• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How often does the encoder strip need to be replaced on an SP-540

nlgsigns

I had the encoder strip replaced about 6 months ago but have noticed recently that i'm getting similar issues as before where the prints are coming out right. The lines aren't sharp and things just seem a little offline. I've tried cleaning the strip a few times but the issues has continued. How often does one need to change the strip out? Could the issues i'm having be attributed to something else? We had a tech replace it for us last time since he was doing some other work, but were planning on doing it ourselves this time as it seems quite simple. Is that the case or is there anything particularly tricky about it?

CS-SignSupply

Clean your printer on a regular basis.

You may have an overspray problem or possibly the cut trailing cable has a lot of ink and metal dust built up on it.

Be careful installing yourself.... these can be scratched relatively easy.

InkjetAuction

Linear Encoder Wear

A couple of things here...

Encoder strips usually last several years if taken care of.

If you are getting premature wear it could just be that your encoder sensor is riding on one side of the encoder strip. The sensor should be adjusted so that it straddles the strip. There is a single screw that holds the sensor in place, and its position can be adjusted.

Second... be sure that when you are cleaning the strip that you use nothing stronger than 70% isopropyl alcohol. Anything stronger and you might remove the encoder lines.

Third, the encoder sensor itself could be an issue. Perhaps it needs to be cleaned (especially if it has been riding on the strip.)

Finally, if you do find that the encoder strip looks "damaged", it can usually be "flipped" to use the side of the strip that sits hidden in the track. You just have to punch a couple of holes to make it work.

As I always say--while servicing these machines is not like servicing the space shuttle, you can easily damage some expensive parts if you don't know what you are doing. Pay a qualified tech or knowledgeable user to teach you--if you are inexperienced in servicing these machines. It will be $$ well spent, and you will learn a new skill in the process.

~E

Last edited:

cartoad

We typically replace the encoder strip about every 6 mos, and the sensor once per year. I keep one of each in stock and replace them myself, and do the calibration. Talking to techs I think the problem we have is the overspray issue combined with a very dusty area is the cause. We rarely get much life out of the encoder when we turn it over

cdiesel

We replace as needed, but we typically get 12-18 months out of the strips. And we run the machines hard.

Encoder problems aren't typically diagnosed by fuzzy prints. You'll usually see stair stepping in the prints. Can you post a pic of the problems you're having?

anotherdog

We are still running on the original strip 3+ years on.
I'm thinking some other factor must be aging yours.

I guess we all want to see pictures!