• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need major help!!!!!!!

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
I started out with a #10 and #18 quill and a pint of 1Shot and it was way less than a thousand dollars....Then again that was over 2 decades ago so prices have probably gone up some. Don't sweat the snipes that you get from other sign people, even old timers like myself can get a little anxious in an economy like this.

bella

I appreciate what you are saying but how about me, I work with large format printing mainly photography but i would like to learn as much as possible as I can regarding sign-making and that's why I joined the form. My view is this I would help and advice anyone I can and why not that's what we do, is it not? :clapping::clapping::clapping:

petepaz

stay up real late and there is a paid advertisement selling a work at home plotter for crafts it's like $200 that's all you man i think there was even a post when it first came out
you might even be able to get an adapter and plug it into your cigarette light and make the decals right at the track

:Welcome:

bella

stay up real late and there is a paid advertisement selling a work at home plotter for crafts it's like $200 that's all you man i think there was even a post when it first came out
you might even be able to get an adapter and plug it into your cigarette light and make the decals right at the track

well i can see your a professional my boy:ROFLMAO:

petepaz

just trying to help out a newbie

but it was funny and there really is a thread on that machine some where on here
someone posted a clip or the ad about it

bella

And you don't see the difference between you and this guy?? You are already in the industry and would like to learn more. Great!
He races go-carts and wants to make some cash 'cause other people make paper doing it and you MUST be able to drop a quick g note and start makin' stickers right?? How hard could it be??
GEEEEEEEZ!
I need a :bushmill:
Pat, I do see it, my point is in the sort time I have been on this form there are numerous members who don't seem to take things seriously and that annoys me, on the other side there are tons of people on the form who enjoy helping others out with problems. One of the most used words on this form and others is can someone help me. Who's to say that this guy is not genuine, after all I ride horses does that make me not a genuine person Pat?

Bradster941

just trying to help out a newbie

but it was funny and there really is a thread on that machine some where on here
someone posted a clip or the ad about it

Naw, your just being a Putz petepaz...

To the OP. Consider this.

spend a couple hundred bucks on Coral Draw. Design killer full color graphics, and have a Merchant Member here print them for you.

The end result for the carts will be a fantastic looking full color wrap
as opposed to solid color cut vinyl letters and graphics and you will
make more money than you would otherwise.

ps petepaz... do you ever read what you type before posting?
You seem like a really ignorant person after
reading all your other post...

Just saying. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Joe Diaz

I have been on this form there are numerous members who don't seem to take things seriously and that annoys me,

It is hard to give a serious answer to a question like: "I have $1000, and I want to buy all the equipment needed to do what you do for a living.... for my hobby"

Underneath the sarcasm is the honest to God real answer to the OP's question. If anyone is looking for serious advice, it's this: It can't be done. So don't waste your time or $1000. You need way more than $1000 to do what we do. Whether or not the OP knows it or not, it is insulting to us to think that you can. And even more insulting to think that people that do this for a living, that do this to put food on the table, well help someone who wants to do this as a hobby and make a few extra dollars on the side.

Now, that being said, Fred has made it a point to ask us to try extra hard to be helpful and supportive to new members on this forum, to not prejudge them and trust in the fact that him and Stacy work their tails off to screen out non-professionals. SO here it is. If you seriously want to get into this industry, go work for an exisitng shop first, so you can see first hand what this industry is about (while you get paid:thumb:), or be willing to shell out much more than $1000 to start your own business. You will waste more than $1000 just trying to figure out how to get your equipment to work for you.

bella

Bella,
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy helping people when I can. And I don't doubt the fact that this guy is genuine. It's the volume of "get rich quick" threads started here that seems to piss everyone off.
As for you not being a genuine person, I didn't say that and I actually believe that to be the complete opposite. You're obviously a kind person for sticking up for this guy, and I respect that. However you're missing the point. You riding horses has absolutely nothing to do with this. If you were to go on a leather forum and as your first post say:
" I ride horses professionally, but I see lots of people making/designing their own saddles. How can I start doing this for $100...? Help!" Now I'm no horse-riding expert but I would imagine they would welcome you with the same reaction. (Maybe not....who knows)

Pat
Yes you are right Pat, I tend to stick up for a person who I think who's being picked on, maybe because when I joined the form I asked a genuine question and got slapped down for it. As regards to those who think this industry can produce a quick fortune in this climate, please advice me on what I'm doing wrong. This is a great form with tons of knowledgeable people such as yourself Pat. All I can say is here's to friendship long lasting!:cool1: Ps. Flame, I do not drink ha haaa????????????????:thankyou:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
bella....

Are you trying to say you don't understand what I posted ?? : :Oops:

Or are you having trouble following the storyline ?? :rolleyes:

:brittain:

Pat Whatley

Moon, the reason you're getting the reaction you're getting is that almost daily someone comes in looking for information and asks the same question. It's not a personal attack, believe me, it's just a reaction to the "attacks" on the industry. The people here have years...or even decades invested in learning this business, learning about the equipment, processes, and methods and how to combine those to effectively do a job. This information came at a price in countless hours spent reading, thousands of dollars in destroyed material, and personal income wasted on machinery that just didn't deliver.

