• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much to charge for vinyl install on glass doors?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hi Gino,

I get the fact that you and the rest of your "professional Sign Pro" members are hugely upset by Newbies (such as myself) coming into the business with inexpensive old crap machines and such.. However I have never seen a "newbie" post anything (question/comment) Anywhere here on S101 - with even the slightest insinuation that your Talents and industry is "stoopid", nor have I seen a newbie offer a "Lack of respect" towards you (or your assorted Professional Ilk) Either (at least not until you and your "team" have "responded" in your usual fashion to their question) What I do see time and time again, is all you so called "Professionals" Ranting & Raving, Frothing at the mouth, flying off the handle, Insulting the "newbie", (and anyone who actually tries to help the "newbie"). It's bloody hilarious to watch you old "pro's" act like a gang of clowns. Let me see if I can get this straight: It is your belief that ranting, raving and generally acting like a gibbering idiot is somehow going to "Scare" said newbie out of the business, thus protecting your Sacred & Hard learned trade? Are you truly this naive?

Let me guess... you are currently on Blood Pressure meds?

I have added to my Hobby of Beginner Sign Making: perusing S101 with a search of a few of your usernames (you know who you are!) Just to get a laugh out of your pavlovian responses. It's a great way to pass the time while my slow old SC500 muddles through a banner.

As always, Warmest Regards! (good luck with the Turbo Installation, PM me if you need a hand)

-t

Hidie ho, lod.................

I guess you're just an incredible entrepreneur in so many ways as you've told us all about your flight career, metal shop, internet doings and now you're a psychic. I'm just amazed every time one of your kind know how and what we're all thinking, just because you have some memory of something similar. I applaud you. You're simply something else there, Cayce.

Your stories are quite thrilling and one might even get a little tear in their eye......

There's no lack of respect for anyone starting a new venture, but I'm sure as your Dad did in his day and even you in your plethora of jobs, learned them from the ground up. You're a perfect example of what as you call us..... assorted Professional Ilk's are talking about. You have enough sense to learn how to fly a plane, read maps and do math, then learn the various tasks within the metal industry and you surround yourself with people who can either help you or guide you. However, you hop into the sign industry as you've already explained to us by buying literally crap off of ebay and just hawking your wares for no regards as to what it's doing to honest business people. You and your kind think it's old school vs. new school. Hand-painters vs. computer nerds, like yourself. It's not. Not at all. It's just that you don't know diddly about any fundamentals in this trade let alone possess any basic knowledge. You can't layout or design to save your life. You don't know a good font from a bad font or where to use what kind of font in what sort of situation. You have no theory or understanding of ANY elements. You know only to push a button when the light goes on and out the other end comes a nice picture. For cripe's sake, you could work in a Pizza Shop to get those kinda results.

You wanna tell me what's going on in my head, well don't bother. Compared to your life, mine isn't worth the venture to the likes of you. I don't need silly big-mouthed know-it-alls telling me how to work within an industry. I don't need a has-been wanting to make an a$$ of me on a forum. I don't need you for anything. I come here to help, when someone honestly needs help and not just here for a free ride. If I guess wrong, unlike with your magical powers, I will apologize. It happens.... and I do. After 40 some years doing this stuff, one gets to know many ins-n-outs about the entire trade. Whether it's about old school or new.... I can help. I know them both. Unfortunately, you can't, but you want us to listen to your SPS, which is worthless poppycock.

lod, do as you please and enlighten us to more of your vast knowledge.... ya know like they say, if you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with Bullsh!t. And that my little sky pilot, you have.... down pat.

lodcomm

Hidie ho, lod.................

I guess you're just an incredible entrepreneur in so many ways as you've told us all about your flight career, metal shop, internet doings and now you're a psychic. I'm just amazed every time one of your kind know how and what we're all thinking, just because you have some memory of something similar. I applaud you. You're simply something else there, Cayce.

Your stories are quite thrilling and one might even get a little tear in their eye......

