• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need major help!!!!!!!

Flame

How many of you guy have lettered a racing go kart. I bet its few and far between so i dont really see how I would be taking food off your table. If I came on here wanting to make signs that would be a different story. As far as what I charge, I can only charge as much as the next guy. I can do better work and spend more time on it but at the end of the day its Racing. You go out there bump and get tire rubs and it looks like crap. So Im not going to get paid anymore for the extra work.

Maybe we don't do racecars because there's no money?

It's still part of the graphics industry...

I'm into dirt bike graphics, we average about 1000 kits a year. The more price gougers with no experience come into my industry, the harder it becomes to get that #, and more and more UGLY graphic schemes people start requesting.

If you're going into business, do it right. If it's a hobby, don't do it for buddies. JMO... too many hobbiest butchering an industry.

all we're asking... is charge! :) Your designs look like they're on the right track, keep working on it, but atleast it fits the industry, not full of brown flames and diamond plate. :) lol.

iSign

I bought a cutter 18 months ago and started from scratch, and am currently averaging $20,000 per month in sales (still working out of the house.)

wow, you must be a pretty super dude... took me ten years to bring in those numbers, after building up to 3 people & $100K in equipment... & in a generally better economy than Big Island.
like wow... $1000 every day, from home... unfrikkinbelievable!
I'm on my way over :smile:

andy

I'm going to try to explain my sarcastic remarks a lil better...

I have no issue with someone wanting to get into the sign business - for the right reasons. To just save money because you think local guy charges too much is (in my book) not a good reason. I'm sorry.

It just amazes me that in this industry, outsiders think we are just a bunch of idiots that somehow stumble our way through each day... that what we do is SOOOOOOO easy even a caveman could do it. And yes, it is insulting.

So I'll just shut up now since I really don't have any better advice than I did on page 1... which was find a local shop and work with them... but that's not what ya' want to hear so all I can say is good luck. You'll need it.

+1

Funnily enough when a newbie gets to the stage where their entire financial well being relies on earning a decent living from the sign industry it's amazing how quickly they become very negative about the next wave of newbies "stealing food from their table".

As a newbie you are looking at this industry from the outside where the pickings look rich and the establishment appear expensive and scared of your "killer" new business.

After a while you will learn that charging a decent price is essential... unless you are the kind of sadist/ mental case who really enjoys slaving away for nothing.

Bella,

I know Bournemouth very well (lived in Westbourne for a long time). If you are looking to "get into" the B'mth market be prepared for a vicious dogfight- there are at least 60 companies already advertising in the local and wider area.

Could you also sharpen up a bit on your grammar and punctuation? I really HATE wannabe sign makers who cannot spell, use words in their correct context and have no idea with regard to punctuation.

Our American and Canadian cousins will have been laughing up their sleeves at your pi$$ poor use of English! It's OUR language so lets have some standards, please.

Thanks

Mikeifg

I think I'm going to start racing as a hobby. I have 1000.00 and I'll beat everyone out there. all those racer's who have put their time and money in the sport better watch out. It looks easy I mean anyone can do it.

mrmoto95

Starts with his cart, goes to buddys, then to other competitors. Then what " hey can you do my vehicle, trailer, etc." Then comes the next set of posts "what should I charge" to cut your throat. This kinda S%$# is why my equipment is for sale. I can't even pick up work anymore. Not even wholesale.

skyhigh

I bought a cutter 18 months ago and started from scratch, and am currently averaging $20,000 per month in sales (still working out of the house.) I started with a 24 inch cutter and wish I'd purchased a 36 or 48" cutter.

I started business with an xacto knife & a couple of foam brushes. I also worked out of my home (bedroom actually). At that time, I was only averaging 10k a month. Of course my wife worked swing shift, so I was unable to have customers at my work station (bedroom) 2 weeks out of the month.

Then I found ebay....a $299 cutter, the swap meet clipart package and a legit copy of flexi. I'm talking the newest version that didn't require a dongle key....thank gawd. And best of all......I found all you wonderful folks to help me, cause I really didn't know a darn thing.

Now that I know all there is to know (I've been at this for 3 months) I going to take all my experience and slash prices (I can because I'm still in my bedroom), and take all your business. I must admit, I feel slightly bad, considering all the help you've given me, but hey, your all a greedy, snobby bunch anyways.

Keep posting your files, I love to copy your stuff for my customers (this is easy). You should feel honored.

Edit: Ok sorry, I couldn't resist. At 20k a month, that works out to 1k a day in cut vinyl sales (m-f). I'm moving to Hawaii!!!! I can't even imagine what I could make, when I add my electrical & welding knowledge, along with my service trucks into the mix. Retirement in 6 months....wahhhhoooo.

bella

+1

Funnily enough when a newbie gets to the stage where their entire financial well being relies on earning a decent living from the sign industry it's amazing how quickly they become very negative about the next wave of newbies "stealing food from their table".

As a newbie you are looking at this industry from the outside where the pickings look rich and the establishment appear expensive and scared of your "killer" new business.

After a while you will learn that charging a decent price is essential... unless you are the kind of sadist/ mental case who really enjoys slaving away for nothing.

