• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I just won a bid and need advice! HELP :)

appstro

OK so I went out last Wednesday and did an estimate for a hotel. There are 3 signs. One is 7 feet wide and 4 feet tall and 2 sided. The other 2 are on the opposite sides of the building about 25 feet up.

Here is my questions:

The 7x4 foot sign in front is all plotted vinyl. I was shocked that anyone would even be able to apply a full coverage sheet of vinyl on a piece of polycarbonate that big. The client wants to do a new design and has a few ideas in mind. My question is where do I get a 4 foot wide piece of vinyl plotted and how do I put it on a sheet that big? My current Graphtec plotter is only 24 inches wide. My Versacamm can probably do 28 inches max...I am also wondering if I can just have someone flat bed print the sign somewhere. Is that even possible? Will it last?

I have never done a sign this tall in one piece. Since its going to be backlit in a light box, there can be no seams. I have overlapped other vinyl jobs but this one wont work like that.

The current sign has one big piece of green vinyl and the lettering is negative cut out of it with various other parts cut through for the hotels look and logo.

What are my options? Anyone ever do a job like this? I have to deliver the signs by 2/22! :) Thanks in advance for your advice and tips! :):thankyou:

jasonx

Our Graphtecs cut upto 1.6m wide. A lot of vinyl comes in 4' rolls.

Apply through your laminator after its app taped.

CP Signs

Same here. Most places have 48" vinyl. Cut it on my graphtec apply it on with my laminator and, it's done. If, you don't have the proper equipment sub it out. I am also curious how you came up with a, price without knowing your actual cost.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
If you even quote or open an electrical sign in Texas, even for a face change, you're required to have a Master Sign Electricians license or have an Apprentince or Journeyman's license and have a Master Sign Electrician with you on-site. California is probably the strictest state in the country and I assume would have similar laws. Just a heads-up that you may want to look into the licensing end of things before proceeding. It's a quick way to incur a hefty fine.

Do you need a permit? Even for a face change, some municipalities require a permit. Or the sign may be grandfathered and you may not even be allowed to make any changes.

A 4' x 7' sign is small. There are huge sign faces out there that have vinyl text/background/etc. I'd never discourage someone from learning and trying new things, but it just sounds like you're in a bit over your head.

MrSalumi

appstro.. It sounds like you are in over your head a little bit.. Maybe better to sub it out and make a little less on the job.. I mean, other than manufacturing the signs (which it sounds like you may have trouble with alone) how do you plan on installing them. How do you know that you'll be doing it correctly? What did you quote them out of curiosity?

phototec

OK so I went out last Wednesday and did an estimate for a hotel. There are 3 signs. One is 7 feet wide and 4 feet tall and 2 sided. The other 2 are on the opposite sides of the building about 25 feet up.

sounds like you're in a bit over your head.

Yea, about 20 feet over his head!

I can't believe you can price a job, bid a job, and don't know how you are going to produce the job!

You need more than help, you may need a miracle!

What is your plan for installing the two signs at 25 feet?

Do you have the proper and safe equipment to do such a task?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp7dj-itEEU

San Diego Municipal Code
Division 12: Sign Regulations

§142.1206 Violations of Sign Regulations

(a) It is unlawful to do the following:
(1) Place, post, paint or secure any sign, pennant, flag, banner, balloon, or similar attention-seeking device on public property or within the public right-of-way unless otherwise provided in the Municipal Code or specific state statute;
(2) Place any lettering, card, poster, or notice of any kind on any curb, sidewalk, street, pole, post, utility box, hydrant, bridge, tree, building, or other surface that is located on public property or in the public right-of-way unless otherwise provided in the Municipal Code or
specific state statute;
(3) Display any sign without the required Sign Permit Sticker; or
(4) Erect any sign on any premises contrary to the provisions of this division.
(b) Violations of any provisions of this division shall be subject to the
enforcement provisions of Chapter 12, Article 1. Violations of this division
shall be treated as strict liability offenses regardless of intent.

(Amended 6-12-2001 by O-18948 N.S.; effective 12-12-2001.)

http://docs.sandiego.gov/municode/MuniCodeChapter14/Ch14Art02Division12.pdf

Good Luck on this project.

DizzyMarkus

I am now beginning to understand why everyone goes bonkers around here :0) It took almost a full year but yeah hehe

As with everyone else, you must start somewhere and I credit the brass ones to take something like this on. However please remember the saftey of others while your trying to hang these things up. Glue em, stick em, screw em --- whatever just make sure they wont "come flying off"

The biggest part I guess I would like to know---- Is how did you come up with pricing when you are not sure where to even get the print or that you could, and how to apply it. Do yourself a favor and do some research before asking away -- do some of your own legwork and research it. Its all available here in the forum. Then is you still need questions, try to ask in a manner that doesnt make you sound like you just grabbed the cutter off Ebay lastweek.

With that:

www.signs365.com

Good luck ,
Markus

visual800

hope you got enough for it! second seams that high wont show you can cut this on your plotter I wouldnt worry about that. as far as opening a can and having an electrical contractors license?...do it on the weekend and you won't (hopefully) get busted.

we need alot more detail on this sign than what your offering sir

rjssigns

I bid jobs like that then turn them over to a very large shop I work with. I let them deal with getting permits, crane licensing, inspections, having certified help etc... It may be a strange relationship for some, but it works.

They can install anything, anywhere up to 140' crane reach.

appstro

First of all THANK YOU SO MUCH for your replies! Let me clear things up a little.
1. I am not installing the signs. I dont have a contractors lic and I am not getting one any time soon apparently. I am delivering the signs and the client will be installing them or hiring an installer. :)

2. I AM looking to sub out the work. I am wondering what my options are. I am in San Diego. Anyone??

3. I AM in over my head and I have learned that sometimes its the only way for me to get any new jobs. I will learn and grow and make more money and more signs. :)

So, with that all cleared up. Looks like I can do the whole job in vinyl. I will just sub it out to a local guy with a wide plotter and laminator. Anyone???

As far as price goes...Dont hate me...or maybe you will say I did OK? I quoted $1300.00 for design and manufacture of:

1 - 8 x 3 foot sheet
1 - 8 x 3 foot sheet
1 - 7 x 4 foot sheet
1 - 7 x 4 foot sheet

I added up all the materials and my time and figured this was a fair price considering everything. I basically estimated $300.00 for the smaller and $350.00 for the bigger ones. I gave a 3 year warranty and guaranteed fit. I wasnt really planning on subbing out the work at first but since I dont have a laminator it looks that way for sure now. Whats my best option here for this??? Thanks again, you guys always have great info and I dont take anything personally so please let me know your thoughts.

Billct2

?!~You are in a a heap of trouble. Those numbers aren't enough for non-illuminated signs much less illuminated ones, especially with a 3 year warranty (and what's that about?).

Circleville Signs

What Bill said. You aren't going to find a shop anywhere that will do this job, even wholesale, for less than $2800-3000.

You're gonna have AT LEAST $800 in labor/bucket rental. Possibly more in your market.

When the hotel saw your bid they probably jumped for joy - because every other bid they got was 4x more.

James Chrimes

That is where I would be if it were just the vinyl all by itself. Substrait and subcontractor fees seperate. Hope you find a way to get this done without loosing your shirt.

Circleville Signs

He's gonna have to pay SOMEONE who has a bucket truck. Which means he's gonna have a higher labor rate. Around here, 2 men and a bucket runs anywhere from $100-$150/hr.