• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you guys heat your shops in the winter time?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
collection of creosote(only get this if you burn PINE)

Au contraire...with all due respect, even well-seasoned dry deciduous wood has the potential to produce creosote if the fire is choked back far enough.

JB

OldPaint

studies conducted by the University of Georgia found that the amount of damage wood left on the chimney was a result of low-temperature fires rather than a resin rich fuel source. While pine does contain more sap than other types of wood, this is no longer considered to be cause of creosote buildup in chimneys. Wood that does cause problems though is burning green wood or burning fires at low-temperatures.
i lived in a part of MAINE...where PINE & CEDAR are burned only. reason being, it is plentiful!!! most people that did this kept a "hot fire" going.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
was a result of low-temperature fires rather than a resin rich fuel source.

Yep...and when they fire it up hot enough to fend off a bitterly cold day, that's when they get into trouble. I observed creosote oozing like thick molasses from the stove pipe joints on a neighbor's stove several years ago. I still can't figure out how he avoided chimney fires.

JB

Laz0924

Heat pump

The contractor was negligent in not letting you know that a heat pump would not work very well in Wisconsin, those are designed for the Carolina's and south even with back up electric heaters it would cost a fortune to heat the place. I have been in the air conditioning & heating business since 1977 currently I inspect the work that contractors do and part time embroidery & printing business.
I would add a small furnace next to it or wood stove and only use the fan function to circulate the warm air. Further I would contact the contractor and see how he plans to fix the situation before you have to seek relife thru the courts, that should motivate him to add another heat source because a heat pump won't do it.
Joe

OldPaint

we have a HEAT PUMP/AC unit in the house. i live in pensacola fl. last nite was 32, next week it will be 22 one nite. HEAT PUMPS ARE A WASTE OF MONEY at those temps. simply stated...
HEAT PUMP is nothing more then reversing the EVAPORATOR & CONDENSER of your AIR CONDITIONING UNIT!!!! and COST THE SAME AS RUNNING YOURE AC!!!!!
we used it a couple of times when 1st installed and temps outside was in the 40's. USELESS... the heat that is sent thru the vents is not warm....and to get a 72 degree room it runs continually.
we also have a NATURAL GAS FURNACE...... and its heat is warmer and even. but their is no heat like that of the wood burning stove..........