• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do I bevel text in Illustrator? Please help...

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Thanks Eric.
Maybe I should explain why I want to do this. I want to send a file to be printed. The file is done in Corel and the printer guy uses Illustrator. When I convert the file to Illy, I get pixelated beveled lettering. The sign will be 60" x 48". Should I send him some other sort of file? I have never had this problem before because I have never tried to send a file with beveled lettering before.

I don't have Corel. I would be interested to know how corel does this and if it is a true vector in corel or simulated

signmeup

BTW... I have discovered that you can open Illy files in CorelX4 by clicking on "open..."
Illustrator won't open a Corel file no matter what I've tried. Anyone know the trick?

signmeup

I don't have Corel. I would be interested to know how corel does this and if it is a true vector in corel or simulated
Eric... it's a similated bevel. You can't break it apart and get the shapes. I can tell you that it does this effect with a single click though. Then you mess with the siders to fine tune the effect. It's so simple I can do it.

You should see it in Xara.... mind boggling.

signmeup

I just select it and drag and drop.
Hmmmm...... I can't seem to drag and drop from Photoshop to Illustrator. As soon as I click the graphic in PS, Illy disappears! I can cut and paste but I don't get the bevel that way... just a solid coloured bitmap of the font.

Deaton Design

If you do the bevel in photoshop, and save as a png file, you can import it in, and it will have a transparent background.

Deaton Design

In the sample here, I typed in the lettering in illustrator, I then used the create outlines command (convert to curves), copied and pasted into photoshop on a transparent background, added the bevel effect, saved as a png file , then placed it in illustrator and added the outlines behind it.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 72

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Hmmmm...... I can't seem to drag and drop from Photoshop to Illustrator. As soon as I click the graphic in PS, Illy disappears! I can cut and paste but I don't get the bevel that way... just a solid coloured bitmap of the font.

psd files will come into illustrator with transparent backgrounds, assuming you create the file in photoshop as such. Illustrator will not automatically remove white from an existing image

No need to import, just simply opening psd in Illustrator will retain the transparency

SignManiac

I design in CorelDraw, make a copy of my vector text, copy and paste into photopaint where I use Alien Skin plugin to do my bevel. Alien does a better job of it than Corels bevel tool. When I'm happy with my bevel I copy & paste it back to CorelDraw and powerclip with my original line of vector text to clean up the edges with or without an outline.

signmeup

Yeah... you can do the bevel in Corel Photopaint too. It has a few more options than regular Draw, but I gotta send the file to a guy who doesn't have Corel draw for printing.

thewood

Create the text in Illustrator at full size. Place the text into Photoshop. Add the bells and whistles. Export as a psd at the appropriate resolution. Import the psd into Illustrator and use the original text as a clipping mask for the raster image.

TheSellOut

SignMe when I use to outsource my printing a general rule of thumb was that I could set my file up at a ¼ of the actual size with a 300dpi and it always enlarged fine.

SignManiac

Here's the result Adrian. The original size of the word text was 13"h. x 63"w.

Attachments

• bevel text.jpg
    bevel text.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 114

SignManiac

Yeah... you can do the bevel in Corel Photopaint too. It has a few more options than regular Draw, but I gotta send the file to a guy who doesn't have Corel draw for printing.

Can't you just send him a bitmap file at full size 100 dpi? He should be able to import and print that as is.

signmeup

Can't you just send him a bitmap file at full size 100 dpi? He should be able to import and print that as is.
Say what.....? You mean I spent 3 hours in hell (I mean Illustrator) when I coulda just sent him a big jpeg?!

I gotta go beat the @#$%^&^ outta the dog.... be right back.

GoodPeopleFlags

Or export the .cdr as an .eps. Illy won't open cdr files but it will open .eps.

Or send a raster file, like what the above poster said.

Tim Kingston

Here's a suggestion for now and in the future. Do whatever work in Illustrator you are comfortable with. Select it. Copy it. Paste into Photoshop as a SMART OBJECT. Apply all the bevel effects you want and save out the PSD file with layers. Then save a copy as whatever format you need ( jpeg, tiff etc.).

The advantage of doing it this way is everything is still editable in the PSD file. So, if you need to make a change on you original Illustrator artwork ( spelling, colour etc.), just open the PSD file double click on the little smart object icon ( layers panel, beside the eye ) and the artwork opens in Illustrator, make your changes, save and close. The PSD is automatically updated including all the layers styles (bevel , emboss etc. ).

If for some reason they need a cut file ( Versaworks ) as an example. Open the PSD file. Select what needs to be cut using whatever selection tools works best for you. With the selection active right click on it ( if using windows ) and then save it as a work path ( name it in the Paths palate ) this will save the path with you PSD file for future use.

If you want to export that path , just go under FILE/ export/ export paths to Illustrator. It'll probably prompt you to name and save it somewhere. Anyways now you can open that saved .ai file anytime and apply a stroke colour (CutContour spot colour as an example ) to use as your cut file.

I know this sounds a little complicated but just go through the steps and you can have the best of both worlds, still have everything editable and keep all your vector data. Also , I find Photoshop's vector tools ( the pen tool for example ) more intuitive than Illustrator. Plus you can you Photoshop's many selection tools to create vectors via the work path method.

Hope this helps, Tim.

GoodPeopleFlags

Thanks, Tim! I've started working with Photoshop more lately and was wondering if should choose smart objects or pixels when pasting. Now I know the difference! Thanks!