• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how is business so far this year

Pat Whatley

I don't know what in the hell happened. We were kicking ass through most of the Christmas season and the first of the year. Three weeks ago the phone just quit ringing. I'm still getting in enough work to keep the bills paid but it's like somebody flipped a dang switch around the place.

It'll recover though, I've got faith in that.

TheSnowman

Cant keep up. Installing faster than I can print.

Oh wait a minute...I'm in indiana Not Southern California where the business must be at. Midwest the heart of america is Sloooooooooow. Been using everything in stock to get by. Which is ok. I have alot of vinyl that's off the wall colors. So in a nut shell trimming the fat here and going lean and mean from now on. Still slow though.

You had me going for a second Mike. I was trying to figure out what one county away you were doing differently.

Air Art Girl

It's a bit slow for me. That is somewhat normal for this time of year but just got a pretty good size job in yesterday and the phone and emails have been coming in for basketball awards so I'm gonna be busy again. Had my son out in the shop helping today.

S

scarface

i wish i could become a successful home based shop, I'm still "hustle'n" for work no matter what i do.

ocean502

So busy, I worked Christmas Eve Day...(never would that happen when I worked for someone else) Then...screeeeeeeeeeching halt..two weeks ago, everyone dug their ways out of their winter holes and NOW am super busy again..Same with my husband..Electrical...hard gig in this recession..but am so thankful!

pointjockey

Our sales staff makes 50-75 stops per day droping flyers and shaking hands. Life is good due to this practice. We also make 100+ calls per day. Again life is good.

Two local sign shops closed recently. Both had been around for years. If people are sitting in the shop waiting for the phone to ring or someone to walk in then they are going to find it slow.

I have raised prices on just about everything this year and have also started offering more print services(Biz Cards, Flyers< etc). I'm amazed at the volume of Biz cards we sold last month. I'm also amazed at the following:

Number of Business Name Changes, resulting in new RTA for store fronts and vehicle lettering.

Number of people starting a New Business, resulting in a need for Channel Letter Signs.
We currently have 15+ projects underway.

If your phone is not ringing it's because I've got your customers number!

andy

But what are your cost of sales?

It doesn't follow that bigger turnover automatically means bigger profits... in most cases the reverse is true.

If you employ an army of sales people who drag in lots of work that's great. BUT... how much are you having to pay in salary to get the extra work?

I've seen companies who have discovered that their sales force basically self finances... the costs of sales staff are covered by the work they drag in but there's virtually nothing left for the business owners to keep.

Artgunner

Local shops giving away their work to stay in business! I can't understand why to save my life. Market is dead for the most part.

Art

jimmysigns

large sales forces equals large overhead which leads to spinning your wheels to try and keep up with the overhead. been there done that. you can keep it.
very small shop with very little overhead is the way to go. headaches are less and profits are higher. As far as business it's slow but work comes in. I have the opportunity to join forces with a large sign shop, cranes, big equipment and so on, but decided not to. I own the property and my home, no mortgages on anything so I should be ok.

Farmboy

Very slow. Until last year i was able to keep 2 people working full time all year long. Just switched both my full timers to an everyother day schedule. They're good with it and understand. We have a bunch of large jobs quoted out for reg. customers, but some won't be coming in for 2 or 3 weeks. Oh well, I'm coming up on 10 years running this place. Maybe this year I'll figure it out.

Patrick46

i cleaned the shop last week..... i never clean the shop....

Ya know...that's actually a good thing.
When the slowdown hit me, I cleaned the shop, remodeled the paint area, put up new shelves, learned how to run my Edge.....etc.

Take advantage of slower times to do those jobs around the shop that you never seem to find the time to do. When the work does finally roll back in, then you'll be in a more productive surrounding, and will make your workday a much more pleasant experience.
Plus I seem to find that the more 'energy' I put into my shop, (even if it's just cleaning the bathroom & reorganizing old files)...the energy seems to draw new customers in...and that's a good thing.

I had a very slow Christmas season, but it's picked back up already. :toasting:

pointjockey

A good saleman/salesperson will cost you nothing.

large sales forces equals large overhead which leads to spinning your wheels to try and keep up with the overhead. been there done that. you can keep it.
very small shop with very little overhead is the way to go. headaches are less and profits are higher. As far as business it's slow but work comes in. I have the opportunity to join forces with a large sign shop, cranes, big equipment and so on, but decided not to. I own the property and my home, no mortgages on anything so I should be ok.

iSign

...I seem to find that the more 'energy' I put into my shop, (even if it's just cleaning the bathroom & reorganizing old files)...the energy seems to draw new customers in...and that's a good thing.

I find the same is true with life in general, and also in my business. Great advice!

for the most part the majority of the sign shops that i talk with are slow. the exceptions are the ones who are really hustling and working their plans...if you are waiting for the work to come to you, you're going to be waiting a while unfortunately.

the specialized shops that i know (the ones that are really known for design, or marketing prowless or great dimensional pieces are staying afloat but times are still pretty lean).

just one other thought. for years i have heard shops say that they want to reinvent themselves or become known for doing a particular type of work but that they don't have the time to make change because they are cranking out the day to day jobs. if this is a goal of yours utilize this time to build samples showing your clients the type of work you can do, rebuild your aged portfolio, design new printed marketing pieces and then get out there and sell yourself.