• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How important is it, really?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Got a call this morning about a customer of mine that moved and needs some logos up by Monday morning. "Can we do it today?". Saturday? Yea for $1000... $700 on Monday or $400 on Tuesday. Needless to say she thought I would price it like last time ($350) for same day Saturday call. I haven't seen my family in a week, if your pulling me away from them today it better be worth it.

Breezy85

We had a customer....probably months ago, can't even remember when. Maybe 4 months ago. Out of state but they had two vehicles here in WA that needed a logo made from two specific vinyl colors and installed. Got the vinyl, cut it, called the customer to schedule the install. He finally got back to us said one of the vehicles doesn't need it anymore and the other one he's got in Portland, so he would come for the graphics and just install it himself. Here it is, June is almost over and the graphics are still in our shop :rolleyes:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We had a customer....probably months ago, can't even remember when. Maybe 4 months ago. Out of state but they had two vehicles here in WA that needed a logo made from two specific vinyl colors and installed. Got the vinyl, cut it, called the customer to schedule the install. He finally got back to us said one of the vehicles doesn't need it anymore and the other one he's got in Portland, so he would come for the graphics and just install it himself. Here it is, June is almost over and the graphics are still in our shop :rolleyes:

They paid in full right?

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
Hope you at least got a 50% deposit on the job.

Yes they did. Just find it funny we still have their graphics sitting in our shop after 4 months when they said they would come by for it to install themselves.
Okay. Wow...
Perhaps offer them an install service for an additional fee. "We want to get the job completed for you and closed immediately so that you may leave a phenomenal testimonial in regards to the quick service provided. Thanks for your patronage..."

SignsSupport

ikarasu

Yes they did. Just find it funny we still have their graphics sitting in our shop after 4 months when they said they would come by for it to install themselves.
We had a company order a a couple 4x8 plywoods. Same thing... Pains in full, 4 months later no one came to pick it up .We called and said these things are huge and in the way, can you come get them? 2 months later... Still here. Finally we had enough, called them and told them we can put the plywood back in stock if they didn't want it (no refund) or we'd start charging a storage fee if it's not gone within a week. They came within a few days to pick it up.

We're sign companies, not storage companies... For good customers we will hold onto stuff . But those decals could be sitting in your clients office taking up his space, being In His way instead of yours. If it's been 4 months, I'd get them out of there now!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We had a company order a a couple 4x8 plywoods. Same thing... Pains in full, 4 months later no one came to pick it up .We called and said these things are huge and in the way, can you come get them? 2 months later... Still here. Finally we had enough, called them and told them we can put the plywood back in stock if they didn't want it (no refund) or we'd start charging a storage fee if it's not gone within a week. They came within a few days to pick it up.

We're sign companies, not storage companies... For good customers we will hold onto stuff . But those decals could be sitting in your clients office taking up his space, being In His way instead of yours. If it's been 4 months, I'd get them out of there now!

Just deliver it

Breezy85

Wow. Well unlike your situation, these graphics are not in our way. They are just sitting on our completed shelf. We just sit other stuff on top of it cause they just haven't been by and haven't called or responded to messages.

bannertime

Wow. Well unlike your situation, these graphics are not in our way. They are just sitting on our completed shelf. We just sit other stuff on top of it cause they just haven't been by and haven't called or responded to messages.

After 90 days, it's discarded. If they want still want it, it's another order, maybe a slight discount since the art is done. This has only happened once, and we offered a significant discount. Lady placed an order for some vehicle graphics. Paid in full, approved artwork, but never returned calls about install. Over a year later, she came in to get them installed. Was upset we didn't have them ready. Said it wasn't her fault. We generously only charge her for labor. Another time a lady came in to get a refund on $30 worth of business cards. I look at the order, it's from about a year ago. I look on the shelf, and her cards are buried there. I hand her the cards and say that's all I'm giving you. She ended up buying another set for a different business. Also, anything over 36in in any direction is charged a daily storage fee of $1 up to 180 days after which it's discarded as well. We do not expect to charge or even collect on a "storage fee," it just lets them know the severity of the situation.

equippaint

We got sued for selling someones stuff that sat here for almost 5 years WITH an unpaid balance. I can assure you that right or wrong does not matter with attorneys.

ams

3 Weeks ago a customer needed some cut done next day, emergency (this is a good repeat customer), still sitting there. Last week customer needed 9 banners and 54 yard signs, needed by Monday at latest, didn't show up, didn't pick up until Friday. We stress ourselves to get it done in time and it sits there. It's frustrating.

ikarasu

But now you're liable for them. An employee puts something ontop of it that scratches it, or tears a piece... The customer will expect you to replace them free of charge, once he comes to pick them up in a few weeks!

