• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much money do people make in this business?

anotherdog

Then you've got a problem. If you're so busy you can't get away for a week...but it doesn't matter because you don't have the money to leave for a week YOU really need to look at your pricing. Raise your prices until work slows down to a level you can handle, you'll be making more money doing less work

Because I built a business from scratch during a recession is why.
The first years I was too poor because I was growing the business, now I'm too busy because the business has grown (tiger by the tail).

You can crap on my designs, but don't crap on my business plan.

Jillbeans

On the good days I can make about $200/hr pure profit.
But I only get about 4 of those a year.
Love....Jill

B Snyder

I once read the average income in the sign industry is somewhere between eleventy nine cents and a buck three eighty.

BROWNDOG

sad, but it seems there are more people in this business barely scraping by rather than breathing easy whether they have 0 or many employees.
I my self just keep telling my wife, if i can just get this job, or this computer, or this ne customer,or this, sound like a whole lot of "if's"
I think i heard her recently say IF i had a real job she'd have a real kitchen!

ATXsigns

sad, but it seems there are more people in this business barely scraping by rather than breathing easy whether they have 0 or many employees.
I my self just keep telling my wife, if i can just get this job, or this computer, or this ne customer,or this, sound like a whole lot of "if's"
I think i heard her recently say IF i had a real job she'd have a real kitchen!

I bartered for a stack of bamboo, then for an install. I have a $4000 floor for hundreds out of pocket. hehe. The wife hasn't complained about small sales for a few weeks. :)

imagep

Jeez I wanted to post in this thread earlier but I got lost on my way back to the computer. These 12' high stacks of hundred dollar bills laying around the office have turned the place into a bit of a maze.

Oh well, it's a nice problem to have I suppose.

Well at least you store yours in your shop. My wife makes me keep all my money in the bank.

Now the dang bank keeps calling me complaining that all my money has filled up their vault and now they dont have any room for anyone elses money. What do they want ME to do about it? THEY need to get a bigger vault!

stip

I have found the best way to make a million in the sign business is to start out with two million.

Gene@mpls

I think a good average for a sign shop owner would be $175k before taxes.
I think some of the people on this board are being modest.

visual800

It doesn't matter what you make, what matters is how you spend. if you spend wisely and do not waste more will come in...IN DUE TIME! This is not crack sales, this is not a web ipo. Money will not flounder in overnite, and if it does I'm sure it will go away just as fast.

I've been in business 22 years, i do not own a printer because I can't afford to own one when I can buy prints for $2.50 per sq ft laminated!!! I dont have employees, don't need them. I have low overhead, no sense in it. The business has allowed me to be debt free and given me a great life (of course business sucks lately) but I'll muddle thru it. I have no idea what I bring home. I know what I bill out and I know all bills are paid

Be small and act like your large! That's what pays off

TheSnowman

I think a good average for a sign shop owner would be $175k before taxes.
Wow, glad I don't show that much income. I can't imagine all the taxes you would have to pay. I try to show the lease amount of income as possible as owning my own shop. That's all part of the game. I don't want to give it all away if I can make smart purchases on equip, etc, and show very little income while still getting things I need. Of course that is a fine line, but dang, I'd be no where NEAR that.

visual800

oh and most imporatnt when your self employed you OWN NOTHING it all belongs to the business:ROFLMAO:

J

john1

apparently you can make a killing in this business but it's so cut throat anymore that it's hard to get customers to realize the great return on a custom product rather than the lowest price around.

I know a guy who does it out of his home and literally told me that if he cannot make $500-1000 a day which is his normal, he won't even wake up for less. So someones making good money, and not low balling either. Heck give me $200 a day and i'll be tickled pink

Oh how they do it, I wish i could grasp

gnemmas

kraigsnowden,

Learn from the BP oil spill. Lots of shrimper, deck hands there work on cash basis, now they want to get paid for the damage. BP is good for 20 billion, but show me the paper proof you income! Same with local business, show me what your income have reduced. Otherwise, we all can go there and claim we were making $1,000 week cash.

Oh, and IRS should set up a kiosk next to BP payout dept, and have BP handing Joe Blow's payment directly to IRS: "Hey Joe, here is your claim payment." for back taxes.