There's no lack of respect for anyone starting a new venture, but I'm sure as your Dad did in his day and even you in your plethora of jobs, learned them from the ground up. You're a perfect example of what as you call us..... assorted Professional Ilk's are talking about. You have enough sense to learn how to fly a plane, read maps and do math, then learn the various tasks within the metal industry and you surround yourself with people who can either help you or guide you. However, you hop into the sign industry as you've already explained to us by buying literally crap off of ebay and just hawking your wares for no regards as to what it's doing to honest business people. You and your kind think it's old school vs. new school. Hand-painters vs. computer nerds, like yourself. It's not. Not at all. It's just that you don't know diddly about any fundamentals in this trade let alone possess any basic knowledge. You can't layout or design to save your life. You don't know a good font from a bad font or where to use what kind of font in what sort of situation. You have no theory or understanding of ANY elements. You know only to push a button when the light goes on and out the other end comes a nice picture. For cripe's sake, you could work in a Pizza Shop to get those kinda results.

You wanna tell me what's going on in my head, well don't bother. Compared to your life, mine isn't worth the venture to the likes of you. I don't need silly big-mouthed know-it-alls telling me how to work within an industry. I don't need a has-been wanting to make an a$$ of me on a forum. I don't need you for anything. I come here to help, when someone honestly needs help and not just here for a free ride. If I guess wrong, unlike with your magical powers, I will apologize. It happens.... and I do. After 40 some years doing this stuff, one gets to know many ins-n-outs about the entire trade. Whether it's about old school or new.... I can help. I know them both. Unfortunately, you can't, but you want us to listen to your SPS, which is worthless poppycock.

lod, do as you please and enlighten us to more of your vast knowledge.... ya know like they say, if you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with Bullsh!t. And that my little sky pilot, you have.... down pat.

Hi Mr. Gino,

I'm hardly a "has been", in fact it is painfully clear that in your eyes, as evidenced by your erratic behavior I am a "Up and coming Threat" to you personally. I know you're understandably upset about the fact that I knew about your blood pressure medicine, but with all due respect sir: it takes no "psychic" ability to read the tea leaves in your cup.

All witticism aside: Thanks for taking the time to reply in some vague sort of civilized tone. As to me telling you whats going on in your head: One simply needs to do a search of say maybe your last 4-5 posts and the telling will simply speak for itself. I have nothing but the utmost respect for anyones talent, (yours included). I could only wish that I had the ability to design a graphic poster, advertisement or sign that didn't look like some 3rd grader's finger painting assignment. But when someone like me or any other newbie comes onto a signmaking forum, asking for advice on the appropriate sub-board, and has you and your gang instantly fly off the handle, accusing said postee of ruining your livelihood, stealing food from your mouths, destroying the industry, etc.. It is frankly juvenile on your part. Why do you even bother to view he posts and take the time to rant about them if you feel they are so far beneath your superior skill level? Why not just stick to the "Paid Subscription only" forums where you and your pals can sit around and massage each others egos and ridicule the likes of me and other newbies? - Why even lower yourself to needlessly debate my worthless comments? (You can answer for yourself, my psychic abilities not withstanding)

You are 100% correct (aping my own statements, about myself BTW) In that I don't know jack diddy about the industry: I got my start in the "industry" buying a cheap a$$ plotter from UScutter, and started selling wimpy vinyl cut decals on ebay for a few bucks each Something a true professional such as yourself would consider far beneath your sophisticated talents and not even worth your time. Yet you have no hesitation about attacking me for stepping up and doing so.. So basically your philosophy on the subject can be summed up as: "I, Gino consider the manufacture and sale of $5.00 vinyl decals far beneath my 40 years of experience, and I would not even consider lowering myself to such trivial undertakings: HOWEVER, now that I have dictated that such measly doings are beneath me.. I hereby dictate that nobody else can do so either, since to do so would be to disrespect me and my 40 years of experience..." Whatever, the whole precept is silly, and you know it Gino.

