• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to cut Acrylite successfully?

Sign Works

Panel saw with a good / proper blade, never a problem.

Polycarbonate will occasionally blow out on entry or exit on the panel saw so generally I'll cut that with a hand held router and a straight edge.

CanuckSigns

I assume you are talking about acrylic. Depending on thickness, if it's under 0.25" we score and snap it. Over that is either cut on the table saw with an acrylic blade set just higher than the piece or router cut.

Techman

For decades cutting plastic panels has been discussed a million times. Every one has their best way. But too many have some kind of bad results when done. How many have tried to install an acrylic panel only to have to split or run a 3 inch crack, or have a crescent chip fall out.. That is just one of the negative results.

The absolute best way to cut plastic panels is use a fine toothed paneling saw run backwards. Yes backwards. That will work because plastic cuts best with a negative rake on the saw tooth. Then you get a clean cut with absolutely no micro cracks or other negative results. The saw blade will never grab the plastic and cause a gouge or a crack in any way.

Before any one objects and say that is the wrong way,,, all one has to do is think about a miter saw. They run great for cutting plastic and aluminum and other products because the proper blade miter saw blade has a 7 degree negative rake on the teeth. That negative rake prevents the saw from grabbing and pulling the blade into the work.

rjssigns

7-1/4" circular saw blades on our table saw. They're made by Oldham and are the professional series X-Cel carbide. Cuts like a hot knife through warm butter. We use the same style for ACM.

blufftonsignguy

I normally use a carbide tip blade (60 tooth) and run it real slow. A router as was discussed earlier is also a very good was to do it.

artbot

the cleanest cut i've ever gotten, from something that is shop based (you can get a cleaner cut from a heavy duty cnc router with a diamond bit) is a track saw with using a plastics blade. yes the saw will run you about $600ish and the blade is another $135, but the edge left is almost transparent due to the lack of vibration during the cut. tracksaws reduce micro chatter and run straighter than moving the part by hand. a panel saw can do almost as good of a job (a really expensive panel saw...$3000ish) with a plastics blade.