• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much wrap work do you do?

About what percentage of your monthly sales revenue comes from vehicle wraps?

• Nearly 100%

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • About 75%

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • About 50%

Votes: 13 6.7%
  • About 25%

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • Less than 10%

Votes: 69 35.6%
  • None

Votes: 86 44.3%

• Total voters

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
With the ongoing thread regarding 3M and their Original Wraps program, it might be interesting to know how much of each member's business involves vehicle wraps.

heyskull

Hi

I would love to do a lot more vehicle wrapping and use our printer to its full extent.
But Initial costs for design work and then cost in materials severely make this form of advertising expensive (at least in the customers eyes).
I realise that it is all about selling vehicle wraps as advertising but here in the UK cheapness is King (at least in Cumbria it is).
I still find customers do not want to pay signmakers for their design time and I am not willing to give this time away as free.
I reckon if 3M got into offering wraps in the UK they would go bust...LOL

SC

Craig Sjoquist

Well I bought CorelDraw X5 in hopes of doing more digital work like designing for wraps just recently.
But also need more software to cover wider range of design & will also need a bigger PC so one step at a time.

I also can paint a full wrap which I would rather do, just willing to go after it

rjssigns

Full wraps, not so much around here. Unless it is an IMCA modified racer.(those are shot by mid-season) Partials are an easier sell. It is always about the money. Hard pressed to drive around and see a full wrap in my area.

Suz

Fred, interesting pole here.

I don't have all of the materials that I want yet, so have been doing some simpler wraps for over 2 years now using cad cut vinyls and feel like I have that process down pretty good.

Some of my Customers would like me do full color graphics for them, but I want to put myself through some training before I commit to those kind of wraps. When I have a wider selection of materials (a big investment for me) I'll try some of the digital printable materials using my HP Latex printer and hopefully do a few wrap jobs a month.

Although my plan in purchasing the Latex printer included some vehicle wrap jobs, I don't plan on primarily doing full vehicle wraps, as most of my Customers are just looking for a few areas of advertising on their vehicles. Having the ability to do an ocassional wrap is a very nice service to provide to Customers that I already have a relationship with.

signpro

Manager
we don't do very many, a handful a year. it's always about the $$ as well. i try my best to explain to the customer they need to look at this as a 5yr advertising plan, and break that cost down into 5yrs, then look at how cheap it is per year! especially compared to any other advertising they already do each year.

still a hard sell.

petepaz

we don't do much at all but we also don't go looking for it. the price does scare alot of people away, next i am the only one in our company that does the installs so it does take me a while by my self because of all the other hats i wear. i have been heving my son in law work with me teaching him to install so i can get more jobs done.
i would say we do more digital print / partial wraps which is fine by me
dresses up the vehicle real nice and still gets their message out there

Hicalibersigns

We have several fleet customers and keep a vehicle in the shop almost all the time. Ours is about 50%. Most are partials. We use Avery Materials almost exclusively. I know, I know... they screwed everybody years ago and Ehrmagherd...Derf Derf!!! We have not had any issues with the material and while our suppliers keep trying to sell us 3m, they never can get close to the prices we are paying for Avery.

Joe Diaz

We do a lot of vehicle graphics and advertising, but only a small handful of them are wraps. However we're designing them all the time for other shops or businesses. So ours would be well below 10% unless you include just designing them.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We did much more years ago, but like everything else.... too many lowballers have knocked the bottom out of this market. As mentioned in the other thread, most of the wraps you see around here are full of slice marks, wrinkles and all kinds of other problems. Evidently, people are cheap around here, so we concentrate on things which will make us money.

Our first year doing it, we did almost 70 trucks. Then it tapered off and we now do quite a few partial wraps and very few full wraps.... maybe 5 to 10 full wraps a year, if that. Heck, we don't even design a lot of them, like Joe. The hacks do it all for like $1,200 to $2,000 a pop, including the design.

Atomic DNA

I have also chosen not to go down the wrap road. Like a few others stated, too many people lowballing each other and I spend most of my time doing things that will actually make money (most of the time anyways, lol). We will sometimes design them for customers if they want.

ezeloCreative

As a design house we do lots of wrap designs (Branding) for different vehicles, race helmets, show cars etc. Just starting to print in-house but still send out lots of designs every week for other companies, so i would say about 50% of my business is wrap related.

cdiesel

I'd be more interested to see revenue dollars versus percent. Ours may be a smaller percent, but I'd bet money it's still more dollars that a lot of others whose percentage might be 100. Can the poll responses be hidden? I think a lot of people might be hesitant to post dollar amounts in the open.