As I outlined in my very first post on this "sales, marketing, pricing" (where: Whoa! you better think twice about asking a "sales, marketing or Pricing" question! (unless of course you are already a professional, then it's OK to ask a question because you of course already know the answer! You are after all a pro, and the only possible reason that the "sales, marketing & Pricing" forum even exists is for industry pros to ask each other questions that they already know the answer to and then they can bandy back and forth with clever "industry insider" repartee) forum - I was asking you so called "Industry professionals" what a fair price to charge per square foot on banner printing would be so as to not even try to undercut my local "Industry professionals" would be: How the 'h more respectful to you pros and the "industry" could anyone be for christs sake? - or do you cling to the stance that someone like me Should not even be "allowed" to buy a wide format printer in the first place? Are you truly that daft? - As I clearly explained: I Market my printing only service to a local "SignMaking Professional" who's printer crapped the bed, and he does not have the technical/mechanical skills to keep his own printer running. He came to the astute conclusion that it is more profitable for him to market and reap the profits from his design talents (and charge the customer accordingly, with my Price/sq foot considered & Built in) and leave the mechanical (no brain required) task of physically printing to me, and pay me a fair price for that. How exactly is that disrespecting or Harming any of you old goats? How is that Harming anyone? Even the slightest application of common sense would show that it is a win-win for everyone. How do you construe that as me telling you all how to do your jobs? - It does not even slightly imply anything of the sort. Therefore - It is my expert opinion (drawing on my vast knowledge of ALL THINGS that you conceded above (thank you for recognizing that!)) - that you are not quite so secure in your 40 years of experience so as to just ignore little bull$hit filled guys like me, if you were you would simply..ignore me.

Lastly, and food for further thought: It is entirely possible to figure out how to install a diesel (or gasoline) Turbocharger simply by googling around and watching some informative Youtube videos. If you decide to take it on, please PM me. Despite your overt hostility, I'd be happy to lend you a hand and impart what knowledge (if any, besides my awesome personality) I have. heck - I'll even bring the beer. you're actually kinda likable in your own curmudgeonry sort of way.

*smoochies*

-t

Last edited:

CherryGraphix

I'm sorry some of you "professionals" feel the way you do. I joined this site to gain knowledge about some things I'm unfamiliar with. However, every forum I've viewed to answer some of my questions has some "professional" making an ignorant remark about the question which ends up (like this post) as a battle between unknown individuals hiding behind their computer screen.

Karma? If you give, you receive, If you put your energy into hating and bringing down individuals you feel shouldn't be in your trade that are here asking for your professional help.....You will receive that negative energy in some form right back at you.

All of this is a matter of opinion based on personal thoughts created in our own minds. Everyone makes up their own meaning to others input.

Great people are more than happy to help the underdog in any way they can. Not smash em to the ground. It's about love, no hate. That's good karma. Whatever you believe, you will attract. Ignorance will be your biggest enemy.

My "hobby vinyl" won't have any affect on you all unless you live in my town. Someday, I would love to open my own shop. But financially right now it's not feasible. I can't fathom starting a business in mounds of debt. Especially in such a small town. My customers are more than happy to give their business to a local because there is no one else here that does it. I'm sorry that it makes some of you angry that us small hobby people force you to have to explain yourselves to customers. That is a sincere comment.

My experience on this site has been rough because of all of the negativity here. Jealousy is eating everyone alive. I've found no inspiration here yet. So sad

Marlene

you guys just don't get it. no one here has issues with a newbie to the trade doing their best to learn more and become a better business, designer and installer. saying your hobby isn't hurting anyone unless you live in the same town or that we are jealous is wrong. poor designs, poorly made signs, low ball prices, total lack of knowlege about installing correctly, permitting and all the rest that goes into being a pro hurts everyone every where. Jill is a great example of just how the hobby people, not new sign companies, but those who dabble without a clue have hurt the sign industry. as far as being jealous, are you kidding?

Techman

and all the while you continue to install your mistakes, on real customers,,, then come here to learn and complain about your failure after the fact,, while you pursue your newly found hobby before you studied enough to be fully competent,,

Then real sign shops struggle while your mistakes permeate the business climate with a loss of respect for what we do. Don;t you think your client knows you are incompetent and is fully willing to take advantage of you????. Don't you think your client knows what a real sign installer is worth and yet will milk you because you are doing it for free with multiple attempts?

Then try to justify your actions by saying you are new at this while at the same time whining that someone is picking on you in a forum where people who feed their families with skills you are trying to develop have to read about this incompetence? Why not practice on home made projects like most other hobbiests until you get competent??? Why not avoid giving away your work and product to real businesses until you have some reasonable and sellable skills. Then you can charge the right amount and have have the money to do it right??? There is no excuse for doing it wrong on real willing to pay clients. Experienced installers all know this and cringe when a noob takes shortcuts.

Marlene

and all the while you continue to install your mistakes, on real customers,,, then come here to learn and complain about your failure after the fact,, while you pursue your newly found hobby before you studied enough to be fully competent,,

Then real sign shops struggle while your mistakes permeate the business climate with a loss of respect for what we do. Don;t you think your client knows you are incompetent and is fully willing to take advantage of you????. Don't you think your client knows what a real sign installer is worth and yet will milk you because you are doing it for free with multiple attempts?

Then try to justify your actions by saying you are new at this while at the same time whining that someone is picking on you in a forum where people who feed their families with skills you are trying to develop have to read about this incompetence? Why not practice on home made projects like most other hobbiests until you get competent??? Why not avoid giving away your work and product to real businesses until you have some reasonable and sellable skills. Then you can charge the right amount and have have the money to do it right??? There is no excuse for doing it wrong on real willing to pay clients. Experienced installers all know this and cringe when a noob takes shortcuts.​

well said

Mosh

our thees window tinted? I wood get $15 two $20 per door.

If you used a REAL SIGN PROGRAM instead of Corel (I love and use Corel to design, not to cut) nodes wouldn't be an issue. Hours? Sounds like a 5-10 minute job.

CherryGraphix

The lack of sentiment for newbies here is awful. Everyone has to start somewhere with zero knowledge and LOTS of practice! ;) Practice, Practice, Practice! Your first 50 cheap jobs aren't going to be perfect. The customers don't know jack about vinyl so unless they've had previous experience they wouldn't know what to expect from someone. I've been doing this for 7 years, using Flexi 8.6 and am finally broadening into printing and Flexi Pro. I've gotten around by word of mouth in my town and ppl continue to come back and send others. Yep, I do this out of my house and it works great! I started doing vinyl for walls and crafts only....then people started coming to me for trailers, truck windows, business windows etc. I've got an in with a local body shop as well. I learn something new everyday. I enjoy doing what I do ;)

i have to say tho.....The real professional business people at Fellers and Mutoh have been more of an honest less arrogant help to me than anyone on here. I haven't read a single forum without a "professional" being completely ignorant or laughing at the OP. I'm so sorry

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The lack of sentiment for newbies here is awful. Everyone has to start somewhere with zero knowledge and LOTS of practice! ;) Practice, Practice, Practice! Your first 50 cheap jobs aren't going to be perfect. The customers don't know jack about vinyl so unless they've had previous experience they wouldn't know what to expect from someone. I've been doing this for 7 years, using Flexi 8.6 and am finally broadening into printing and Flexi Pro. I've gotten around by word of mouth in my town and ppl continue to come back and send others. Yep, I do this out of my house and it works great! I started doing vinyl for walls and crafts only....then people started coming to me for trailers, truck windows, business windows etc. I've got an in with a local body shop as well. I learn something new everyday. I enjoy doing what I do ;)

i have to say tho.....The real professional business people at Fellers and Mutoh have been more of an honest less arrogant help to me than anyone on here. I haven't read a single forum without a "professional" being completely ignorant or laughing at the OP. I'm so sorry

:pops_blinking: The other side of the coin is that you have made three posts ... all critical of other members, without offering any praise of good posts or making a helpful post yourself.

J Hill Designs

You two are actually quite lucky - I started off in this industry with a broom, not a cutter.

I had to EARN my seat at this desk.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hi Mr. Gino,

I'm hardly a "has been", in fact it is painfully clear that in your eyes, as evidenced by your erratic behavior I am a "Up and coming Threat" to you personally. I know you're understandably upset about the fact that I knew about your blood pressure medicine, but with all due respect sir: it takes no "psychic" ability to read the tea leaves in your cup.

All witticism aside: Thanks for taking the time to reply in some vague sort of civilized tone. As to me telling you whats going on in your head: One simply needs to do a search of say maybe your last 4-5 posts and the telling will simply speak for itself. I have nothing but the utmost respect for anyones talent, (yours included). I could only wish that I had the ability to design a graphic poster, advertisement or sign that didn't look like some 3rd grader's finger painting assignment. But when someone like me or any other newbie comes onto a signmaking forum, asking for advice on the appropriate sub-board, and has you and your gang instantly fly off the handle, accusing said postee of ruining your livelihood, stealing food from your mouths, destroying the industry, etc.. It is frankly juvenile on your part. Why do you even bother to view he posts and take the time to rant about them if you feel they are so far beneath your superior skill level? Why not just stick to the "Paid Subscription only" forums where you and your pals can sit around and massage each others egos and ridicule the likes of me and other newbies? - Why even lower yourself to needlessly debate my worthless comments? (You can answer for yourself, my psychic abilities not withstanding)

You are 100% correct (aping my own statements, about myself BTW) In that I don't know jack diddy about the industry: I got my start in the "industry" buying a cheap a$$ plotter from UScutter, and started selling wimpy vinyl cut decals on ebay for a few bucks each Something a true professional such as yourself would consider far beneath your sophisticated talents and not even worth your time. Yet you have no hesitation about attacking me for stepping up and doing so.. So basically your philosophy on the subject can be summed up as: "I, Gino consider the manufacture and sale of $5.00 vinyl decals far beneath my 40 years of experience, and I would not even consider lowering myself to such trivial undertakings: HOWEVER, now that I have dictated that such measly doings are beneath me.. I hereby dictate that nobody else can do so either, since to do so would be to disrespect me and my 40 years of experience..." Whatever, the whole precept is silly, and you know it Gino.

As I outlined in my very first post on this "sales, marketing, pricing" (where: Whoa! you better think twice about asking a "sales, marketing or Pricing" question! (unless of course you are already a professional, then it's OK to ask a question because you of course already know the answer! You are after all a pro, and the only possible reason that the "sales, marketing & Pricing" forum even exists is for industry pros to ask each other questions that they already know the answer to and then they can bandy back and forth with clever "industry insider" repartee) forum - I was asking you so called "Industry professionals" what a fair price to charge per square foot on banner printing would be so as to not even try to undercut my local "Industry professionals" would be: How the 'h more respectful to you pros and the "industry" could anyone be for christs sake? - or do you cling to the stance that someone like me Should not even be "allowed" to buy a wide format printer in the first place? Are you truly that daft? - As I clearly explained: I Market my printing only service to a local "SignMaking Professional" who's printer crapped the bed, and he does not have the technical/mechanical skills to keep his own printer running. He came to the astute conclusion that it is more profitable for him to market and reap the profits from his design talents (and charge the customer accordingly, with my Price/sq foot considered & Built in) and leave the mechanical (no brain required) task of physically printing to me, and pay me a fair price for that. How exactly is that disrespecting or Harming any of you old goats? How is that Harming anyone? Even the slightest application of common sense would show that it is a win-win for everyone. How do you construe that as me telling you all how to do your jobs? - It does not even slightly imply anything of the sort. Therefore - It is my expert opinion (drawing on my vast knowledge of ALL THINGS that you conceded above (thank you for recognizing that!)) - that you are not quite so secure in your 40 years of experience so as to just ignore little bull$hit filled guys like me, if you were you would simply..ignore me.

Lastly, and food for further thought: It is entirely possible to figure out how to install a diesel (or gasoline) Turbocharger simply by googling around and watching some informative Youtube videos. If you decide to take it on, please PM me. Despite your overt hostility, I'd be happy to lend you a hand and impart what knowledge (if any, besides my awesome personality) I have. heck - I'll even bring the beer. you're actually kinda likable in your own curmudgeonry sort of way.

*smoochies*

lod, just forget it. You missed the boat, entirely. If I want to hear someone TELL me and not explain my shortcomings, I'll be sure to look you up. Otherwise, put a sock in it. While you sound like you have potential, you're just an over-inflated windbag who knows some neat words and nothing of the trade.

-t

I'm sorry some of you "professionals" feel the way you do. I joined this site to gain knowledge about some things I'm unfamiliar with. However, every forum I've viewed to answer some of my questions has some "professional" making an ignorant remark about the question which ends up (like this post) as a battle between unknown individuals hiding behind their computer screen.

Karma? If you give, you receive, If you put your energy into hating and bringing down individuals you feel shouldn't be in your trade that are here asking for your professional help.....You will receive that negative energy in some form right back at you.

All of this is a matter of opinion based on personal thoughts created in our own minds. Everyone makes up their own meaning to others input.

Great people are more than happy to help the underdog in any way they can. Not smash em to the ground. It's about love, no hate. That's good karma. Whatever you believe, you will attract. Ignorance will be your biggest enemy.

My "hobby vinyl" won't have any affect on you all unless you live in my town. Someday, I would love to open my own shop. But financially right now it's not feasible. I can't fathom starting a business in mounds of debt. Especially in such a small town. My customers are more than happy to give their business to a local because there is no one else here that does it. I'm sorry that it makes some of you angry that us small hobby people force you to have to explain yourselves to customers. That is a sincere comment.

My experience on this site has been rough because of all of the negativity here. Jealousy is eating everyone alive. I've found no inspiration here yet. So sad

You said the very thing I've been saying for years. You, the lods or most anyone on this site is not going to affect another member here, but you are affecting the industry in your home-town. You ARE hurting someone or perhaps many, who are trying desperately to do this with the proper insurance, pricing, equipment, software and most of all..... knowledge. They too have families, bills, mortgages and things they need or want, but some hack is preventing them from getting their fair share. You are not being fair to our industry, simply cause you wanna be a sign person with absolutely no talent or dues paid in.

After hearing Jill's story, you and lod... and probably some others are still gonna go on about how you're not hurting anyone. Well open your frickin' eyes !! There is a sign artist and letterer, that can paint circles around you both by brush or computer. However, she has something none of you have. INTEGRITY. She is going to sell her house, give up her business, rather then become a cheap hack like you or lod. Can you say any different ?? No, I didn't think so. I will do anything I can to help her in her transition, if I can, because I have met her on a few occasions and she is a really a good person with a heart of gold. lod says we're a bunch of mean ol' people cause we're pros..... well, I'm not much one for titles, but it now needs to be said, if we're a bunch of old, stubborn, selfish, b@stards, it only stands to reason, you and you're kind are a bunch of silly, gimme-gimmee, self-praise-stinkin' bunch of users and abusers. You come here and take and never contribute. Like a bunch of teenagers who think they know it all and should move outta the house while they still do, cause their parents are just too old fashioned. Well kiddies, if the foo sh!ts wear it.

What are you gonna do when you're done running off the last professional here ?? So many are already gone. Is it my being obnoxious towards snot-nosed nobodies or is it because day in and day out it's all about how to get the cheapest ink, the dumbest design accepted or just newbies ranting about the fact that they don't know anything ??

We're what you call pattern makers. We KNOW how to do all of this without a computer. Most of us can paint pictures, caricatures, letter buildings and high tanks without ever turning on a computer. We can weld, blow neon and screen print. Most can design something beyond a 'for sale' sign and still make it look pleasing. While eye to hand coordination was essential in our day, it's still widely needed to accomplish most tasks in this field. A thumbnail will say volumes for someone meeting with a new client. You don't have to create a Rembrandt. Even stick figures will do, but someone with no artistic talent.... in this trade..... why ??

While you people keep beating your heads against the wall trying to put us old codgers in our place, you're slowly letting a huge amount of knowledge just wither away. There is nothing better than watching and getting hands-on experience...... and coming here is next best. There's no right or wrong way to ask dumb questions, but there is a way to insult your teachers. All I can say, is wait. Just wait. Your day will come, if you make it in this industry or anywhere. There will be takers and givers and it's not pleasant to constantly get kicked in the teeth from a no body. How many of you when going to school told your teachers.... or better yet, your college profs.... that they had queer ways of teaching ?? Bet that landed ya a good mark, huh ??

This place is for everyone and although there's no right or wrong way to be here if you are ever so remotely into the sign industry, you still need to learn. Can't we all get along and play to the same tune ?? You want less belittlement and we want less know-it-alls pretending to already know it all.

Considering we all want to further this industry, it's not looking good, so it's really your call. I learn something here all the time, but it has very little to do with the sign industry. Can any of you say that ??

Techman

Practice! Your first 50 cheap jobs aren't going to be perfect.

No your first 500 jobs will not be perfect either. And not a single cheap job will ever be perfect.

Practice before you go out and completely ruin a job the reputation of the industry and the reputation of yourself then have to run back here to ask what went wrong.

Practice what I preach???
A good example? There is a number of people in the CNC world who are studying how to run their equipment and software. They are NOT running out to find the first paying job to screw up. They are getting at least competent practicing with each other and going to seminars FIRST. Yes, FIRST. Then once they can cut a reasonable piece do they attempt to get paid. And they surely have ten times the money invested in the tackle they need to do the work than someone with $98 bux spent on a cutter and some low grade software.

Hmmmm. Maybe that is the point. Those with a huge investment have an incentive to do it right. Those with just pocket change invested really are not motivated to do it right.

lodcomm

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Fred Weiss
:pops_blinking: The other side of the coin is that you have made three posts ... all critical of other members, without offering any praise of good posts or making a helpful post yourself.

EXACTLY. All I've heard is whining from your corner. If you can't take the heat, go cry somewhere else.

Greetings Mr Weiss & Mr White:

I don't see it that way at all. In fact if you follow the thread from the start , please reference post #12 where CherryGraphics clearly *did* post and offer some helpful, constructive input & advice to the OP. In fact it was that post (#12) That caused SignMaster Gino to become lathered up, jump on his blowhard bandwagon (reference post #14) and offer his standard version of "constructive input ", which basically consists of Insulting CherryGraphix, the OP and "everyone LIKE them" [sic]. Face it.. the guy is a clown.

-t

lodcomm

Gino:

lod, just forget it. You missed the boat, entirely. If I want to hear someone TELL me and not explain my shortcomings, I'll be sure to look you up. Otherwise, put a sock in it. While you sound like you have potential, you're just an over-inflated windbag who knows some neat words and nothing of the trade.

SignMaster Gino,

Thank you for the kind acknowledgement of my command of "Neat" words (you forgot to mention my "Rapier wit"). I work hard to make my posts not only Informative,but colorful and fun. The fact that I have made an impression on you will be forever remembered as a major milestone in my life. In Fact I might even cut out a (cheap chinese vinyl of course, on my $200 UScutter plotter) rear window decal: something to the effect: "Friend of GINOS!" - I will be absolutely sure to post my design on the "Critique" forum so you can have some input before I actually "Go Live" with my push buttons. Now that I think about it, I'm positive any design I were to make would not pass muster: How about if you give me a quote for designing it for me? - Once it meets the Approval of the "critique committee" (which should be instantaneously if YOU do the design/layout). I will add it to my meager array of E-bay Offerings. (Don't worry! - I will run it by you before I decide on a price as well).

Given my penchant for long winded posts, I am not quite sure it is possible for me to be "Over-Inflated" isn't that kind of a double negative or some sort of thing?

Anyhow, thanks for letting me know I missed the boat - I can assume my work with you is done? (Now I want you to think about what you have learned here, treat it as say a "tree" you can grow from).

You are hereby dismissed.

-t

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Greetings Mr Weiss & Mr White:

I don't see it that way at all. In fact if you follow the thread from the start , please reference post #12 where CherryGraphics clearly *did* post and offer some helpful, constructive input & advice to the OP. In fact it was that post (#12) That caused SignMaster Gino to become lathered up, jump on his blowhard bandwagon (reference post #14) and offer his standard version of "constructive input ", which basically consists of Insulting CherryGraphix, the OP and "everyone LIKE them" [sic]. Face it.. the guy is a clown.

-t

So, again, because you say it... it is therefore nonnegotiable and must be dogma. The End.

