• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How can I get this effect on the font?

Justin

Heya,

I'm wondering how I can get this effect on this font in Adobe Illustrator.

I'm needing the effect on the side POLICE part. The font, and then the space, then outline.

Is that two offset paths, or what?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    406.1 KB · Views: 104

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wel-l-l-l-ll... since you wanna be so evasive about your profile, it's really hard to tell what you do or don't know about software, or at least your efficiency in it, if you're asking such a basic question.

Outlines are about the easiest thing to do, next to spelling a word correctly and outputting it.

This is one of the more recognizable fonts in the industry and you didn't know that either from another thread.

What's the scoop ??

SignManiac

The simplest way is to first cut out the word POLICE but don't weed it yet. Then get a set of calipers. Set the spacing on your calipers to the distance you want your offset to be. Carefully trace around the perimeter of your original cut line. Once that is done, take a #11 exacto knife and hand cut the outer line. Repeat that procedure once again to get the thickness of the outline. After that, you weed just like you normally would.

This is considered a special effect and therefore cost more to produce. Do not sell yourself short. It should sell for twice your normal lettering charge.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
The simplest way is to first cut out the word POLICE but don't weed it yet. Then get a set of calipers. Set the spacing on your calipers to the distance you want your offset to be. Carefully trace around the perimeter of your original cut line. Once that is done, take a #11 exacto knife and hand cut the outer line. Repeat that procedure once again to get the thickness of the outline. After that, you weed just like you normally would.

This is considered a special effect and therefore cost more to produce. Do not sell yourself short. It should sell for twice your normal lettering charge.

Fer sure. That's the way I do it.

SM forgot to mention that when you are setting up your word on the screen to cut, you need to add space between the letters to allow for the outlines you will add with the calipers after cutting. This is very important...

signage

Thanks now I have to get an other tool:banghead::frustrated::covereyes:

J

john1

All it is is a multiple outline. Would take 5 minutes in any vector art program.

BPI Color

Convert your text to outlines. Then convert the outlines to a compound path. Don't be shocked if it disappears. Illustrator often loses your fill and stroke info when you convert outlined text to a compound path. Next go to Object > Path > Offset Path. Be sure to check your preview button. Reenter the values and hit tab until you're satisfied with the result. Once you like what you see hit return. Then change the stroke and fill values on the outside path until you have what you want. This is pretty basic stuff.

Justin

SignManiac - Nice joke. You do realize this is not General Chit-Chat, right? Your reply basically was useless unless you are serious, and in that case if that's what you actually do I would like a video of you doing this. Also, you do realize this is posted in the Adobe software help subcategory, right?

oldgoatroper - Your reply basically was useless aswell.

signage - same, useless reply.

Pat White - same, useless reply.

Do you few go around this site looking for people to troll, or be rude to? I'm being serious here you few + ColoradoSigns tend to just troll every single person on this site. Don't believe me? Just look back at the threads on here and see who has posted these same type of useless replies countless times.

john1 - Well, thanks for telling me it's possible to do in any vector program. I posted this in the Adobe forum, and specified Illustrator for a reason, sir. Would you mind providing instructions on doing this in Illustrator?

BPI Color, I can do basic outlines, but what I don't get is do I do two outline strokes? How? I can make a general outline on the font with stroke, but how do I get the white area between the outlines?

HulkSmash

create a text.

go to type>Create Outlines.

then select your type, Type>Path>Offsetpath

select your your offset #. Click preview box to see how big it is.

make that an outline, increase stroke to the desired size. then outline.

J

john1

john1 - Well, thanks for telling me it's possible to do in any vector program. I posted this in the Adobe forum, and specified Illustrator for a reason, sir. Would you mind providing instructions on doing this in Illustrator?

Woah woah, sssssssir.

Attachments

• paper.jpg
    paper.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 81

Justin

All it is is a multiple outline. Would take 5 minutes in any vector art program.

Heya,

I'm wondering how I can get this effect on this font in Adobe Illustrator.

I'm needing the effect on the side POLICE part. The font, and then the space, then outline.

Is that two offset paths, or what?

Thanks!

create a text.

go to type>Create Outlines.

then select your type, Type>Path>Offsetpath

select your your offset #. Click preview box to see how big it is.

make that an outline, increase stroke to the desired size. then outline.

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...Do you few go around this site looking for people to troll, or be rude to? I'm being serious here you few + ColoradoSigns tend to just troll every single person on this site...

Not every single person. But then sometimes a functional idiot, especially one that seems to be a Serious Specimen, such as yourself turns up and the temptation can be overwhelming.

signage

Justin if you do not what your are trying do is called and do not know how to do the basics I think you have gotten into the wrong business/job!

SignManiac

Well in that case, read the book that came with your software. That's what I did long before there were any forums to make this business so easy for anyone to get into. Even the search feature of this site will turn up numerous threads about creating an outline stroke.

signage

Well in that case, read the book that came with your software. That's what I did long before there were any forums to make this business so easy for anyone to get into. Even the search feature of this site will turn up numerous threads about creating an outline stroke.

Thanks Signmaniac now that new tool I bought I really didn't need:banghead: and I thought you knew all:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: