• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you find good employees?

jc1cell

as the GM/ senior designer/ art director/ purchaser/ installer/ accountant/ salesman/ researcher,

Sounds like so many current job descriptions on the market, for a single position. Too funny.

ProWraps

I don't know how my boss landed me, and has managed to keep me here this long. No benefits, pay that only rivals walmart, and very little support staff. I am a miltary veteran with an AA in graphic design and a high business acumen. I do overtime for free sell and advertise while I'm at home, put up with them discounting the prices I quote by 20% or more, I never get paid on time and at one point wasn't paid for 3 weeks (I get paid weekly). But I just keep working along because well it's my job, so until I find a new one I will perform this one to the best of my ability as the GM/ senior designer/ art director/ purchaser/ installer/ accountant/ salesman/ researcher, and on my off time I'll probably still come here to this forum and try and learn more so I can do my job better tomorrow. ... What te he'll is wrong with me

want to move to sacramento? $20/hour and ill pay you on time everytime.

SqueeGee

Hire local - the closer the better. It just makes everything easier.

Don't hire experience. It costs more and creates conflict - "this isn't the way we did it at XYZ Signs". I highly recommend starting with a clean slate.

Ask good questions during the interview that gives insight into character and work ethic. "Tell me about a challenging or difficult situation you've encountered at your previous job. How did you resolve it?". " Tell me about the best boss you had. What made them the best?". Do a search for more ideas on questions - Google is your friend.

Try 'em out for a day or a project before making a firm offer.

Check their FaceBook page.

Trust your instincts.

Good luck!

jc1cell

Don't hire experience. It costs more and creates conflict - "this isn't the way we did it at XYZ Signs". I highly recommend starting with a clean slate.

I consider that a generalization (not looking to ruffle any feathers, just an opinion). Just like you mentioned afterwards, character is key. Many will do as you say, but the gold nuggets will just do their job and make suggestions that will improve. If not accepted, just continue laboring knowing thay made an effort.

jc

SqueeGee

I consider that a generalization (not looking to ruffle any feathers, just an opinion). Just like you mentioned afterwards, character is key. Many will do as you say, but the gold nuggets will just do their job and make suggestions that will improve. If not accepted, just continue laboring knowing thay made an effort.

jc

Good point. This one probably depends more on what position you're trying to fill. For the type of work we do, we've had better success with those that don't have previous sign experience.

Sticky Signs

In my experience, green and eager is the way to go but who am I to say. Now that I own my own company I work alone 98% of the time and for the most part like it that way. I'm just so used to it that I find other people get in the way... I'd have to be a whole lot busier to have to/be able to hire someone.
When I was managing another shop, I personally usually had bad luck with someone that had experience. Not always, but usually.
Now just outta curiosity, is it possible/legal to ask a potential employee to preform some basic test. IE - demonstrate some basic software knowledge - perform simple tasks with equipment - maybe weed, mask and apply some stuff? Has anyone ever done this? If so, what kind of tests did you make the potential hire do?

ucmj22

In my experience, green and eager is the way to go but who am I to say. Now that I own my own company I work alone 98% of the time and for the most part like it that way. I'm just so used to it that I find other people get in the way... I'd have to be a whole lot busier to have to/be able to hire someone.
When I was managing another shop, I personally usually had bad luck with someone that had experience. Not always, but usually.
Now just outta curiosity, is it possible/legal to ask a potential employee to preform some basic test. IE - demonstrate some basic software knowledge - perform simple tasks with equipment - maybe weed, mask and apply some stuff? Has anyone ever done this? If so, what kind of tests did you make the potential hire do?

Perfectly legal, & highly recommended.

cdiesel

We're up to 21 people including my brother and I.

Within our group, we've got absolute superstars and a few duds. The duds take a little while to figure out, and probably longer than it should take to get rid of them because we are too soft. Half the reason I don't fire people is because then I'd have to replace them, and that's a PITA.

We've run the gamut as far as hiring--Craislist, Monster, Jobing, local ads, etc. Our production director walked in the door and asked for a job, and is an invaluable key player. Same with our new project coordinator. She's new, but catching on quick. We've also found a few gems on Craislist.

We narrow it down like this:
If you have a single (and I mean ANY!) error on your resume, it goes in the no pile.
Everyone should have a resume, I don't care what you're applying for.
If you don't follow directions on the job listing (calling instead of emailing for example), how can I expect you do what I ask you to?
We check Facebook pages. Now let me say this, I have a FB page, that I've never posted on. But someone who's posting all day, everyday.. or informing the world that they just spilled their french fries.. probably isn't going to fit in at our place.

From that point, we'll schedule a day's worth of interviews. If you're late, don't bother coming.
If you can't find the place using an address, you probably don't have the required mental capacity.
If you come in the side door that's clearly marked "employees only", you fail.

During the interview:
We first administer the ESPN condensed version of the Wonderlic test. It's 15 questions, and really lets you see how people's minds work. You can see what mistakes they make and why, and determine if their cognitive skills.
After the test (we grade it right there, they are either a no or maybe at that point), we ask the normal questions trying to figure out their abilities, strengths, weaknesses, etc. We're not necessarily looking for experience so much as drive and attitude.

Even with our (what I feel) somewhat refined process, we still end up with those duds I mentioned. People who sound and look good, but just can't deliver. People who just don't care and are only there for a check. The best thing you can do is cut your losses as soon as you figure it out and move on.

I just realized.. we've only ever had one person quit. And he works for us again.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
During the interview:
We first administer the ESPN condensed version of the Wonderlic test. It's 15 questions, and really lets you see how people's minds work. You can see what mistakes they make and why, and determine if their cognitive skills.

Damn Chris ... we used to use the Wonderlic test but it got too dated to be valid. I thought they were no longer around. It was (and I guess, still is) the best single hiring screening tool we ever came across. I'll have to look them up now.

cdiesel

He is pretty awesome.. If he ever quits again I'm gonna kick his ass.

And yeah Fred, the Wonderlic is invaluable. We've been using the same version for about three years.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Shouldn't we just ask them what their signs101 log-in name is and then check up on them here?
If they don't have one the process can stop right there.

wayne k
guam usa

ucmj22

Damn Chris ... we used to use the Wonderlic test but it got too dated to be valid. I thought they were no longer around. It was (and I guess, still is) the best single hiring screening tool we ever came across. I'll have to look them up now.

It was updated in 2007

Locals Find!

At an old employer we found the easiest way to screen potential applicants was to give them a 10 word spelling test. In 17 years of business the test was never changed. All potential applicants got 2 chances to take the test. They even got a copy to study between the 1st and 2nd time. 90% of the people fail it the 1st time and 75% fail the second time. We never gave a 3rd chance. The test used was a 4th grade spelling test from the owners daughters school.

If people aren't smart enough to figure out a simple test like that. You don't even need to let them apply. Weeds out the weak quickly and easily. Lot less hassle before you even bother with interviews.

Edit: forgot to mention we required they get 7 out of 10 right to even apply - never hired anyone that didn't get at least 8 out of 10.

WildWestDesigns

I had to do an online IQ test and a skill set test in my field before being hired. The owners of our company were both lawyers in their past life, so yes, legal.

Terry

As long as it's questions directly related to the positions that they are going to be hired for, you are golden.