• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long have you been in the Sign Business?

Fitch

16 years - I was a Corporate Banker and learnt from the SOHK. Just said "yep I can do that" to whoever would pay me money. Then went away and learnt.

Funny how the dominant time spent in the "industry" seems to be posted by experienced fully fledged sign folks.

Where are all the "newbies"... man I thought the majority would have been 2 months -3 years judging by some postings...Hehehehehehehehehe

petrosgraphics

got out of college in "75", just wanted something to do for the summer... never left...

had a history lesson of what the sign business was like in the 30s, 40s, 50s, by some
old time sign painters.... so much for my degrees.... i have always found it ever changing
but somehow the same......variation of the same theme.......

Deaton Design

If Im correct in my ciphering, its over 30 years. I saw a guy who was a really good at hand lettering doing some signs near my house, and that did it. Took years to get halfway good at hand lettering,but finally ended up making some money at it. Started using vinyl about 16 years ago. Started with a little 15" vinyl express cutter, then moved up to a summa d60. Still do some handwork on my wood signs. Delving more and more into the digital end of things, but not enough to buy a printer yet. Im 53 now, so maybe I wont be doing this a whole lot longer.

deegrafix

33 years. Started in '77 screen printing and hand painting. Bought the Gerber 4b in '86 for 10K, (can you believe it?) and haven't had a boss bossing me around since. I guess I qualify as a geezerette....

dee

smdgrfx

Started doing motorcycle graphics in 1996 as a custom motorcycle shop. In 2003, I shut the doors on the motorcycle shop and went full time signs only. Thinking about pushing back into motorcycles by offering sportbike wraps...

So 14 years...and still learning.

rm25x

Guess I am the biggest rookie, only 1.5 years under my belt so far. Learning more every day though.

artbot

mine is strange. my mom was a pro/breadwinner artist in the family. she got me started pro at 12 years old. now 42 years young, ...that makes 30 years.

SignManiac

Six months for me. This is the easiest business money can buy. Everything you need to know is right here. I have a towing company and got tired of being ripped off by sign guys. Now I letter my own trucks and the money I save, I can use to buy one of those cheap printers. Then I can sell diamond plate logos for $50 and make beer money for the weekends! This is such a cool job.