• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need major help!!!!!!!

skyhigh

I appreciate what you are saying but how about me, I work with large format printing mainly photography but i would like to learn as much as possible as I can regarding sign-making and that's why I joined the form. My view is this I would help and advice anyone I can and why not that's what we do, is it not? :clapping::clapping::clapping:

I honestly don't have a problem with the fact that, since you allready have a large format printer (for a totally unrelated business), and that you are interested in putting it to use to build your business.

I appreciate that you want to learn all that you can about this industry....I'm assuming that includes good designing skills & fair market pricing. On the other hand (to answer your question), if you tell me your a hobbiest, then NO....don't ever expect any help from me. If you're a "working" sign shop, then I will help in any way possible.... just don't ask me for money without some form of collateral :ROFLMAO:

That is only my personal opinion, not the views of Signs101.

skyhigh

So use them???

If you do get up and running, it makes me wonder if you will under bid them to get your share of the market??

Go Cart kits for $95, and you will take over the market.
Ohhhh, and don't worry so much about killer designs to start.....you'll find alot of work from price shoppers.

Sarcastic post ^ for anyone that didn't get it.

Pat Whatley

I grew up hearing stories of those "good old days" Yep, hand painters ruled the world and charged $987.17 an hour for lettering windows. Then some snapper would come through town, knock out all the repaints, quick window splashes, and a few cheap truck lettering jobs then disappear until the next year.

Shops raised hell about the snappers doing inferior work and killing the industry then. I remember the day I listened to the owners of the two biggest shops in town raise hell about the FOUR travelling snappers who were in town at the same time and taking all the repaint work. I always wondered why the shop owners hadn't gotten out there and gotten the repaint work themselves. Now that I own this place I think I know the answer...because they were too busy chasing better work.

There have always been lowball customers, there have always been suppliers to them. If they can't find somebody to do it cheap they just don't get it done. Sure Moon may only get $125 for lettering a cart, you can say he should get $500. The problem is that most of the cart racers will letter them with mailbox letters from Home Depot before they pay you what you want so you don't have any point in saying lowballers are stealing your go-cart lettering work. The rare few who will sure aren't going to shop at the cheap sticker guy to buy from. The thousands of sticker cutters out there aren't killing the business, they're just the modern day snappers. Most of them do inferior work for people that want something for next to nothing. they aren't leaving money on the table most of the time...they're getting all that was available.

How much effort has anyone here put into cornering the go-cart lettering market in your town? Do you think bashing Moon or any other noobie is going to stop them from buying a plotter? Wouldn't you be better served teaching them to respect the industry and charge what they should?

bella

Lets all take a step back and analyse the technology we all have at our disposal and who is really at fault for the way things are going.
We have software company's advertising to the world if you buy our products you will find they are so easy to understand, you also have company's developing digital printers and cutters claiming to the layman how easy it all is to use. You cannot blame the public for this situation only the company's that have created this misunderstanding and that is why you have so many wannabes joining the form. Perhaps in the future when you read a thread like this one perhaps it would be best ignored.
Just a thought! :thankyou:

jjones1

Good Post Mr. Whatley

Newbie Forum New to the business or thinking about jumping in? Got some basic questions? Ask them here

Last edited:

Bigdawg

Just Me
I'm going to try to explain my sarcastic remarks a lil better...

I have no issue with someone wanting to get into the sign business - for the right reasons. To just save money because you think local guy charges too much is (in my book) not a good reason. I'm sorry.

It just amazes me that in this industry, outsiders think we are just a bunch of idiots that somehow stumble our way through each day... that what we do is SOOOOOOO easy even a caveman could do it. And yes, it is insulting.

So I'll just shut up now since I really don't have any better advice than I did on page 1... which was find a local shop and work with them... but that's not what ya' want to hear so all I can say is good luck. You'll need it.

bella

I'm going to try to explain my sarcastic remarks a lil better...

I have no issue with someone wanting to get into the sign business - for the right reasons. To just save money because you think local guy charges too much is (in my book) not a good reason. I'm sorry.

It just amazes me that in this industry, outsiders think we are just a bunch of idiots that somehow stumble our way through each day... that what we do is SOOOOOOO easy even a caveman could do it. And yes, it is insulting.

So I'll just shut up now since I really don't have any better advice than I did on page 1... which was find a local shop and work with them... but that's not what ya' want to hear so all I can say is good luck. You'll need it.
Bigdawg please do not shut up, valued opinions such as yours are always welcomed, remember that! it's not only the sign making industry that has this problem you know, the photography industry is also suffering exactly the same as you guys are, example buying cheap printers, advertising their services on eBay and the like. What quality they produce is a another matter. So you people are just going to take it on the chin just like I am. Remember good guys will always be around doing what they do best, wannabes are two a penny! :thankyou:

onesmf

Your question is pretty broad and I don't think that you will receive the information you need due to that fact. My advice, go ahead and purchase one of those cheap cutters on E-bay. It appears as though you will not be doing a ton of cutting with it when compared to a full blown sign shop, so it will serve your purposes. As far as software goes, also go for something inexpensive. It doesn't appear as though you need all the bells and whistles associated with more expensive software. Keep in mind that most businesses fail due to lack of capitol. If your starting capitol is only $1,000, your operation will start out modestly. at best. Lastly, it is not as easy as it looks, but I guess you have to start somewhere. If you are no good, you will be out of business in no time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, I don’t know if I am bashing this guy, but I am a little tired of anyone TELLING or INSINUATING to me how I should act or talk to someone because of hurting someone else’s feelings. I don’t purposely try to hurt others, but when someone is asking for it…. I might get a little carried away.