Please tell me more about me. :Sleeping: I'm really beginning to understand me. I'll even bet you know Dr Phil ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino:

SignMaster Gino,

Thank you for the kind acknowledgement of my command of "Neat" words (you forgot to mention my "Rapier wit"). I work hard to make my posts not only Informative,but colorful and fun. The fact that I have made an impression on you will be forever remembered as a major milestone in my life. In Fact I might even cut out a (cheap chinese vinyl of course, on my $200 UScutter plotter) rear window decal: something to the effect: "Friend of GINOS!" - I will be absolutely sure to post my design on the "Critique" forum so you can have some input before I actually "Go Live" with my push buttons. Now that I think about it, I'm positive any design I were to make would not pass muster: How about if you give me a quote for designing it for me? - Once it meets the Approval of the "critique committee" (which should be instantaneously if YOU do the design/layout). I will add it to my meager array of E-bay Offerings. (Don't worry! - I will run it by you before I decide on a price as well).

Given my penchant for long winded posts, I am not quite sure it is possible for me to be "Over-Inflated" isn't that kind of a double negative or some sort of thing?

Anyhow, thanks for letting me know I missed the boat - I can assume my work with you is done? (Now I want you to think about what you have learned here, treat it as say a "tree" you can grow from).

You are hereby dismissed.

-t

Awwww,,,,,,. do I weelly hawfta go...... weelly ?? :covereyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would appreciate the quote on the decal layout before you do!

-t

Quote for what ?? What decal ??

I'll say $42 and a half... plus labor after the 1st yellow box is opened of the month with harel stones on the very top of watering cans. Please, don't forget to wipe when finished.

Oh, loddie, loddie, loddie........ what ARE we gonna do with you ?? :loveya:

Auburnpeanut

Wow...there is some real anger going on with this one. This is my two cents and everyone can take it for what it is worth. I understand a hobbyist wanting to learn information and tips/tricks from "Professionals", people who have been doing it longer and those who are just good at what they do. I don't blame them for wanting to find out more. I also understand where the "Professionals" are coming from. Working in the sign business I feed my family with the fruits of my labor and skills as well. It is very frustrating to have people who work from home as a hobby undercut our prices are do a bad job on things. Of course someone without the shop, materials, equipment, insurance, etc can make things cheaper than we can. They will never grow beyond a certain point without having to invest in the business which will force them to raise their prices or go out of business. I have seen it happen countless times in town. I don't fault a "newbie", "hobbyist" or anyone asking for help or information. What "you" as a person have to decide is do you think they are trying to learn to be better or trying to undercut. If you feel they are trying to be better then help them. If you feel they are undercutting them, then don't. I believe in helping people as I never had anyone helping me in the first many years I worked for a small sign shop. There are some tips and tricks I might not tell someone right away. Some things have to be learned on your own. Some things can't be learned until you learn other things first. Those are the deciding factors on whether I help someone, don't help or how much I help. We each have differing opinions of what is the right thing to do in this place. If you don't want to help someone, then don't. Maybe calmly state why you don't want to help them. the ranting and raving back and forth doesn't further anything for anybody. Even old dogs can learn new tricks, so I enjoy reading the new posts. New people often ask questions that I would never even think to ask. I like reading the responses. What I don't like is having to read all the cr@p back and forth. If you don't want to help someone quit posting in the thread. If you want to rant about newbies and hobbyists then start a thread about it. That way those who want to complain can as well as those newbies can get their fill of being bashed. I would think that no one answering a question asked would more of a point to the person than being insulted. Besides coming here and asking a question about how to price fairly seems better to me than secretly calling your direct competition to ask pricing. Getting an idea for pricing over many areas gives people a general idea. Actual pricing ends up being dictated by local factors. I understand the point of view of both sides. What I don't understand is what it has to do with the original question. That is my two cents...take it or leave it.

We would be around $75 per door depending on actual design and amount originally on glass.

Peanut

neil_se

I own some scissors and clippers so thought I'd start hairdressing on the side. So far my customers haven't been terribly happy but hey, they got it done for cheap, I'm learning, and in 5-6 weeks they'll be over it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My barber always told me the difference between a good hair cut and a bad one was about 2 weeks.