• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How can I get this effect on the font?

niksagkram

Wow! And here I thought these Forums were for sign people to help sign people, experienced or otherwise. Sometimes the easiest tasks for some people can be a challange for others. Why try to belittle someone because they have less experience? JMHO

HulkSmash

SignManiac - Nice joke. You do realize this is not General Chit-Chat, right? Your reply basically was useless unless you are serious, and in that case if that's what you actually do I would like a video of you doing this. Also, you do realize this is posted in the Adobe software help subcategory, right?

oldgoatroper - Your reply basically was useless aswell.

signage - same, useless reply.

Pat White - same, useless reply.

Do you few go around this site looking for people to troll, or be rude to? I'm being serious here you few + ColoradoSigns tend to just troll every single person on this site. Don't believe me? Just look back at the threads on here and see who has posted these same type of useless replies countless times.

john1 - Well, thanks for telling me it's possible to do in any vector program. I posted this in the Adobe forum, and specified Illustrator for a reason, sir. Would you mind providing instructions on doing this in Illustrator?

BPI Color, I can do basic outlines, but what I don't get is do I do two outline strokes? How? I can make a general outline on the font with stroke, but how do I get the white area between the outlines?

Funny, I helped you, and you said i troll. What a waste of my time. Good thing you have clue what the term troll even means. Show me one troll post I've done. If something is bad people need to know. Don't they usually ask? I've helped more people on this site in the past 2 years, then you will with a 25 year membership. Last time i share any tips with you. Go become a telemarketer or something. People claim to be a sign maker, but don't know how to make a stroke. It's like an electrician asking how to install plug. Here everyone helps everyone. Sometimes there is a frustrating bash, ok.. who cares? It's the internet. People aren't going to always agree, or be all unicorns and fuzzy gentle teddy bears. I understand people are starting out. But it seems most people refuse to do research before getting into something, and then just want to suck all the information they can out of their competition, and then rage when someone questions it. How about YOU start giving hand outs and advice. Didn't think so.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
would this have been a better response?

http://bit.ly/MJ6Q3k

No, not really. I fail to understand why anyone would recommend seeking answers to any sign making question somewhere else before seeking it at Signs 101. We see, nearly everyday, members telling others to go to What the Font for their font IDs when there are experts here who do as good or better a job. In this thread we see a member in an early learning stage getting rude responses instead of simply supplying a helpful answer or just ignoring the question and moving on.

Just because a member fails to know enough to impress you isn't a reason to put him or her down or question their motivation for joining Signs 101. And it doesn't speak well of this community that the best answer to a question is to Google it or go to some other site.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nah Color, don't let 'em get to ya. Keep on giving. Next week they'll be 8 new ones that won't deserve your non-help attitude. Then you'll be ridiculed for that. Do you want to be on everyone's sh!t list ??

Do it like me..... it's like watching a 'Soap Opera' unfold and you're actually a part of it. Ever notice in those 'Soap Operas' they tell the same sh!t over and over everyday and then go back a re-cap three times a week and then have commercials about what's just happened and what's gonna happen and who gets killed in the end, but survives to come back with a brain transplant and has a long lost twin who eventually takes their place and the show just keeps repeating itself, just new names and new faces except for a few of the old timers that just keep on keepin' on.............. :omg2:

Heck, some of these old guys even die and come back to life, just to make us feel like we're in some kinda Twilight Zone movie.

Some fall by the wayside like the Isags and Cappies, but don't let them fool ya.... not for a minute. They're still here, just flying under the radar.

So be :cool1: and keep on givin' the spirit of sign making a new breath everyday.................:pops_blinking:

jfiscus

Rap Master
One thing not discussed is that you will first have to manually adjust your letter spacing so that your added outlines are not running into each other.

Personally, I don't like the offset path approach showed above; I'm more inclined to use the strokes/flatten transparency/pathfinder tools. But, there is nothing wrong with doing it either way.

This is an UGLY police scheme you're trying to duplicate... no offense to you, as you're not the original designer apparently. Is it all just cut reflective blue or is there white in-between the outlines?

J Hill Designs

No, not really. I fail to understand why anyone would recommend seeking answers to any sign making question somewhere else before seeking it at Signs 101. We see, nearly everyday, members telling others to go to What the Font for their font IDs when there are experts here who do as good or better a job. In this thread we see a member in an early learning stage getting rude responses instead of simply supplying a helpful answer or just ignoring the question and moving on.

Just because a member fails to know enough to impress you isn't a reason to put him or her down or question their motivation for joining Signs 101. And it doesn't speak well of this community that the best answer to a question is to Google it or go to some other site.

I respectfully disagree - you cant find a thorough tutorial online to match a font - but you can find one to do what the OP asked - if he said 'help i cant find a tutorial anywhere to double outline a font', the responses may have been a little different. but he is asking how to get 'this effect' as if he cant even describe to himself what it is...

HulkSmash

I respectfully disagree - you cant find a thorough tutorial online to match a font - but you can find one to do what the OP asked - if he said 'help i cant find a tutorial anywhere to double outline a font', the responses may have been a little different. but he is asking how to get 'this effect' as if he cant even describe to himself what it is...

not to mention most of the time, we're going to link a you tube video ourselves to show how it's done, right?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

What I was trying to communicate is that my view of Signs 101 is not that we should be a clearinghouse for where on the internet one might find an answer to whatever they need to know at the time. Rather, that answer should be supplied by the Signs 101 community for the benefit of both the current seeker and all who may seek the same solution in the future.