In this thread I was quite in favor of Pat’s observations and trying to help others… provided they show true interest and not lousy ethics. However, when Moonie pointed certain things out…. it should probably send up red flags on various fronts as to what his real intentions are.

• Will I do battle with such a person ?? Of course.
  • Should this being the newbie forum stop me from answering honestly ?? Nope.
  • Does any of this help anyone else besides the OP ?? I hope so.
  • Must we answer everything with kids glove and be something other than ourselves ?? Nope.

No, if someone comes here looking for answers….. like ‘em or not…. the results are the same… just some to the point much quicker.

Like Pat said… there were those that came through town and did things cheaper and for the most part…. it was a known fact that they had talent and were making a quick buck. Some of them would even take up residency if they sensed a real need for a good sign painter in town. I don’t remember really being upset with them, because they tended to do the stuff no one else wanted…. at first. There’s a place for everyone, but not someone that is unknowingly or purposely trying to screw up the balance of business. Should Moonie take a different stance about his entering this field, I’m sure he’ll find more agreeable answers and maybe make friends, but trying to tell me he’s never gonna do a sign in his town or do a set truck doors is just too much for this ol’ guy to believe.

I also believe in teaching someone with the same response as he reaches out with. He shows no respect and announces proudly his lack to make a profit or do good work…. equals to me… I don’t need to help whatsoever…. BUT…. that’s him I’m not trying to help. There are still 100’s if not 1,000’s of people reading this thread and I don’t want every reader in the world thinking THEY are gonna get help with a poor lackadaisical view of our industry. I invite everyone and their uncle to try this industry and try it with the enthusiasm and good qualities most of us already share. I do not like taking time to help someone who is playing us for a fool and continues to do so once that is pointed out. I don’t particularly like feeding a pinhead.

Lastly… as to the comments of technology and big business doing this to you , me or anyone else….. get a grip. That technology is what has 90% of sign shops in business today. I wouldn’t go there if I were you. Remember this, whatever we use…. brushes, airbrushes, electricity, printers, plotters, paint, vinyl, computers, servers, scanners, eye to hand coordination, pencils…… you’re only as good as the tool you master, so learn them and learn them well and you’ll do good in ANY business. No need to knock what has us here today. We’re all where we want to be or we can make the decision to sell tanning beds or coffee at Starbucks.

Moon604

Update

I have bought a R Series plotter from Signwarehouse and a good bit of vinyl to get started with. All the bling,bling stuff is very expensive. It comes with a pretty basic software so I may get Corel or one of the other design programs. I will post designs and finished products for anyone that would like to see them. I plan on working long hard hours to produce some very cool looking stuff. Already got a few people waiting for me to get started. Work all day and all night sounds like fun right. Any of you that raced or do race will understand that sleep comes last on the list anyway...

onesmf

I don't race go-carts, but I had to ask. You are losing sleep racing them? Go-carts? Seriously? Please enlighten me because the picture I have in my head is of me and my friend removing the engine from Dad's lawnmower, throwing it on a go-cart frame and racing down the street. I guess the "go-cart" moniker is throwing me. Must be more popular than I realize. I am interested in your reply. Thanks.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
Good luck Moon604. Never forget, this is still America and you can do whatever you set your mind to do.

lil Details

go-carts that they are racing are much more than a lawnmower engine. They are very wicked and can really run around an oval track like you would not believe. It is not a childs sport by any means.

Edserv

Getting Started

I bought a cutter 18 months ago and started from scratch, and am currently averaging $20,000 per month in sales (still working out of the house.) I started with a 24 inch cutter and wish I'd purchased a 36 or 48" cutter. I was able to get into a VJ1204. Yes, we're out of space. I converted a pool table into my work space and the business has pretty much taken over the house. Currently looking for a space!

Also, does anyone know if Fellers Wrap Training is any good now that Sergio is gone? We're thinking about attending the August deal.

Good luck with your cutter/business decision.

Moon604

Kart

Trying to add an attachment to the post of my kart.

Attachments

• At the grid.jpg
    At the grid.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 75

Joe Diaz

Looks like I got it. I will be doing this or better on all the karts I do.

That's not half bad. It's a lot better than the majority of the race cars I've seen out there. Did you do that? If so, you are already on the right track. We just need you to start charging accordingly :thumb::thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just wanna know where he got permission to use the logo ?? :banghead:

Last edited: