• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need major help!!!!!!!

Moon604

I race gokarts and want to start doing vinyl lettering on them as a side job to make some extra racing money. The guys that do this and really make it, (make them bling). I dont have a lot of money to get started, about $ 1000. I will need to buy a cutter, software and enough vinyl to get started. I have tossed around the idea of buying a cutter off of ebay and the flexi starter program. I will also need a design program like flexi design to be able to do all them thing i want to do. I really need help to insure i buy what i need and not waste my money on something i dont. Please Help

lil Details

for what you are describing you could look at the Vinyl Express Endura Cut from Signwarehouse Retails at like $699. That is with Lxi Apprentice which will do the lettering you are looking for well enough. You can get some starter packages that will have some different vinyls and tools in them.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Hmmm... a thousand bucks huh? My advice is to find a local guy that has a cutter, software and enough vinyl to get started and hire him to do it for ya'...

just my first thoughts on it...

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I don't think you will be able to get started for $1,000 if you need everything.

Beyond just the cutter, software, and some starter supplies. You also need to have a place to handle all the final and prep it for your installation or to your customer. You'll need at least a 4x8ft table IMHO. I'm working on a smaller one right now with our 24" cutter and it's crowded.

You would be better off using that $1k into business setup and outsourcing your design and vinyl work to other people.

S

SignTech

wow ......... no wonder reputable sign people are getting their butts kicked in this industry ......

jscarl

Wally world. Get a krik it. Call them for service and supplies too. Great prices on vinull too. Ps. welcome

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Possibly if you stopped racing for three years, you'd save up enough money to buy a small turnkey set up and you could switch careers.

lil Details

4 x 8 table was nothing to construct....I had $36 in the wood with 2x4 legs and framing and a 5/8" plywood sheet for the top. Add the self healing cutting mat at $100....simple and not outrageous in price either...

Bigdawg

Just Me
Moon - I really am sorry for my smart aleck reply. But I obviously couldn't help myself.

Seriously - what skills - besides just WANTING to - do you have that would make you think you can just jump in and start making decals? What programs do you already use? What do you know about the business at all except that you want to save a few bucks... and maybe make a few bucks?

I realize that I was harsh in my reply... as others have been too... it's that we see this mindset that you don't have to know anything about cutting vinyl in order to just jump right in and rake in the money. So I guess you could buy ya' a cheap cutter and go from there - but really - find someone to outsource until you learn what you are doing.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
im still an avid believer that before you just jump into this trade, you need to have actual experience and have worked at a sign shop....i personally, don't feel that even a graphic design degree is enough....nothing is better than experience....you LEARN what's right and wrong from someone who's learned it before you.....

Toplinepro

Use a local guy and have him sell it to you at a whole sale price then mark it up and charge for the install. thats where the money is. Or just find a contract printer that will work with you on getting started. need help finding someone e mail me.

bella

How strange to read all the help you are giving this guy, are you seriously suggesting that you have all served your apprentice ship. I remember when all the software and cutters come on the market and everyone was a sign maker, a professional bs'er, come on give people a break, they come on a site like this for help so why not give help and be more positive!:thankyou:

Last edited by a moderator:

J Hill Designs

I know I've 'served my apprenticeship' more than twice over...

"I drive go carts and want to make stickers for them -- help me out" just don't sit right here...