I can see providing a link to another page somewhere if it specifically answers the question. I don't see telling any member that what he wants to know is something he could just Google and that Signs 101 has nothing to offer on its own that isn't as good or better.

Do that enough and pretty soon Signs 101 becomes a ghost town.

An important part of what Signs 101 offers its members is a venue where all who seek to be better and more profitable as professional sign makers can meet and interact regardless of experience or even talent. I think the best response to the OP would have been to first tell him what the correct terminology was for what he wanted to do and then how one would best go about doing it.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
What's really odd, is that the OP posted the answer to his own question in his first post.

"Is that two offset paths, or what?"

Ummmmm, if he couldn't reason that out with a little logic, then at least he could have tried it and he would have had his answer.

This is really, really basic stuff.

It would be like if a person bought a van to go into business delivering goods, having only just got his driver's license. Then asking a bunch of seasoned delivery drivers if using reverse gear is necessary to back up to a loading dock.

anotherdog

I guess the frustrating part is context.

What circumstances put someone who is a little shy on the basics of offsetting a stroke with the contract to letter a police car.

We (must of us) are volunteering knowledge in exchange for the "story". When someone just comes on and says "anyone know how you print on a solvent printer?" with no context it seems to call for a blood sacrifice.

I would like to know the back story... like "my cousin left me in charge of the sign shop and we have an emergency sign job..."

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.

What circumstances put someone who is a little shy on the basics of offsetting a stroke with the contract to letter a police car.

We (must of us) are volunteering knowledge in exchange for the "story". When someone just comes on and says "anyone know how you print on a solvent printer?" with no context it seems to call for a blood sacrifice.

I would like to know the back story... like "my cousin left me in charge of the sign shop and we have an emergency sign job..."

Yes, I too, would like to know why he is asking something so basic.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

Yes, I too, would like to know why he is asking something so basic.

I don't disagree with that aspect. The OP did more than his share of contributing to the responses he got. Speaking for myself, I was more than a little put off by his changing of his profile to read N/A for "need to know" or at least "nice to know" information such as software and hardware being used.

My take on that is that when a member does that he is saying "Help me but don't expect me to be open and honest with you." But that's another matter and I digress.

The bottom line is that rude replies and sending a member elsewhere for answers does nothing to benefit our community, help us to retain members, get new members, and keep both our traffic and quality levels high.

J

john1

I agree that sometimes people on the forums can act ignorant to "simple" questions to us who know how to complete the asked task.

It's almost like questions regarding someone coming into the industry make people put up a defensive wall for whatever reason and questions like this one make people poke fun because it's a "simple" task.

Not taking sides but just saying.

Fatboy

Fred you are a master. I agree wholeheartedly with you.

Ps JDEHILL My opinion of you have always been high but after your response to Fred where you mention that you see his point I have an even bigger opinion of you.Well done.It is easy to get cocky or ignore but to come back and bring something to the table....that is being a real man.
Just thought I will mention that:U Rock:

Deaton Design

We all started somewhere. ALot of us started many years ago with a brush and paint, and I can tell you, I was completely lost on what materials to use, etc. Local signguys wouldnt give me the time of day, and I sorta understand that now. Luckily, one of my family members saw Signcraft somewhere and sent me a gift sub. That opened the door for me. I found out everything I needed to know plus some. Now, with the invention of the vinyl cutter, printers and more, everything is computerized, and these programs, unless you have experience beforehand, are not that easy to run. Some of the features are hard to figure out. I do think the OP could have found his answer on the net, but it was a pretty simple question, and could have been answered in one line basically, but, saying that, I understand why people answer the way they do. This business has became bloated with all types of people that want to do signs, but sometimes dont take the time to research and find out just what it takes to do them. When I need to know something on here, I usually search the archives first, then ask questions if I dont find it. Fred made the point though, he wants the site to grow and to help everyone ,not just a core group that has been here a long time. Its a completly different business than it was years ago, guess we have to just adapt to the times.

Fatboy

We all started somewhere. ALot of us started many years ago with a brush and paint, and I can tell you, I was completely lost on what materials to use, etc. Local signguys wouldnt give me the time of day, and I sorta understand that now. Luckily, one of my family members saw Signcraft somewhere and sent me a gift sub. That opened the door for me. I found out everything I needed to know plus some. Now, with the invention of the vinyl cutter, printers and more, everything is computerized, and these programs, unless you have experience beforehand, are not that easy to run. Some of the features are hard to figure out. I do think the OP could have found his answer on the net, but it was a pretty simple question, and could have been answered in one line basically, but, saying that, I understand why people answer the way they do. This business has became bloated with all types of people that want to do signs, but sometimes dont take the time to research and find out just what it takes to do them. When I need to know something on here, I usually search the archives first, then ask questions if I dont find it. Fred made the point though, he wants the site to grow and to help everyone ,not just a core group that has been here a long time. Its a completly different business than it was years ago, guess we have to just adapt to the times.

:goodpost: