• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to make your own application fluid ?

Michael

I think that after about 10 years most professional sign builders know when and when not to wet or dry mount, but thanks for the lesson anyway. Now can you tell us how actually read a measuring tape? After 20 years, I still can get the hang of it....

So you are offended by my post and you are the vinyl guy that sprays down an area with solvent, stands back a few feet to see if it's straight?!?!?......then yes that is kinda weak, would it not be easier to measure down how far you are going to be sticking the sign with a tape measure and mark with low-tac tape where to stick your sign and know that it's perfect? If after your 20 years of experience I would think you would have a better system for sticking vinyl then eyeballing it and moving your sign up a notch or down a notch.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I’ve haven’t seen so much BS in one thread for quite some time. The longer this goes on the better it gets.

First we’re trying to copy manufacturer’s recipes, [we can’t copy each other’s drawings, but we can copy big companies ingredients to cut costs], then we’re into making bombs and telling jokes about the bombs to cover up, to laying it dry or you’re no good at your job. So, never, never use wet anything ??

There’s a time and place for every method of laying down vinyl and if you say you NEVER use a wet method…. You’re either lying or don’t cover the whole gamut of signmaking.

LMSigns24

I have used soapy water for 3 years and have not had any problems. I did use rapic tac and that was nice too, but i go through way to much of it. Save money and use soapy water!

Jillbeans

I would think you would have a better system for sticking vinyl then eyeballing it and moving your sign up a notch or down a notch.
Guess you never heard of an optical center then.
I measure, but with all the crazy body lines on vehicles these days, sometimes the old "eyeball" method is indeed the best.
You really presume to know a lot about the ways in which people do things. As Fred states, there is really no single "best" way of doing anything.
Love....Jill

Michael

I'm sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way. I agree that there are different ways of doing things depending on what you are up against.

We all learned our own way, and one thing that I love about making signs is the creativity of it.

:peace!:

Patchmaster

I can see the bumper sticker now... er sorry.. the bumper DECAL now...

Real signmakers do it dry....

I'm new here so flame on as usual, however i've been in business for 30 years and have ALWAYS worked smarter not harder. I don't work out of pride I work FOR pride.
Once ego get in the way one has just dropped a few rungs down the ladder.
I see nothing wrong with adapting ones attitude and aptitude to utilize the available tools to efficiently complete a job in which the final result is something I, and my client, can be proud of.

I'll not bash the "old school" mentality 'cause it does have it's place, however taking the time to discount and bash others tools and techniques without explaining how and why your technique is "technically" better and or more efficient loses some credibility and could be viewed as bully'ish.

do some really want to help around here, or just re-establish their pecking order.

Each technique has merits, if some people can't admit that I am almost embarrassed for you for being to "set in your ways".

To the noobs that read this for valuable advice, including me, take my advice. Filter out the bull-bucky and focus on the real advice from those that care enough to truly add valuable advice and constructive criticism.

Everything else is simply d**k swinging. Sorry ladies ;)

Bill

Michael

I have made myself an easy target. I enjoy the different techniques for the different jobs at hand, I spoke in haste and for that I officially apologies.

Try rubbing alcohal, soap and water.

Techman

Try rubbing alcohal, soap and water.

AHAHHAAHAHAAHAHAH

thats the ticket. Add more oil to the mix. hehehehehe]

clean it real good to make sure there is no oil or grease or dirt. Then add some more oil. Good idea..

Oh yes. Rubbing alcohol has mineral oil in it. Just read the label. Its about 6% oil.

Michael

I would not use a solution because I have messed up sticks in the past because of not using enough, using to much, it drying to fast, or it taking to long to dry. When using some low-tac tape I can actually stick my vinyl on first using measurements or eyeballing, at which point I can actually ask the customer if that is indeed how they want there sticker to look without worrying about drying times or squeezing out excess soap and water.

I just wanted to give some reasoning to what I said, and like I said "I made myself an easy target", I have apologized and would not like to continue the flaming.

Jillbeans

Michael is OK in my book, I don't think he meant to sound rude.
But yes, some things are definitely better when done wet.
:)
Love....Jill

Bogie

Well, I'm still at the stage....

Smaller things, I'll do dry. Hinge, whatever... Larger, I'm flooding, just to have a little margin of error. Right now I've got the time, you know? Goal is to use less flood over time.

I'm still working on the spray bottle full of stuff I got from the local Sign Stuff Shack.

Michael

Michael is OK in my book, I don't think he meant to sound rude.
But yes, some things are definitely better when done wet.
:)
Love....Jill

Thanks Jill. I am new to these forums and I got off to a bad start. I am going to quit while I'm behind :Cool 2:. It also seems I am wrong about the solution I advised when mixing with rubbing alcohal..... just seemed to me the pink stuff I used years ago was like rubbing alcohal if I remember correctly.....which obviously I did not :Big Laugh