• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I hate GoDaddy

Ghost Prophet

As a former web designer and hosting reseller, I also hate GoDaddy.

They are still a pretty good registrar, and better than most. However their hosting services are aweful. You get what you pay for.

I highly recommend Ace-Host. I've been using them for about 11 years and haven't had any serious problems to note. Plus their ticket response time is great and you always get an intelligent person on the other end. Can't say the same for godaddy staff...

Bigdawg

Just Me
I have 15-20 domains on Godaddy and have only called with some issues a few times.

Each time I had someone on the phone with in a few minutes that was State Side and took care of the issues quickly.

Same here - I have 12 domains and another 10 or so I handle. They were hosted elsewhere for years and then the hosting company was sold (Hosting Solutions) and there was NO support whatsoever. We moved them all to Godaddy and really expected to have problems. It's been 3 or 4 years now and I've seen a marked improvement in their hosting since the first domain I moved.

Locals Find!

My issue isn't with their hosting. That works great for what little I do. Good uptimes easy to use etc..

My issue was with them telling me I couldn't sell my domain. Which has now been resolved. The customer service rep was confused or lying apparently. On a second phone call to Wild West (GoDaddy / Domains Priced Right) I was told how to go about transferring my domain once its sold.

I will be posting a classified ad on here soon with instructions on putting in an offer for the domain for those interested.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Same as a few others.... learned years ago to keep your registrar and your hosting providers separate. Used to use tocows as my registrar years ago. Eventually switched all domains over to Godaddy as our registrar. Been very happy with them myself over the past 4 years or so. For us all hosting is through Site5 for about 3 years now and have been very happy with them as well.

Sideshow

spend 300 bucks on a cheap computer and host your own server. If you have at least 2-3Mb upload, you can handle the traffic. I ran 2 forums with 6k members on mine with only 3Mb upload 2 yrs ago, I have 35Mb upload now... but still cheaper to host yourself.

Locals Find!

spend 300 bucks on a cheap computer and host your own server. If you have at least 2-3Mb upload, you can handle the traffic. I ran 2 forums with 6k members on mine with only 3Mb upload 2 yrs ago, I have 35Mb upload now... but still cheaper to host yourself.

I tried to do that a while back. Comcast in our area refuses to give me upload bandwith they restrict me to 1.5 Mb.

I can get all the download bandwidth I could ever want from them at a decent price but, I can't get them to wrap their heads around me just wanting upload bandwidth and not download bandwidth.

signswi

Terrible idea. That's 30 years of $10/year hosting and you'll get a lot better performance even from such a low-rate host. Not to mention you won't have to service it yourself.

Sideshow

I tried to do that a while back. Comcast in our area refuses to give me upload bandwith they restrict me to 1.5 Mb.

I can get all the download bandwidth I could ever want from them at a decent price but, I can't get them to wrap their heads around me just wanting upload bandwidth and not download bandwidth.

You can host a LOT with that upload speed jsut fine. Like I said I hosted FORUMS that average 120-250+ members/guests at any given moment on that speed.

Swithch to Fios ( if you can )

I have now 35/35 internet, with my TV / Phone, 4 HD boxes, and multi DVR plus tier 2 TV...with tax....110.17 a month

Sideshow

Right now my server computer is hostin 40+ sites, and I have a LIVE stream blog on it with on demand, and this is the current test of whats available

Sideshow

Terrible idea. That's 30 years of $10/year hosting and you'll get a lot better performance even from such a low-rate host. Not to mention you won't have to service it yourself.

Really, so the$ 200+ I bring in monthly hosting OTHER people's sites dont pay for it, damn I must not know what Im doing.

Its a terrible Idea if you have no clue what your doing, I have not had to service my own computer YET, and you dont need a powerhouse...perhaps you should study up on the subject before you knock it

Techman

You can do the same with a commercial host for less ... And never have to do any maintenance or upgrades to the server software. Or perform a backup, or maintain the email server. or the ftp server. Or block spam bots or run a spam filter.

Sideshow

You can do the same with a commercial host for less ...

really? Bull... I challenge you to find ANY shared plan, or reseller plan or ANYTHING "cheap" that allows LIVE STREAMING of video and audio, without a limit on bandwidth, that costs less.

Not going to happen. the minute you want to host a site with any go daddy, yahoo, whatever.. where you will be streaming video/audio live, your gonna shell out 100+ a month WITH a cap on bandwidth.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Regardless I think the overwhelming majority in this business are just that - in "this" business, not the webhosting business. I also cannot think of much of any reason most any sign shop would need or want to stream live HD video and audio. I see your point and argument for what you do but in the context of Signs101 and 99.9% of members here it is not really relevant and to be honest most would have to do quite a bit of studying and work just to get internal hosting up and running on a public IP. Not that most of us have the time to mess with that anyways.

I know our internet here - particularly during the stormy season might go down once a week for an hour or more. That is once a week that my customers or potential customers might have an email to us bounce or our website would to them appear as though it does not even exist. My paid hosting guarantees 99.9% uptime and over the past few years has met that. For the overwhlming majority of us here - it's just easier.

Sideshow

its called expanding options. I made a suggestion and one that people can use to generate more income.
Just because you dont have the effort or skill or brains to try it, doesnt mean you should slam my suggestion.

Its only easier ( pay someone else ) because you choose not to explore past your bubble, and not explore new waters

Excuse me for offering a suggestion that not only solves the isseue, but opens up EASY ways to generate money.

You act like what I said requires so much time and effort to make it "hard" or whatnot. Because you THINK you know what your talking about, since you never did it, you DONT. Its not, I invested less then 20 hours total in 3 damn years running my own server, and generated over 10K doing so. PLUS it gives another revenue stream and service to offer. And I have no formal training other then dummie guides that got me through it

I never came in slamming anyones suggestion, but I see the ignorance slam mine. Sad.