• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long have you been in the Sign Business?

Richard Flint

Started learning hand lettering as a teenager back in 1970. Apprentice with master signwriter until I stated my own part time sign business in 1973. Went full time in 1974.

........I'm only doing this until I figure out what I really want to do!

RebeckaR

Started with handlettering my dad's tow trucks back in highschool in '77, then picked up the airbrush and have been painting stuff ever since. Opened my shop in '97, bought a plotter that's still in use and haven't had a 'real' job since.

Billct2

Funny, from the respones here you'd think it was all old geezers (and geezettes) on the board.

12 years in the sign business...I've been involved with printing and graphics for about 20 years. First banner I ever made was for homecoming for my high school, it wound up in the paper. I still have it somewhere in my shop.

It was on paper, painted with tempera paint. Does tempera paint get used outside of the school system? I haven't thought about that stuff in years.

~Chris

flyingsignmonkey

im 43, ive been in the sign business for 30 years. my old man was a letterhead. had his own little sign shop hand lettering. he's in his 80's now and he's only got one eye, lost the other a few years ago to a cataract, but he still letters some times. he just doesnt have any depth perception so he's got to bring the brush down with both hands. I started in his shop helping paint boards in such. he was the sign painter for the eirie county fair grounds in upstate new york, so we were allways doing carny work and stuff, and getting paid for lettering rides, cotton candy stands and such, with dollar bills. we'd get paid 3-4-5 thousand dollars and it would all be in ones.

copythat

31 Years in printing

Was vending orders from 04-06
Purchased a Encad 880 still was vending 75% <--saw mermaid being printed and said I want that, not knowing that it was water based.
08- present Eco-solvent

dwt

+1 for tint guy gone vinyl. Once I learned 'film is film' I've been at it ever since. Going on 16 years now. I'm still a little slow at design but can slam vinyl like a dream.

anotherdog

put up my first hand painted store sign some 26 years ago...
fell off the ladder, probably should have taken that as a hint.

high impact

8 years. Some of those years full-time and some part-time. I've been in other types of business a lot longer than that though. I fell into signs on accident when I purchased a bankrupt sign shop because I felt sorry for the previous owner who had cancer and couldn't keep it going. I kept him on part-time and he recovered and is doing great today!