For the most part we'll hold onto something. If they don't pick it up in a few days, we tell them they can supply us with a shipping account # and we will send it over, or ask for a firm date they will pick it up, and if that date passes... The items will be recycled and they will still be charged.

We try to accommodate customers, If they say hey, shit happened and I can't pick it up for 2-3 weeks, is that ok?" Sure it is. If they however order it on Monday for pickup on Friday, then 2 weeks pass with no word from them... Then they get a follow up call.

Breezy85

But now you're liable for them. An employee puts something ontop of it that scratches it, or tears a piece... The customer will expect you to replace them free of charge, once he comes to pick them up in a few weeks!

For the most part we'll hold onto something. If they don't pick it up in a few days, we tell them they can supply us with a shipping account # and we will send it over, or ask for a firm date they will pick it up, and if that date passes... The items will be recycled and they will still be charged.

We try to accommodate customers, If they say hey, shit happened and I can't pick it up for 2-3 weeks, is that ok?" Sure it is. If they however order it on Monday for pickup on Friday, then 2 weeks pass with no word from them... Then they get a follow up call.

It's literally just RTA with transfer tape on top.

visual800

Ive learned that people dont NEED they WANT. We live in different times now where the main word is NOW! ASAP!...I quite doing those jobs or I jacked them up and I deliver everything so that crap doesnt sit around. All rush jobs are paid in full 100%....that when you find out that rush job aint such a rush.

visual800

When the customer calls and says “how quick can I get it?” I chuckle and say “faster than you can pick it up.”

Have ya'll noticed these statements have become the most popular. "How quick can I get it", "how long does it take", "we need that by closing friday"....on and on. Its a lifestyle now, not a demand and the one statement from us that places an immediate halt on that is "On rush jobs there is 100% down how would you like to pay that?" You can hear the tires burning on the phone as they try and process this new information given to them.

All of a sudden theres no rush. All of a sudden they are so nice they ask if they can get back to you (as they call other shops and harass them)

clarizeyale

Have ya'll noticed these statements have become the most popular. "How quick can I get it", "how long does it take", "we need that by closing friday"....on and on. Its a lifestyle now, not a demand and the one statement from us that places an immediate halt on that is "On rush jobs there is 100% down how would you like to pay that?" You can hear the tires burning on the phone as they try and process this new information given to them.

All of a sudden theres no rush. All of a sudden they are so nice they ask if they can get back to you (as they call other shops and harass them)

I'm curious to know if everyone experiencing this have clients that are more older or younger.

For us, I would say it's a mix of both but the older peeps demand whereas the younger ones (my age or younger) are more forgiving and understanding. Though the older ones are the ones that take longer to pick up!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, I guess I just broke the pattern..................

Customer (a good one) called yesterday afternoon and said he needs 40 pairs of DOT numbers for his trucks for today. Sudden change in hands of ownership and he has 24 hours to change it out. Name and all other information remains, just new DOT numbers. Cut them, weeded them yesterday and this morning he calls and says, hey, I need 12 more dozen. I forgot about all the service trucks and stuff. So, they got cut this morning. He just picked them up and apologized for such a last minute order, but thanked me for having them ready for him. I said, that's Okay, you'll pay dearly for this. He said, not me, the new guy will....................

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
This is not a new phenomenon. Back in the mid 80s, I worked for an industrial supply company that made hydraulic assemblies, steam hoses, gaskets, and such and we'd constantly have customers who wanted same or next day turnaround on items that were standard 3 days or more (depending on complexity). We were happy to oblige (if possible) for a rush charge of $50 and the item's price would be increased something like 25%. You could always tell who really needed something, because they're the ones who'd say- "well, I have to have it, so charge what you need to to get it done." When I use that same approach for signs, it's amazing how many people really can wait a week (or whatever the turnaround for the item they want) is.