• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to talk to unhappy employee’s.

CC-CMYK

We have one employee. They are fast efficient and do a great job.

They seem to be unhappy though. Any advice on how to approach an employee that seems unhappy and frustrated?

SignosaurusRex

If you consider this employee a "valued" or potentially valued" member of your staff thus far, try sitting down with them away from "work", in a neutral environment and... having a real "conversation".
Consider talking "with" them, rather than "to" them.
Keep an open mind and measured tongue. Let them speak their mind without repercussions. No limits to time of conversation, gloves off, total honesty and above all... keep it all civil and never leap to conclusions.
What comes from it may be something to consider, possibly surprising or enlightening or require digestion and perhaps another conversation at a later date.
If they are unhappy or frustrated at work, it is usually worth taking a little time and investigating. It may be a positive learning experience for both parties.
If what transpires does in fact require digestion and time to consider... let the employee know that fact ...that you "hear" them and you will be addressing it with them again in short order. Follow up with them ...it may require more than one meeting ...it's what we call "Growing Pains" of "Being in Business".
Never underestimate what an employee may be able to bring to the table.

Happy Trails... ;)

Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Are they unhappy with the job, or just unhappy with personal stuff? Either way, a conversation is in order... To keep the employee because they are a valuable asset to your business, and/or help them because you care. .... because they are an asset, or you genuinely care about the person.

SignosaurusRex

Are they unhappy with the job, or just unhappy with personal stuff? Either way, a conversation is in order... To keep the employee because they are a valuable asset to your business, and/or help them because you care. .... because they are an asset, or you genuinely care about the person.
Sometimes an employee will have a major (real or perceived) situation in their personal life that an employer can very simply remedy for a valued employee. I have been on both ends as an employee and employer. In all cases, the outcome was a "positive" for all.
In the O.P.'s case... it may be that simple ...or it may be something else. I have seen cases where an employer had a set way of doing certain things yet the employee had legitimately better ways and was rejected as well as chastised. A closed mind along the way resulted in a lose-lose situation for both parties.

SignosaurusRex

If the employee is like my wife, you ask them what's bothering them and they snap and say "nothing, everything fine". Then they go on and keep pouting the rest of the day.
I'm sorry to hear of your situation, but, please... keep your personal miseries to yourself as we all have our own sufferings to deal with. :doh:

Goatshaver

Whether it's their job or life that's got them down, I'd say just a chat with them about it is worth doing. Just simply asking someone who may be depressed or feeling undervalued, what can help them or possibly alleviate some of the feelings, will do wonders.
I felt like that at my previous job and just simply sitting down and talking to my boss, even though not much came of it, made me feel much better to be listened to. Sometimes that's all some people need is someone to listen to what they have to say.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Back in the early 80s when our first shop started to grow, there were about 7 or 8 guys working for us. We all got along rather well. If they had problems, they knew they could come to me or talk among themselves. We started Thursday lunch is on us day, back then, too.... which is still going. Anyway, you don't wanna get chummy-chummy with your employees, but they need to know they can come to you for anything, from a sounding board to friendly advice... or at least your experiences. Back then, I was younger than 1/2 the people working for us, so some of the older guys became the go to-ers. While listening to how others handled things, I took some of this and some of that and added in my own stuff and now anyone knows they can count on me. We had lotsa one-on-ones over the years and we had lotsa discussions or evaluations. Always brought up the good points and followed with the 'ya might wanna work on this' area. This is something any small shop (less than 20 people) should incorporate. It's much better than having a good..... or a bad employee let something fester and then go off on ya. Makes for a better atmosphere and a safer workplace.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If it's not something personal in his life, in my experience, unhappy employees tend to be upset about bad pay, bad boss, or bad co-worker in that order. A lot of the time the best employee ends up getting saddled with all of the responsibilities because they are reliable but if they don't get commensurate bump in pay, it can be very demoralizing. It's extremely hard to watch co-workers making the same pay for less work and responsibly. I'm not saying that's what's happening in your case but you won't know until you talk to him.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Another thing that I have seen bother employees is the business owner being cheap and then showing up with new cars and toys. Also, an absent owner, one that misses days, comes in late, leaves early, takes a lot of vacations etc while your ace worker keeps things afloat for you. Be careful how you hold yourself and be humble.

JBurton

Signtologist
I'm the unhappy frustrated employee today. AND SICK. I'm being pulled in 100 directions and it's not even noon.
Sounds like a day in the life of an owner? Ya have an old 5' core hanging out there right? Write your biggest frustration on it with a sharpie, then beat a trashcan up and down the shop floor. It's amazing what a little physical exertion will do for the mind.

Cut cut, I'm a big fan of open face honesty. Don't dance around it, just ask them "what is bothering them lately. You don't seem like yourself. Is it work related, or something I can help with." And if nothing else, let them know they can holler at you if they do need someone to talk to.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Sounds like a day in the life of an owner? Ya have an old 5' core hanging out there right? Write your biggest frustration on it with a sharpie, then beat a trashcan up and down the shop floor. It's amazing what a little physical exertion will do for the mind.

Cut cut, I'm a big fan of open face honesty. Don't dance around it, just ask them "what is bothering them lately. You don't seem like yourself. Is it work related, or something I can help with." And if nothing else, let them know they can holler at you if they do need someone to talk to.
It beats being a middle school teacher on the last day of school.