• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I want to cut my own designs

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
try inkscape for the auto trace....it's a really strong program for vector based art too...but the auto trace is to die for.....besides, it's free.....

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Before you buy any software, what are you going to do?

If all you are going to do is cut vinyl for a while then Illustrator or Corel with your Flexi Starter is fine.

If you want to sub out printing later, see what is preferred by the merchants, it will probably be Illustrator or Corel.

If you get your own printer, you may still want to design in Illy or Corel and output in Flexi.

If your designs will be in used in things other than cut vinyl (like website, print, t-shirts) then you going to use Illy or Corel...

If you design signs for Disneyland or large architectural sign systems... Illustrator or Corel.

tikis-in-space

Excellent advice, everyone.

Right now I just want to do my own designs for car window stickers and t-shirts. Who knows where things might lead in the future though. I've been checking out all the links and have found some very useful info. Thanks again.

TheSnowman

INKSCAPE! Couldn't believe I couldn't think of that. I use that for auto trace too. Kicks Illustrators butt. Good job Fenris.

Replicator

Right now I just want to do my own designs for car window stickers and t-shirts.

First thing to do is to lose the term stickers . . . Call them DECALS ! ! !

Good luck in your research and don't hesitate to ask, there are some great people here who will be more than happy to help you.

tikis-in-space

Decals. Decals. Decals. Decals. Ok! Got it! :)

I was hesitant to ask here at first as I knew the info is out there somewhere and it's been told time and again but not knowing where to start.. - In a weird sort of way I compare it to looking up how to spell the word hors d'oeuvre's for the first time in the dictionary. If you didn't know how to spell it in the first place... how the heck are ya gonna know it starts with an H and not an O? Its just a matter of getting enough info to strike out on my own and now I think I'm on my way. :) :)

GP

Welcome aboard. My first advice would be spend the 50 bucks and join as a contributing member.

When I started last year, I found the search function helped with about 95 percent of my questions. And only after sifting through several posts learning about the proper verbiage to state my question, (and often learning several other misc. tidbits that proved helpful) did i create a new post. This often lead to clear, concise and often prompt replies.

If you are going to invest in anything, invest in education. You can never know too much and it will save you plenty down the road.

Good luck -

GP

ps- kudos to the group for not letting this thread turn ugly. Feel like we really made some progress here today....so damn positive in here...

Sign Works

Even though most here claim it's not worth a poo, I say read your softwares user manual, they generally give detailed description of each tool and their operation, how to set up output devices, etc., etc., etc. Not sure about Flexi's newer versions but the older ones came with tutorials to walk you through basic design, cut, print operations, this was to get you familiar with the program and get you started.

OldPaint

Decals. Decals. Decals. Decals. Ok! Got it! :)

I was hesitant to ask here at first as I knew the info is out there somewhere and it's been told time and again but not knowing where to start.. - In a weird sort of way I compare it to looking up how to spell the word hors d'oeuvre for the first time in the dictionary. If you didn't know how to spell it in the first place... how the heck are ya gonna know it starts with an H and not an O? Its just a matter of getting enough info to strike out on my own and now I think I'm on my way. :)
MY QUESTION IS.............WHY DID YOU BUY A PLOTTER, AND HAVE NOT THE 1ST CLUE AS HOW TO OPERATE IT?????????????
must be nice to have that much money))))))
now WE KNOW youre a DESIGNER, and what experience do you have in that dept????
what EXPERIENCE do you have with computers???
art???? signs????
you use the analogy of the hors d'oeuvres, and what iam seein you dont even know what FINGER FOOD IS....)))))))
WHAT PROGRAMS HAVE YOU DESIGNED IN before you BOUGHT THE PLOTTER AND FLEXI???
again, i would like to help you, but from where i sit, YOU WANT US TO SHOW & TELL you everything, WITHOUT YOU PUTTIN ANY EFFORT into this!!!!

tikis-in-space

Wellllllll Ol Paint... see, first of all - I used the analogy of hors d'oeuvres as an example of how it can be difficult to look for something when you don't know where to start. I never said I didn't know what finger food was.

2nd, not all plotters and programs are in the million dollar range. I was blessed to have sold a painting of mine and was able to purchase my first cutter that came with Flexi8. Yes, it was nice to "have that much money".

3rd, I never asked anyone to hold my hand and walk me through every step of designing and cutting one of my own creations. So from "where you sit" you have the wrong view of what I was asking.

I received some very good advice here and some good links too. I appreciate that.

Not everyone was born with the intimate knowledge of how to operate something. Sometimes I just jump in and see if I can make a go of it. So to answer your question "WHY DID YOU BUY A PLOTTER, AND HAVE NOT THE 1ST CLUE AS HOW TO OPERATE IT?????????????" - I figured I could learn. Heck, the cutting is easy. The program to do lettering is a cinch.

"WE KNOW youre a DESIGNER, and what experience do you have in that dept????
what EXPERIENCE do you have with computers???
art???? signs????"
and "WHAT PROGRAMS HAVE YOU DESIGNED IN before you BOUGHT THE PLOTTER AND FLEXI???"

What experience do I have as a designer? None. Experience with computers? Depends on what kind of experience you mean. In some ways I have had a lot of experience. In others, not so much. What difference does that make for a person that wants to learn? We all have to start somewhere.

Though I feel no obligation to explain myself, hopefully I have addressed any veteran members concerns.

I hope you have a most pleasant evening and a better tomorrow.

Pat Whatley

Whoa. You actually managed to decipher an OP post?!

WATCH OUT OP! She's stumbled into the perimeter of wisdom! Run!!!!!

sarge

i call em stickers too .. my take .. if they know what your talking about then your getting your point accros .. there are some really good people here and some real d^cks .. good luck your on the right track .. oh, so ya know .. some folks in here think it is ok to crack software as long as it isnt thiers

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
That was fairly coherent for OlPaint.. me thinks he is not on a chlorophyl rush or has the wheatgrass jitters....

Anyways, I did this quickie thing a while back for a newbie... I modified it a little bit for this, maybe this will make sense to you.... oh and I did have lipstick on that pig, but took them off. If I kept them on I could never have a bacon again....

Attachments

• piggy-cut.jpg
    piggy-cut.jpg
    688.4 KB · Views: 106

OldPaint

Not everyone was born with the intimate knowledge of how to operate something. Sometimes I just jump in and see if I can make a go of it. So to answer your question "WHY DID YOU BUY A PLOTTER, AND HAVE NOT THE 1ST CLUE AS HOW TO OPERATE IT?????????????" - I figured I could learn. Heck, the cutting is easy. The program to do lettering is a cinch.
AHHHHHHH. i see where your head is at.......))))))
and that explains a lot....
and with that satatement you have answered all i asked.
shoulda got a CRICKET))))))))

BobM

This is one of the best threads since the BHO campaign. Simple question, good answers, a few shots, and a great defense.

PS: Good one Jill.