• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How is this even possible?

Techman

all of my equipment it paid off, so I have pretty low overhead

Only for the short term.
Long term,,, the equipment will be replaced and that will pressure you into charging more. Either get paid now or get paid later. Either way the price will be higher.

Mosh

Then what happens when your building needs a new roof?

Just put a new roof on 4 years ago, $58,000...paid in full. If I need new equipment I will go buy some.

Besides, I didn't say price all jobs that way, just ones I know I am bidding against a low-baller.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I don't think we'd be pricing out at what the OP said his competitor did, but to get one's foot in the door, it sometime pays to go in lean, do a great job and slowly raise your prices. Who knows, maybe it was an introductory price for a few vehicles and then he'll return to normal pricing. It's hard to say, but what's it matter, if you lost the contract ??

We've lost bids and contracts to lowballers. It's just the way the cookie crumbles these days. Like Jill said, the trade has become numb to the idea of making a good living and just get every job you can at whatever cost.

We were just awarded a contract today for a quote from Tuesday, where I did exactly the opposite. We are so busy, I priced it out high, added quite a bit on top, kept adding more, until I thought, well, if they want us, they're gonna pay out the wazoo. Got the e-mail this morning, picked up the deposit and it's due around the middle of December. We had to be much higher than anyone else. I just know it. Go figure. Now, we just have to find the time to get it done. :cool1:

TammieH

Just tell them your printer, your business and you do not run on solar energy.

$320 is a decent price to letter a couple doors

copythat

$320?

That is not unheard of. Had a guy pull up to my shop with a full wrap. He sells Aqua Pacific water. And his vehicle shows his product. Comes to my counter and ask. How much to wrap his car. I told him a min. of $2800. "How much did you pay?" $2000. "I ask are you happy?" Takes me outside and not only is there peeling, but typos and missing words. Website spelled incorrect. So let them get'er done. They will get what they pay for!