 6.5', 4.5', and 2.5'. The longer ones with 1" strips of vinyl on them for banner hem tape templates. If the edges ever get knicked-up, we just toss'em and make new ones.

jasonx

+1

With Phototex, you'll get a much nicer installation if you increase your overlap to 3/4" or 1" and double-cut the seam once applied (meaning cut down the middle of the overlap through both layers, and then pull up the underlying and overlying overlapped pieces, re-squeegee, and you're left with a perfect butt joint. Phototex is not 100% opaque so overlapped seams will stand out.

Doing this also requires a less perfect trim on the panels, a ruler and Xacto are all you need.

Do you run fine line tape first where your going to cut? If your on plaster walls how do you ensure your not going to cut into the plaster?

Mike_Koval

We've been using it for about 4 years now like this and I've never seen it shrink back. That said, I prefer true wallpaper most of the time, I don't like how transparent Phototex is, it creates issues sometimes, but it's still a good material for certain applications. We used to use a lot of regular vinyl or wall vinyl for murals that didn't call for wallpaper but we're strictly Phototex now, all installed like I said.

If your not happy with the transparency of the Photoex, have you tried the Seramark fabric wall graphic material? I prefer the opacity, white point and the fact that the Seramark is also CPSIA compliant. If you are interested in a sample, let me know. Thanks!

Letterbox Mike

Do you run fine line tape first where your going to cut? If your on plaster walls how do you ensure your not going to cut into the plaster?

No, we just hold a straight edge on the wall and cut it that way.

As far as cutting into the wall, it's sort of like trimming a wrap on a car... Sharp blade and just enough pressure. It's wise to tell customers you have to trim on the wall to an extent, and realistically they should expect a minimal amount of repair and touchup work when the graphic is removed.

boxerbay

+1

thanks for this tip.

OP - keencut evo 104" here. OR Oldschool get a 10' piece of flat steel bar.