• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to vectorize a vehicle to look like clipart?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
As others have said... no quick and easy way. It just depends on how much time you want to spend with details, coloring, realism. Here are a couple of jobs I have done

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 2.28.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 2.28.58 PM.png
    153.7 KB · Views: 387
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 2.28.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 2.28.00 PM.png
    119.4 KB · Views: 426
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 2.27.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 2.27.56 PM.png
    296.4 KB · Views: 430

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What Photoshop, with the help of some third party products, does well is to allow one to enlarge a photo beyond reasonable limits and use artistic effects to hide any flaws that develop. Here's a couple of examples where the image was enlarged about 9,000% and then modified.

Attachments

• Bison 1200.jpg
    Bison 1200.jpg
    670.4 KB · Views: 435
  • Horse Race 1200.jpg
    Horse Race 1200.jpg
    629.3 KB · Views: 402
Are we sure this isn't done with some sort of art pen and brushes that turn to vector? Seems if you had a wacom tablet of sorts you could probably make quick work of this is.

screener24242

there isn't a plug in, there isn't an easy button, the only real tool is talent. Having the knowledge and skill to draw this type of art is what separates one shop from another, like tattoo artists. Most shops will buy clipart and think it looks great and there are shops that can draw and create art. If you can respect and appreciate good art, take a look at these guys:

Commission – Worker

JR's

Why don't you call the T-shirt shop and introduce yourself.
Tell them your story, that you like the artwork that was on the T-shirt from your customer.
Ask them how they did it.
Ask if the opportunity arise if they do work for the trade.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you call the T-shirt shop and introduce yourself.
Tell them your story, that you like the artwork that was on the T-shirt from your customer.
Ask them how they did it.
Ask if the opportunity arise if they do work for the trade.

This is about the best and most logical appraoch.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I drew this up in vector format from a customer's drawing of their car. There is no substitute for putting vector points together; no filter is going to get you to quality vectors. I think this took 10-12 hrs of intense drawing and had 22 layers to keep things organized/locked while I was drawing it. LOTS of gradient meshes.

The new CC Illustrator "Width Tool" is a really helpful tool and being able to fade out (gradient/transparency effect) strokes is also a real helpful feature for things like this but I think I made this before these tools came out.
Untitled-1.jpg car redrawn4.jpg Untitled-2.jpg

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
As others have said... no quick and easy way. It just depends on how much time you want to spend with details, coloring, realism. Here are a couple of jobs I have done

I drew this up in vector format from a customer's drawing of their car. There is no substitute for putting vector points together; no filter is going to get you to quality vectors. I think this took 10-12 hrs of intense drawing and had 22 layers to keep things organized/locked while I was drawing it. LOTS of gradient meshes.
View attachment 134336 View attachment 134337 View attachment 134338
Awesome work you guys. Quite talented.
Were both created in Illustrator?

SignsSupport