• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ice Cream Truck Business Cards

Flame

just because you have thousands of dollars of design equipment, and bizillions of hrs of design time, does not mean you have to use it. this card is very simple, and elegant, and THAT is all it needs...sometimes it seems like some of the folks here on this forum expect every piece of art to be extremly graphic and detailed with lots of stuff in it. why? if you cant see the beauty of the silence in this very simple and elegant card i wonder if you are too fixated on your design programs instead of the actual design itself.

ive been a drummer and a drum teacher for about 30 yrs. ive never been the loudest or fasted drummer around, but people come to me to learn to drum because of the way i use the silent notes. the rest (silent) notes are what creates the rythm, not the other way around.

mark galoob

Simple can often be awesome, but simple can be butt ugly. Whether it be bright, or subtle, loud, or quiet, detailed or simple.... make it LOOK RIGHT.

I think that is all we're working with here. My designs are often minimalistic, but I try to make them work. And that is probably why he is asking for advice, because he wants to make sure the card works for the customer.

Has nothing to do with throwing more effects at it. lol.

Craig Sjoquist

I like the flow of the 1st one the VW van a name wraps around it sorta idea

But I think you can do better with the name, branding colors, image great start

Jillbeans

If you were stuck on making suggestions due to customer provided artwork, why even bother posting it in the layout forum?
You know we'd be all over you for using Brush Script.
hahaha
Thought you were looking for advice.
I am a huge fan of simple, but this simply does not read well even if the colors are pretty.

HeavyHitter

If you were stuck on making suggestions due to customer provided artwork, why even bother posting it in the layout forum?

The thought behind posting was to see what others thought about the "simple" design. Many times we lay out a business card and use a company supplied logo, but there is still layout needed to position things on the card. I am open to learning here on the forum. I have been a member of this forum for a short amount of time and can honestly say I have learned a lot if useful information here. It is through some of the threads were people are critical of work were you can learn.

The design on this card was to be simple. I had to use an element supplied by the client. To me there is still layout involved in a design even if the design is simple. I picked simple fonts for the info on the card to not take attention away from the logo. This company plans to use the novelty ice cream truck at auto related events. More specifically VW related events. There are some things I think I could have done different with this card. A couple things I would not of thought about unless I posted it here.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to post up and give insight. I do not take it as a bash. I am learning from what some of you have to say.

Thanks
Dan

HeavyHitter

You know we'd be all over you for using Brush Script.
hahaha
Thought you were looking for advice.
I am a huge fan of simple, but this simply does not read well even if the colors are pretty.

LOL you were one of the first people I thought of when posting the logo with script font. LOL I knew you were going to rip into me. Jill, I enjoy reading what you have to say. Many times you have very good input on design. I can honestly say, and I think others will agree, everyone on this board will never agree on 100 percent of anything. I think that is what makes it a great place to learn. Different points of view and different experiences breed new and innovative ways of doing things. I know I am newb here on the board. I respect the time and effort many of you have put into making this a great place to learn.

Thanks
Dan

HeavyHitter

I like the layout if they really want to be reserved, but I think this is one of those rare projects that is srceaming to be funky like the following linkfrom Istock,

http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-illustration-5463074-retro-corner.php

Maybe with some trippy ice cream clouds and banana boats floating down milkshake rivers:biggrin:

Everything I thought kept coming back to simple. Maybe I should have throw down a couple with different back grounds and posted them up for you guys to have a look at. Thanks for the idea. Because of time we had to send this off to print for an event next weekend. Perhaps I will take a look at changing it up for the reprint. :thumb:

Thanks
Dan

artsnletters

You know ultimately the real problem is the customers supplied art, "logo" and simply how the name is structured. (most) Everyone is at the same conclusion that the name/logo really doesn't work. Shame the customer is so stuck on retaining an ineffective logo, IMO.
Tim

iSign

Because of time we had to send this off to print for an event next weekend. Perhaps I will take a look at changing it up for the reprint. :thumb:
yeah... that's just sad.. it wasn't ready for print... bad split of the name... no excuse to print bad prints...

it's a bummer to see the chance to correct getting discussed for hours, and bad art get's printed anyway... sorta depressing...

Jillbeans

Next time let us know in the first paragraph what can and can't be changed.
Sort of like is it OK to tell the Queen that her slip is hanging?

ncpdfsb

Yoda says "think outside the cone..one must"... anybody ever see the business card thats cut like a ice cream cone with two scoops? that would work here! i think i had seen it in a feather combs book..

imagep

I like it.

The last time I had somone wanting to wrap a van it was for ice cream and cigerretts. Is that combination even legal?

Marlene

from reading this, it sounds like you had to work with a really awful logo that is set up all wrong and looks like crap. with that said, you did a pretty good job putting that awful looking thing on a background and giving it your all to make it look halfway good. most times when given a piece of crap to work with, we throw our hands up in the air and give up. you did the best that you could with what you had and for that, I admire you. the teal swoosh helps pull that awful pile of crap into what looks more like a professional looking card. now that the customer is your customer, you have the chance to suggest re-working the logo so that it is set up in a way that doesn't make people think "ice" instead of what they really sell.

HeavyHitter

Yoda says "think outside the cone..one must"... anybody ever see the business card thats cut like a ice cream cone with two scoops? that would work here! i think i had seen it in a feather combs book..

Got it... "Think outside the cone". LOL