When someone new comes in without even spending the time to do a simple search for an answer, or doing enough research to gain enough knowledge to be able to ask an intelligent question it offends most people here.

Since July 1st a search for "PLOTTER" shows all of these topics:
New vinyl sticker cutter
Plotter purchase
Vinyl cutter recommendations
Vinyl Express plotter?
Anyone us a sub $1000 plotter
Cutter help
Help the Noobie

...and that's just this month.

Read through the posts, you'll see a common theme among the advice (wade through the bashing). Come back with a little research, a better explanation of what you're trying to do and you won't believe the help you'll be offered. People around here will fall all over themselves to help somebody who appears to be willing to help themselves.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Moon, the reason you're getting the reaction you're getting is that almost daily someone comes in looking for information and asks the same question. It's not a personal attack, believe me, it's just a reaction to the "attacks" on the industry. The people here have years...or even decades invested in learning this business, learning about the equipment, processes, and methods and how to combine those to effectively do a job. This information came at a price in countless hours spent reading, thousands of dollars in destroyed material, and personal income wasted on machinery that just didn't deliver.

When someone new comes in without even spending the time to do a simple search for an answer, or doing enough research to gain enough knowledge to be able to ask an intelligent question it offends most people here.

Since July 1st a search for "PLOTTER" shows all of these topics:
New vinyl sticker cutter
Plotter purchase
Vinyl cutter recommendations
Vinyl Express plotter?
Anyone us a sub $1000 plotter
Cutter help
Help the Noobie

...and that's just this month.

Read through the posts, you'll see a common theme among the advice (wade through the bashing). Come back with a little research, a better explanation of what you're trying to do and you won't believe the help you'll be offered. People around here will fall all over themselves to help somebody who appears to be willing to help themselves.

Very well put, Pat.:thumb:

I suggest we put this up somewhere so that all of the newbies can read over this before catching themselves on fire. :flamey:

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
spend a couple hundred bucks on Coral Draw. Design killer full color graphics, and have a Merchant Member here print them for you.

that's the problem.....this guy doesn't seem to have ANY experience....so how is he going to make "killer full color graphics"???

that's the reason we get pi$$ed off when people come in here and wants us to show them how to do everything....

i'm here to help out my fellow sign makers as much as i can...but i'm not going to TEACH someone how to design....post a design and i'll give my opinion of it....don't come on here and ask us how to setup shop in our back yard cause you think its and easy way to make some $$$$

that's where the problem lies....

P

ProWraps™

why dont you just go to your local sign shop and ask them to "sponsor" you for free. and maybe, just maybe, they can put their logo on your championship kart and get a ton of business for helping you for free.

Moon604

Here we go..

This is what I know, I have been doing research for about 4 months. I have already built a 4x8 table with a glass top that is back lit. I know that GraphTec and Roland are very good (Plotters) and that Flexsign is one of the best programs in the business. I can get materials from Fellars or Tube Lite. As far as setting up my equipment and messing up some vinyl, I'm sure you all made a few mistakes and still DO.. I have been messing around with Inkscape and other software that I could find a trial for. I have already came up with some pretty cool stuff. I shouldn't have put the whole $ 1000 thing in there because I do know it will cost more than that to get started. I will have more than that in vinyl. As for another shop doing my stuff, I have had local shops do my stuff and charge $ 300 or more for one body kit. In the last few years more guys from the karting world are starting to cut vinyl, with low budget plotters and maybe a $ 1000 program. They charge around $ 120 per body and spend about 5 hours total on them, by the time they design, cut, weed, and install. I love the sport and just want to do something in the karting industry. I have run the numbers and its not for the MONEY I can tell you that. If you have any helpful info please PM me. Thanks,

Pat Whatley

FlexiSign is going to be your biggest killer in your plan. The FlexiStarter program is going to be too lacking in what you'll need to do anything really creative. The base Flexisign is around $1700 by itself. Don't get me wrong, it's an outstanding program and we run it all day long, but it's priced out of your budget.

I'd personally start with Corel Draw ($150 on Ebay). Look for a good, used, Roland, Summa, or Graphtec plotter. I doubt you're going to find one but they do pop up every now and then. Look for a 24" plotter, all vinyl is available in that size and it's pretty standard. Cheap plotters found on ebay seem to be a hit or miss proposition. Some people buy them and they are total garbage. Others however seem to get one that's rock solid. Considering the close tolerances on tracking and blade pressure it's easy to figure why.

For vinyl I'd suggest Fellers and SignWarehouse just based on their stock of specialty vinyls. I'm assuming go-kart graphics would be a short term thing so cheap vinyls will work but stay away from Shine Rite. The stuff cuts nicely and goes down okay but is a pain to remove and leaves ALL it's glue behind. I'd use Oracal 651.