• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex Printing Technology - Busting Myths About Latex Printing

rjssigns

Interesting. The biggest advantage I can see is ZERO out-gassing. Even if the printer is a mutt your delivery times should be good.

Ditchmiester

Interesting. The biggest advantage I can see is ZERO out-gassing. Even if the printer is a mutt your delivery times should be good.

Is this true that there is ZERO out-gassing? I'm currently looking into solvent printers but would like to be able to laminate right off of the printer which I know I can't because of out gassing. If the HP Latex can do this it might be a fit for me.

Is the Mimaki Latex the same?

ProColorGraphics

I have had great luck with my L25500! I am not aware of anyone using the Mimaki Latex, that I know of. At least I haven't seen anyone on here talk about it.

Matt-Tastic

Is this true that there is ZERO out-gassing? I'm currently looking into solvent printers but would like to be able to laminate right off of the printer which I know I can't because of out gassing. If the HP Latex can do this it might be a fit for me.

Is the Mimaki Latex the same?

there is no outgassing, because there is nearly no solvent in the inks themselves (only enough to keep the water "pure"). You do need to wait until the material cools back to room temperature before finishing, but thats about 10-15 mins after printing.

there is no outgassing, because there is nearly no solvent in the inks themselves (only enough to keep the water "pure"). You do need to wait until the material cools back to room temperature before finishing, but thats about 10-15 mins after printing.

More like < 3 to 5 minutes for virtually all media products.

mnapuran

Have you guys seen discoloration in prints when doing wraps and having to stretch material? Seems like that is a bigger problem with latex then solvent.

ProWraps

they are no better nor worse than ecosol prints. full solvent will always be better in this regard as it bites farther into the material.

Typestries

We have a small, growing fleet of latex printers. I would be hard pressed to buy another solvent printer. And, we have had solvent printers since before Roland, Mimaki, or Mutoh even thought about the R & D on solvent printers.

IMO, these things are the harbinger of major things to come in this industry. Just as colorspan set the stage for the flatbed industry to explode with the 72UVR, HP has done the same with latex.

From a wrap perspective....join me and my installers on the "dark side" of latex wrapping....where the lack of solvent softening allows us to work super thin films like never before, without solvent/adhesive interaction issues causing vehicle damage.
As latex takes hold, wrap films will get thinner.....and the applications will continue to expand.

If you are stretching your film to the point of discoloration, you are stretching it too far. Remember, if, for example, you stretch it twice the length, you reduce the adhesive load by half. And if it it's stretched on a curve, where the best bond is critical for long term durability, you don't want half the adhesive holding it down.

sowinski_t

I also lam directly after printing, no problems at yet. No worse discolouration than with solvent, and like it was mentioned, if it's discolouring you are stretching it too far.
The adhesive seems to act slightly more aggressive, I'm guessing because the heat of the curing process is working a little like a post heat treatment.
I should point out that this is a guess on my part for the cause and hasn't caused any actual issues for the installers.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

Since both the media and the laminate is gas permeable, even if there were 'out gassing' beyond merely letting the solvents evaporate wholesale as the print emerges from the printer, any additional boiling off of various volatile fractions is sufficiently minute to pass right through the media.

The vary same reasons that small bubbles simply go away after a bit.

In order to accept the notion of 'out gassing' someone has to describe the nature of the fraction involved as well as the time, temperature, and volume of that fraction when it boils off. Horror stories about prints and laminates turning to crap and pointing a finger at the demon 'out gassing' are as entertaining as then are meaningless.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I agree to a CERTAIN extent....that out-gassing is often used as a scapegoat for faulty materials or installation techniques...however I wouldn't dismiss it altogether.

For example, take a piece of wrapping cast (or any media for that matter) and print half the width of the media with solid black, while leaving the other half untouched/unprinted.

Take that vinyl off the printer and peel it off the liner and watch it shrivel up on the black printed side. Whether laminated or not, the ink definitely does affect the properties of the vinyl and the adhesive.

Has anyone ever held differently? Of course the ink affects the media. But whatever effects there might be, some are not much and some are incredibly reactive, are relatively short-lived and do not continue off into time immemorial. Unlike the mythical 'out gassing'.

printndisplay

Searching HP Latex T-shirt transfer material for our own T-shirt and found this. Hope I am not re-post.

See check link below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js_lknIhR6Y

Is it possible to print and make heat transfer with HP 310 latex printer, i need to buy a machine and there is a exhibition in Melbourne starting tomorrow, i have offer from mimaki ecosolvent CJV30-130, HP latex 310 and Roland VS 300í & SP 540i, Mutoh VJ1324 with cutter. Literally all in same price range with HP claims their machine more versatile.

I am confused and my main area of work is t-Shirts printing and Canvas Printing. Is it possible to print and make durable t shirts from latex machine.

Can anyone please advise, your advise will me highly appreciated