• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I just won a bid and need advice! HELP :)

Mosh

He's gonna have to pay SOMEONE who has a bucket truck. Which means he's gonna have a higher labor rate. Around here, 2 men and a bucket runs anywhere from $100-$150/hr.

the customer is taking care of the install.....

$1300 in materials is what I hope he meant...That can't be the selling price, even The Mosh is not that cheap. Did he price polycrab and trans 48" vinyl before he quoted this?

appstro

Ah OK
As I said I AM NOT INSTALLING THIS :)

I am designing, manufacturing and delivering to the door. Thats it.

OK so if you were going to do the design and buy the polycarbonate and apply the vinyl and then drop it off. Lets see YOUR prices.

I need to learn obviously, so lets have it. What should I charge for this? I can always tell them to find someone else. No contracts have been signed and no agreements made yet.

There is a local sign shop in my area that I will call. They are acquainted with me as I have used their services before. I will see what they charge if I drop off the polycarbonate and pick the signs up when done.

So lemme have it. What am I missing here?

TheSnowman

Woh, I'm with everyone else...I'd have been about that in just vinyl. You may need to figure out how to wiggle out of this one.

Mosh

$700-$1,000 per sign, depending on the design, not seen the design so... but in that ballpark.

If it was white sign with just one color vinyl logo then $450-$700 depending on the detail of the vinyl.

Mosh

They are acquainted with me as I have used their services before.

I have several of these customers..I cringe when they walk in...always want a cheap price and think they should be put ahead of my other customers....the main reason I don't sub-contract anymore. PITA

SIGNTIME

I have several of these customers..I cringe when they walk in...always want a cheap price and think they should be put ahead of my other customers....the main reason I don't sub-contract anymore. PITA

bingo... id be starting at 2000 plus design

Billct2

104 s/f of polycarbonate with translucent graphics $1300.00, that's $12.50s/f
So, Appstro, you had to go to the site to quote it. How long did that take? An hour? more?
And from the sounds of it you'll have to go back again (with a ladder) to get exact measurements of the face (you really need to open it up to do this) . How long will that take? 2 hours?
Then you have to set up the files, no matter who does the job. another hour ( by the time they get you the correct format)?
Research the materials, who you'll sub it to(if you do), get pricing, get the files to them etc...another hour?
So 4 hours and you haven't actually done any signwork yet.
Next how much is that 104 s/f of polycarb going to cost you? Remember you will be buying oversize sheets, probably 52" wide off a roll, so you'll be paying for the scrap.
How long to cut the sheets down to size? Cutting polycarb is so much fun.
How much is 104 s/f of translucent going to cost?
And if you do sub it, how much will they charge for the vinyl and application?
How long to drop off at the sub, pick up and then deliver?
Oh, and by the way, if you are going to give a 3 year warranty I would definately be using cut trans vinyl, not printed, especially with the amount of sun you get.

Mosh

and after all that how are you going to haul them to the customer on your skateboard?

CanuckSigns

Sweet baby Jesus.

Good luck with that....seriously. I feel bad that you're so excited about this when you're about to lose your shirt. If I was you I would tell them (now) you made a mistake and you can't do the job. They're going to be pissed - especially when they go to the next (real) sign shop that knows what they're doing and gets a real price to get the job properly - but you won't be losing any money.

Hope everything works out on this....I really do.

I'm with Pat on this, based on my rough calculations, using 3/16" white polycarb, and 48" translucent vinyl, your costs for materials is going to be higher than your selling price, if you are lucky you will walk away only loosing around $1000 by doing this job.

You have 2 options:

1- call the customer and explain that you made a mistake and need to back out of the job, you will look like an idiot and will never hear from this client again.

2- do the job, keep the client happy, loose your shirt in the process.

appstro

OK here's my pricing
Polycarbonate cut buy my supplier, I just cut the corners round with a jig saw $391.40
Vinyl I over estimated (I think) at $400.00
Design and apply graphics $500.00

Now I of course figured that I would be doing the sign making at this price. I realize that subbed work will be more, but then there the vinyl amount will be added to the subbing. I didnt charge for the estimate because I was literally "in the neighborhood". I wont climb the ladder at all. I will have them do it.

So would $1700. - $1800.00 be a more accurate price??

Pricing is always difficult for me, because the competition around here is insane and I have no other resource to turn to besides you guys. There are alot of undocumented types doing vinyl. You should see the pricing on screen printing. I wont even bother with it.

appstro

The poly is a quote from my supplier so that is a solid price and yes its 3/16. He did the math so that the cuts will be optimal.

My profit is the labor I guess...

I did an initial measurement on the monument sign at 7 x4 foot since I could easily reach that. The signs on the building I estimated and asked the customer to give me the figures they had from other estimates.

One estimate was $2300.00 for the ENTIRE job.

Circleville Signs

First things first...

1. Polycarb is not the right material for this job. You should be using lexan. Polycarb is super brittle. There's a decent chance it may break being hoisted up to the 25' high signs.

2. Please share your polycarb supplier with all of us.

3. My selling price for polycarb, NOT COUNTING DESIGN WORK, is $20/sf. $22.50/sf for Lexan.

If you aren't installing the job at all, just designing, making the signs, and delivering them to their door, I would be at roughly $2400.00 + my design time + the travel/quote time.

So, all in all, around $3k in all likelihood.