Bella,

I know Bournemouth very well (lived in Westbourne for a long time). If you are looking to "get into" the B'mth market be prepared for a vicious dogfight- there are at least 60 companies already advertising in the local and wider area.

Could you also sharpen up a bit on your grammar and punctuation? I really HATE wannabe sign makers who cannot spell, use words in their correct context and have no idea with regard to punctuation.

Our American and Canadian cousins will have been laughing up their sleeves at your pi$$ poor use of English! It's OUR language so lets have some standards, please.

Thanks
Andy, I think your comment is unnecessary and insulting. If my grammar and punctuation bothers you so much DO NO REED my posts. It does not seem to bother anyone else on the form, so who are you to lecture me! You are suggesting I am a wannabe sign maker, in-fact I am not, I have said I'm here because I am interested to learn and that's it my man! We have friends in the sign industry who started five years ago from home and now they have a very successful business in my home town so where are all these dogfights you speak off? :ROFLMAO:

I race gokarts and want to start doing vinyl lettering on them as a side job to make some extra racing money. The guys that do this and really make it, (make them bling). I dont have a lot of money to get started, about $ 1000. I will need to buy a cutter, software and enough vinyl to get started. I have tossed around the idea of buying a cutter off of ebay and the flexi starter program. I will also need a design program like flexi design to be able to do all them thing i want to do. I really need help to insure i buy what i need and not waste my money on something i dont. Please Help

Thats a good way to start. Everyone starts in one place or another!

How I started was in 98 I went to the SEMA show and there was booth from SignWarehouse there.
Long story short.. I love decals and had extra money so I got a machine and software.
I worked out of my house (hints the name) until I got a open bay at my dads auto repair shop.
Another long story short.. I was able to buy a SP300V for cash 18months ago..

So what is the point of this story?
1000.00 would be a good starting point! Ebay cutter and some software.
Stay up at night and learn the program..
Mess up and try again.. then repeat
Do a few karts and get your name out you are doing stuff.
Kart races have jobs.. them jobs need sign (you see where i'm going)

Don't worry about what 99% of everyone post.
Most of them forgot where they came from..
Times have change but they dont want to see it.

Enjoy!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Actually bella…. :Oops:

I tend to agree with him. It bothers me, too. However, when this is pointed out to someone…. they immediately take your defensive reaction and lash out at a very good observation instead of you correcting you poor habits. We are after all, in the business of communications and if you’re too lazy or ignorant to at least take the time to communicate in a civilized method [which is writing…. and by second grade you already learned most of the spellings of the words you’ve been using] then I feel you show little or no respect for how I interpret whatever it is you’re trying to convey. To tell someone not to read your posts is also childish. You wrote them and now someone [or probably many] can’t put together your thoughts based upon your knowledge and that pisses you off ?? How perfectly understandable that response is.

Please for the sake of all readers… try to give better hints or convey your thoughts a little better and watch how all involved will be more of a pleasure to deal with you in the future.

:clapping:

Ps

I race karts too
I have the DC one

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• n49006160_30431866_6127.jpg
    n49006160_30431866_6127.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 118
  • n49006160_30431864_5303.jpg
    n49006160_30431864_5303.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_9760.jpg
    IMG_9760.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 102

bella

Your point is taken Gino. In that case if my spelling is pissing you all off then I will stop posting now and I will leave the form.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Your point is taken Gino. In that case if my spelling is pissing you all off then I will stop posting now and I will leave the form.

Not necessary bella. Don't worry about pissing people off... we all do a really good job of that at any given time.

Welcome to the club :toasting:

bella

Not necessary bella. Don't worry about pissing people off... we all do a really good job of that at any given time.

Welcome to the club :toasting:
Unfortunately I'm not English I am from Finland even so I live in England. I believe that one or two users of the form have overlooked the possibility of me not being English which pissed me off as well..... Fortunately the world is a big place, we are all perfect when we speak and write our mother tongue. So I am sorry if my English is not as good as you guys but I truly try my best!

Gino

Premium Subscriber

:ROFLMAO: You're a funny one. Either you are purposely trying to act the part or you really are. Reason is.... I posted that YOU are pissed off for others not understanding you. It shows in every one of your comebacks when things don't go your way. I don't think anyone is concerned with your academic achievements... or lack thereof, but you do seem to have an attitude when someone talks to you unfavorably.

Like Bigdawg said... we're all pissoffable and we do it routinely, so if ya wanna go on spelling like ya been doing... don't let me stop ya. It breaks up the monotony around here of the other foolish things going on....... :peace!:

:Sleeping:

bella

Yeah what ever Gino and you are a bully and by the way I am a girl not a bullying man!!!!!!:Welcome:

Yeah what ever Gino and you are a bully and by the way I am a girl not a bullying man!!!!!!:Welcome:

Wait.. a girl that races kart? and your from the UK?

Please tell me you like soccer (football, i know the usa sucks for that)

Man U fan?? :loveya:

edit* I got you and TS mixed up! sorry

N2Harpz

:ROFLMAO:
Like Bigdawg said... we're all pissoffable and we do it routinely

You can say that again .... But still lots of good advice here. You just have to wade through and grow an extra layer of skin when you sign on.

I opened this thread and walked into a bee's nest ..... LOL .. very entertaining. Now back to work. I need to cut more stickers.