• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much for that wrap?!?!?

kustomguy

Since everyone else gets to share a story like this, I want to share mine. Today a guy called for a 24 foot trailer wrap. I worked up my numbers and told him $4500. Upon telling him this, which I feel is a solid price in my market, he pretty much freaked out. It seems someone along the way told him he could get a wrap for about $500 on a trailer that size. No Joke. We aren't just graphic designers, painters, installers, etc... we are always in the business of being teachers.

weaselboogie

I could see some simple lettering for around a $500 price tag taking up a small section of real estate on that thing, but not a wrap....

...and it seems now that clients seem to use the term "wrap" when talking of ANYTHING in the vehicle graphics rhelm.

Sideshow

500 bairly covers the costs of the MATERIAL on a 24'

I'd tell him to have at it...and when he returns for you fix the botched job, tell';em material costs went up, and its now 6k for the job.....lol

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This one isn't even worth discussing. No way can anyone do it for $500. I wouldn't letter it in die-cut for that unless like weasel said you're doing a 4' x 6' area on both sides or something. I could see getting beat up for a few hundred or maybe even a grand, but not for almost a 90% discount ?? Don't waste your time at all with the dead-beat.

I just had a guy today tell me he could get what I offered for a fraction of what I quoted him. I played along a little bit and looked at my quote, took out a pen and did some math [that I was just faking numbers], looked up in the air, wrote some more numbers down..... said to him, I'm working on something here. I told him that other deal sounds like a good deal to me. I'm trying to help you, please hold on a minute yet. He seemed happy as he was smiling.... until I said, yep, that's a really good deal. I can't even get the materials for that, so I'm sure you're getting some inferior materials and probably some shoddy work. I asked him where he got the quote... he told me and I said... Okay, now it makes sense. So I said.... I don't bad mouth competition, so if you want, you get it there and I'll be seeing ya around. I shook his hand and he said... can't you do a little better for me. I really want you to do the work. We're not talking the same stuff here, not at all. The other guy said he could put red 8mm neon around 2 windows 5' high and 10' long. That's 60 foot of glass and stuff for $400 total. I was quoting 13mm. He's gonna get a 4' x 6' double sided sign changed out for $265. That's a total of $625 to do the two windows and two faces... oh, plus letter the front door. The artwork has to be digitally printed because of all the effects he has on his art. I can't wait to see this in a few weeks.

Just stand your ground, smile and walk away.

ProWraps

I would be at $2995 for the job. both sides and back. $500 is bullsh*t and he knows it. but $4500 is high.

it would take me 4-5 hours for the install. if that.

formanek

I also own and chef at my own restaurant. People ask me all the time for catering prices. I tell them...
1. It is like building a house. Tell me what you want and I will tell you a price. Can't go to a contractor and say how much for a house without telling sq foot etc...
2. When they say "can't you do something for around $6 a person?" I tell the to take the entire group of people through McDonalds for a crap burger and it is over $8.
.:: Usually that gives them an idea.

In the sign/wrap stuff... tell them to go to Kinkos and make paper enough color photocopies to cover their 24' trailer and it will be way more than $500. :frustrated:

Most of those people are not serious or worth your breath.

ProWraps

come watch me do it. i have 7 of them im printing now.

and i said 4-5 hours for the INSTALL. re-read my post. and yes that includes rivets.

a 24' is 5 panels per side. i can hang a panel in 7-10 minutes. thats 12 panels total (5 per side, two for back) for 120 minutes of hang time.

rivets on the entire thing will take an hour.

that leaves 1-2 hours for general f*(ckery if necesarry.

kustomguy

I would be at $2995 for the job. both sides and back. $500 is bullsh*t and he knows it. but $4500 is high.

it would take me 4-5 hours for the install. if that.

$4500 isn't high. It is an extra tall trailer and includes all four sides, not just the back. It is an old trailer. 4-5 hours for install if that? Dude, are you going to clean it? Anyway, thanks for trying to set me staight with "high prices"

Craig Sjoquist

Design the wrap $500 maybe... just think how much sq ft that is 8x24 back & front 8x8 plus extra vinyl .. geez and all the work installing.

ProWraps

all sh*t you didnt bother to include in your initial post, DUDE.

extra tall? come on. if your gonna come on here and piss and moan, dont expect all of us that are in the biz to cry with you.

your price is high. period. i merely responded where we would be so you could get a comparison. but obviously your to busy whining instead of being open to learning something.

of course we clean it. after the client brings it to me WASHED.

with 4 sides, i would be at $3300.

4-5 hours EASILY installed on that extra tall, dirty crybaby of a trailer.

kustomguy

extra tall? come on. if your gonna come on here and piss and moan, dont expect all of us that are in the biz to cry with you.

your price is high. period. i merely responded where we would be so you could get a comparison. but obviously your to busy whining instead of being open to learning something.

Wow, you have some serious issues.

formanek

Take a pill, have a :bushmill: and go to bed dude. :thumb:

Sideshow

Wow, you retards take a post and turn it into an argument over price?

Get a life assclowns.

The guy posted up a thread about a customer, who CARES if his price is too high, that YOU would do it for XYZ... thats not the point of the post. $4500 may be high in your part of the world, thats becasue you probably have soooooo much competition, EVERYONE has to work lower to be even..

....The ORIGINAL poster might be the only place in his neck of the woods that does it, or thats the price of living in that area.

hey, I pay 900 a month to live in 3br on 10 acres.......is that too high??? To low??? OH..thats right, local environment and economy tells what the prices will be.

So, bottom line, no one CARES what NoCal prices are, or that YOU thinki its too high, that YOU would charge less....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya see Pro..... ya try to help someone out here and they don't want to hear the truth. We did a 20' box van two sides and back in about 6 hours. Additional 3 hours of cleaning and prepping @ 85 per hour. Got $3,000 for printing, laming and installing it. The designing was a separate cost. I think I got like $900 for the design. Riddled with rivets. Don't know about you, but I like the roller pro, Larry and Jeremy... neither of them really like it, they do it the old way.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow, you retards take a post and turn it into an argument over price?

Get a life assclowns.

The guy posted up a thread about a customer, who CARES if his price is too high, that YOU would do it for XYZ... thats not the point of the post. $4500 may be high in your part of the world, thats becasue you probably have soooooo much competition, EVERYONE has to work lower to be even..

....The ORIGINAL poster might be the only place in his neck of the woods that does it, or thats the price of living in that area.

hey, I pay 900 a month to live in 3br on 10 acres.......is that too high??? To low??? OH..thats right, local environment and economy tells what the prices will be.

So, bottom line, no one CARES what NoCal prices are, or that YOU thinki its too high, that YOU would charge less....

Wow. Where'd that come from ?? He said the customer freaked at his price and many of us here agree. It's a little on the high side. Whether or not he asked directly, what's wrong with giving a little extra information for the guy ??

Maybe he gets 4 or 5 wraps a week to do and this customer came off as a real douche bag.... or maybe the OP is just upset because he didn't get this wrap and he felt he should. There's not near enough information to know what's going on, except he said he was upset. There's no arguing going on.... not that I see. A disagreement possibly, but until someone starts calling fouls.... it all seems to be fair game.

Besides, like you said about prices somewhere else... no one cares what your rent is, at all. I mean anyway.... what's that supposed to mean ??

kustomguy

Ya see Pro..... ya try to help someone out here and they don't want to hear the truth. We did a 20' box van two sides and back in about 6 hours. Additional 3 hours of cleaning and prepping @ 85 per hour. Got $3,000 for printing, laming and installing it. The designing was a separate cost. I think I got like $900 for the design. Riddled with rivets. Don't know about you, but I like the roller pro, Larry and Jeremy... neither of them really like it, they do it the old way.

You said "WE" so that means you and another person did it in 6 hours. So that is at least 12 man hours.
You guys are making a really big deal out of this. I never even considered bickering with the customer. I gave him a 3 minute education on the cost of wraps. He admitted that he was way out of line thinking that 500 bucks would get the job done. I just wanted to share with everyone that we as wrap companies are always faced with the challenges of pricing and educating. Sometimes to the point of ridiculousness. Around by me, $4500 is a good price for a job this size. My price estimate was the entire job, design, print, install, premium products, and my companies good reputation and warranties included. If people are doing it WAY cheaper in other places, that in no way makes my price high. I don't want to argue with anyone about it.

Sideshow

Wow. Where'd that come from ??

Prowraps

his whole post was NOTHING but to argue how much he would charge.

Besides, like you said about prices somewhere else... no one cares what your rent is, at all. I mean anyway.... what's that supposed to mean ??

Its called a reference analogy... the concept of what one person pays in relevance to what another pays based on locality.