Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much wrap work do you do?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Fred Weiss, Sep 10, 2012.

About what percentage of your monthly sales revenue comes from vehicle wraps?

1. Nearly 100%

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. About 75%

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. About 50%

13 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. About 25%

16 vote(s)
    8.2%
  5. Less than 10%

69 vote(s)
    35.6%
  6. None

86 vote(s)
    44.3%
  1. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    With the ongoing thread regarding 3M and their Original Wraps program, it might be interesting to know how much of each member's business involves vehicle wraps.

Tags:
  2. heyskull

heyskull Very Active Member

Sep 2, 2007
    UK
    Hi

I would love to do a lot more vehicle wrapping and use our printer to its full extent.
    But Initial costs for design work and then cost in materials severely make this form of advertising expensive (at least in the customers eyes).
    I realise that it is all about selling vehicle wraps as advertising but here in the UK cheapness is King (at least in Cumbria it is).
    I still find customers do not want to pay signmakers for their design time and I am not willing to give this time away as free.
    I reckon if 3M got into offering wraps in the UK they would go bust...LOL

SC

3. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Well I bought CorelDraw X5 in hopes of doing more digital work like designing for wraps just recently.
    But also need more software to cover wider range of design & will also need a bigger PC so one step at a time.

I also can paint a full wrap which I would rather do, just willing to go after it

4. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Full wraps, not so much around here. Unless it is an IMCA modified racer.(those are shot by mid-season) Partials are an easier sell. It is always about the money. Hard pressed to drive around and see a full wrap in my area.

5. mnapuran

mnapuran Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Plano (Dallas), TX
    Revenue? I'd say close to 50% on average.

And yes... more partials then full wraps.

6. Border

Border Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Minnesota
    Average since January of 2010 to present is at 51.2% for me, according to the books.

7. Suz

Suz Very Active Member

Apr 9, 2010
    The Great Northwest
    Fred, interesting pole here.

I don't have all of the materials that I want yet, so have been doing some simpler wraps for over 2 years now using cad cut vinyls and feel like I have that process down pretty good.

Some of my Customers would like me do full color graphics for them, but I want to put myself through some training before I commit to those kind of wraps. When I have a wider selection of materials (a big investment for me) I'll try some of the digital printable materials using my HP Latex printer and hopefully do a few wrap jobs a month.

Although my plan in purchasing the Latex printer included some vehicle wrap jobs, I don't plan on primarily doing full vehicle wraps, as most of my Customers are just looking for a few areas of advertising on their vehicles. Having the ability to do an ocassional wrap is a very nice service to provide to Customers that I already have a relationship with.

8. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    I don't pursue wraps, I'm a sign shop.
    Vehicle lettering yes but full vehicle wraps no!

9. signpro

signpro Manager

Dec 29, 2008
    Central Wisconsin
    we don't do very many, a handful a year. it's always about the $$ as well. i try my best to explain to the customer they need to look at this as a 5yr advertising plan, and break that cost down into 5yrs, then look at how cheap it is per year! especially compared to any other advertising they already do each year.

still a hard sell.

10. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    Alot. Is this homework for 3M?

11. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    we don't do much at all but we also don't go looking for it. the price does scare alot of people away, next i am the only one in our company that does the installs so it does take me a while by my self because of all the other hats i wear. i have been heving my son in law work with me teaching him to install so i can get more jobs done.
    i would say we do more digital print / partial wraps which is fine by me
    dresses up the vehicle real nice and still gets their message out there

12. Hicalibersigns

Hicalibersigns Member

Apr 8, 2011
    We have several fleet customers and keep a vehicle in the shop almost all the time. Ours is about 50%. Most are partials. We use Avery Materials almost exclusively. I know, I know... they screwed everybody years ago and Ehrmagherd...Derf Derf!!! We have not had any issues with the material and while our suppliers keep trying to sell us 3m, they never can get close to the prices we are paying for Avery.

13. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    That's what it looks like!

14. Joe Diaz

Joe Diaz Very Active Member

We do a lot of vehicle graphics and advertising, but only a small handful of them are wraps. However we're designing them all the time for other shops or businesses. So ours would be well below 10% unless you include just designing them.

15. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    We did much more years ago, but like everything else.... too many lowballers have knocked the bottom out of this market. As mentioned in the other thread, most of the wraps you see around here are full of slice marks, wrinkles and all kinds of other problems. Evidently, people are cheap around here, so we concentrate on things which will make us money.

Our first year doing it, we did almost 70 trucks. Then it tapered off and we now do quite a few partial wraps and very few full wraps.... maybe 5 to 10 full wraps a year, if that. Heck, we don't even design a lot of them, like Joe. The hacks do it all for like $1,200 to $2,000 a pop, including the design.

16. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    It's very disappointing that this is what you think.

17. Atomic DNA

Atomic DNA Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Western KY
    I have also chosen not to go down the wrap road. Like a few others stated, too many people lowballing each other and I spend most of my time doing things that will actually make money (most of the time anyways, lol). We will sometimes design them for customers if they want.

18. ezeloCreative

ezeloCreative New Member

Aug 17, 2012
    As a design house we do lots of wrap designs (Branding) for different vehicles, race helmets, show cars etc. Just starting to print in-house but still send out lots of designs every week for other companies, so i would say about 50% of my business is wrap related.

19. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    100% and we do a LOT of them.

20. cdiesel

cdiesel Very Active Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd be more interested to see revenue dollars versus percent. Ours may be a smaller percent, but I'd bet money it's still more dollars that a lot of others whose percentage might be 100. Can the poll responses be hidden? I think a lot of people might be hesitant to post dollar amounts in the open.