• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how do i wrap a helmet

just signs

were new to this forum,we operate out of the niagara falls new york area, we use flexi 8.1 version software and have a roland cx-24 cutter . we have been lettering for about five years now and are expanding toward the wrap field,we have several helmets that we use weekly for our own personal use and are looking to try to wrap them. not to sure of the best way and we are new to this online stuff so please excuse our inexperience any advice on this matter would be greatly appriciated thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Flame

Not going to get much advice if you don't first introduce yourself and give some more details. Advice is 100% free. ;)

TheSnowman

Must be a dangerous office if you all have to wear helmets weekly. There's no easy way to wrap a helmet...practice practice practice. It's like askin', "How much is a sign?" Lots of variables. Just don't put any text on it, cause you are gonna stretch the heck out of it.

spectracolor

I haven't wrapped a helmet yet. I think the designing properly would be the hardest thing though. I mean, How do you design it so that when you DO PUT THEM ON, that it flows with the helmet shape?

D&Tgraphics

Welcome to the forum dave. I look forward to the advice people will give. I wish I could help more but I have never wrapped one before. I will be printing the wrap on Monday so hopefully you get some pointers by then.

907customs

one thing that I found that has helped (a little) is bolting a mannequin head to a 4x4 post that clamps to my work bench. Put the helmet on the head, and strap it down tight, so you can pull, and stretch on the vinyl. I've had luck with a few hockey goalie masks, not so good of luck with a motocross type helmets, I seem to make it right to the end, then overdo it, and tear the vinyl.

Sparky

I have a similar 4x4 post setup, but with all the moving around required to get the vinyl down right, mine is not attached to the bench, and since I couldn't find a mannequin around the place, I used a shirt with some rubber bands. I also installed a chin strap fastening device. (That is a screw with some fuel tubing on screwed into the post) that allows me to cinch the helmet down nice and tight to the post. There is some movement, but not enough to worry about and way better than nothing. I also have a light setup right above the helmet that I can move around. That helps to keep the vinyl a little more pliable and willing to move around where it doesn't want to go.

Biggest piece of advice - use your thumbs as a squeegee and go slow and even.

For those that call and act like customers from afar, just ask me for advice, I will share it. If you want to know pricing, what I charge works for me, but your rates and overhead are different than mine, so you will have to get a good feel for how long it takes you. Wrapping helmets is pretty cool and a big challenge that gets a tad easier with time, but your first helmet will take twice the time your second one will, and by the time you get to 5 or 6, you are starting to get close to a real time. There are some general design rules of thumb, but I have typed those out before on here - search for "helmet wrap" and you will get to it.

Good luck and take your time!

Al Checca

So I have a question. Design time a side what would a helmet wrap be worth? What are we talking 100 bucks to 300 bucks? I mean we all know everyone wants everything for nothing.
I do a fair amount of wraps myself and was going to take my helmet to work, wrap it and leave it on the counter but was wondering if it was really worth it?

Conor Knoxx

a manequin head?
what a great idea!

Anytime I've done one, I've made my partner just put it on and hold still...
Things usually go pretty well until I get out the torch for some heat :rock-n-roll:

all kidding aside :Big Laugh
I have tried a couple, without much success. You do have to look at the "why" of it. Generally, when people want something "wrapped" like that, its because they want something cheaper than an airbrush job (that looks just as good of course) and the value just isn't there.

Most posts I've read here even on wrapping entire bikes ultimately seem to end with "not worth the trouble / can't make any money on it" - I think its important to remember the "reason" for the existence of "printed vinyl" is for advertising and marketing purposes. When you start to compete with custom paint jobs, its a whole 'nuther thing - and few seem to find ways to make any real money at it. I'm sure its possible, just not the same game as wrapping vehicles for advertising.

Al Checca

a manequin head?
what a great idea!

Anytime I've done one, I've made my partner just put it on and hold still...
Things usually go pretty well until I get out the torch for some heat :rock-n-roll:

all kidding aside :Big Laugh
I have tried a couple, without much success. You do have to look at the "why" of it. Generally, when people want something "wrapped" like that, its because they want something cheaper than an airbrush job (that looks just as good of course) and the value just isn't there.

Most posts I've read here even on wrapping entire bikes ultimately seem to end with "not worth the trouble / can't make any money on it" - I think its important to remember the "reason" for the existence of "printed vinyl" is for advertising and marketing purposes. When you start to compete with custom paint jobs, its a whole 'nuther thing - and few seem to find ways to make any real money at it. I'm sure its possible, just not the same game as wrapping vehicles for advertising.

Well that's kind of what I'm trying to find out. Is there actually a "market" for this and is it worth the trouble? I mean there is work and "Good" work. This just don't strike me as great work but that's why I'm asking.:help

Sparky

I have asked myself the same question. While I am getting faster with each one, I am very reluctant to offer this service to people I don't know. I do charge for my time, but have only done them for my customers that I know understand the time involved and are willing to pay for that.

When I am all done with a helmet, I really like how it looks and have gotten many compliments, but the process is not as quick as I need it to be, but there are tricks around making it a faster process at the expense of extra seams. I want as few as possible to get a better end product. My oldest one is just over a year old with regular activity every month, and zero lifting.

Of course that guy wants a new design with some different colors now...

Al Checca

I have asked myself the same question. While I am getting faster with each one, I am very reluctant to offer this service to people I don't know. I do charge for my time, but have only done them for my customers that I know understand the time involved and are willing to pay for that.

When I am all done with a helmet, I really like how it looks and have gotten many compliments, but the process is not as quick as I need it to be, but there are tricks around making it a faster process at the expense of extra seams. I want as few as possible to get a better end product. My oldest one is just over a year old with regular activity every month, and zero lifting.

Of course that guy wants a new design with some different colors now...

Slightly off topic, when you do them, do you run any 3M primer around the bottom or edges to give extra bite to prevent lifting? I was thinking of doing that.
I'll play around with it, and I'm sure with a built in relief I'll be able to do it. Just not sure I want to very often.

Dane DeFord

Step 1: Take your Olfa knife in your right hand.
Step 2: Place it directly below your left ear.
Step 3: Pull your Olfa knife "quickly" towards your right ear.

Note: If you are left handed, reverse above process.

Dane