• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

If I have one more customer that uses the word "pop"...

SolitaryT

I've worked with people over the years who, as a general rule, fired customers who wanted signs that "popped", that had proofs that they looked at and wanted it to "pop" more. I always thought it was a bit extreme when I was a novice, but now that I'm [clears throat] "seasoned" and just had an experience with a customer who said they liked the design but wanted it to "pop" more, I realized in a single moment the frustration with customers who seem to almost WANT to be AS VAGUE AS POSSIBLE in describing what they want in a sign.

So, thanks for listening to me vent. Now that I've shared, I'm confident I can not rip this customer's head from his shoulders. I'm throwing a link from The Oatmeal comics. Yes, it's about a web design, but it's pertinent. Enjoy. So Happy It's Thursday!

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

SAR.Summerlin

Sorry to hear that clients can and will drive you crazy.
I have a client right now who keeps having me move things a fraction of an inch back and forth. She also took my reasonable layout of her information (way too much of it) and made me create something that just looks awful I will not be including this anywhere as and example of our work because it just looks awful. Then she is fighting us over $10 of the cost and I haven't even charged her extra for the 10 revisions she has had me make.

omgsideburns

I really like when a client is super vague, and then when I send them something they suddenly know what they want and it is completely different from what I've created.

Good thing I'm getting paid for this.

vid

... to be AS VAGUE AS POSSIBLE

VAGUE? ...I've found that the phrase "make it pop" to actually be the most descriptive part of the typical conversation like that.
The customer to english translator I use, defines it as "make it big and red".
The term is just really annoying because it's overused like Comic Sans.​

Now on my Vague-O-Meter, the phrase: "ummmmmm, ummmmmmmmm... 0_o.................it needs something....." o_0
Now that swaggers in a sea of vague.​

A little closer to the beach is: "I don't know, you're the designer...."
At least with that one, you're still getting some acknowledgement as a designer.

...and I did get, "it needs to be more shimmeryer... [giggle] you know what I mean, right?"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The one I hear a lot is.... well, you know what I mean.......... right ?? :rolleyes:

Ahh...... more like this ?? :smile:

Nope.

arrrrg....... :omg:........:banghead:

DesireeM

I recently had a customer look at a design for a pullup banner and say (while laughing) "I hate it. Can you make it look more...professional?" So I said I'd need her to be more specific and she said "Well I don't know...you're the designer." Yes. Yes I am. FYI by "Professional" she meant she wanted her entire mission statement and a famous quote added to the layout. Some people think all advertising should be treated like a brochure.

tomence

When i get those customers i usually print a second copy of the same file and give it to them and they always go for the second one even thou it's the same thing. They can't tell if it's the same or not but since it's a second copy they think it's better.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I think it's up to us to educate them as to why the design "already" pops. You don't have to give them design theory 101, but you should at least be able to rattle off a concise paragraph concerning your rationale.

To the customer, "pop" usually tends to mean overly done and cluttered...whereas our kind of "pop" is uncluttered and effectively conveys their message.

JB

rfulford

I used to deal with a print buyer whom after 8 years of working together never picked up any of the industry jargon I threw back at him. It was usually food photography and he would ask for me to make shrimp look more cooked or make some fried food crispier. I would counter with thoughts about sharpening, adding magenta, etc but he never really attempted to pick up the lingo. I know that people try to be vague especially when they are out of their comfort zone but my attempts at subtly educating him never took hold. I think ultimately, loose language is sort of a "loophole" since it can't really be defined.

Techman

2 revisions for errors and omissions only.
Changing the geographical location of copy and changing of fonts is extra.
All other changes will be billed at the prevailing change order rates.

legacyborn

when i have a rough day with PITA clients i just flip this on and enjoy my life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubDIx3669Jw&playnext=1&list=PLBCE2EA98E0457149&feature=results_video

OMG These people visited me like a 2 years ago, complete with the shoulder rub. We spent nearly an hour designing a $45 sign then they tried to talk me down to $30 and left without buying...

This is why I don't design at my computer with people anymore... (and of course, money up front)

synergy_jim

heard that word 10X today....

my favorite... I have no idea what I want. We spend 8 hours designing it, they stop back in two days later, here is what I had in mind...... ughhh!!!!

Baz

Had a new customer walk in yesterday for some "For Rent" coroplast signs. He started explaining to me how he wanted it to "Pop" and i should try and copy an existing sign he had brought (which did not look good). Appart from his color preferences i pretty much told him to just let me take care of the layout ... He looked at me and laughed, explaining that last year he remodelled his kitchen and had told the contractor how he wanted it ... The contractor told him "if you let me do it the way i think it should be done. If in the end you still don't like it i will tear it down and do it how you want for free".

He loved what the contractor did for him ...

ironchef

I had a lady (lawyer) talk me down in price for a truck wrap, because she had corel and would provide the design, 2weeks later and like ten revisions later, bangshead!!! Ill never give a break on customer provided art work again! We do that for our local resellers that provide Artwork, if uts bad i simply call them and have them make the call to print as is or resend files, with regular customers were sorta responsible for what we put out

Joe Diaz

I can handle "make it pop". I've heard much worst. 9 times out of 10 "Pop", means the design is too simple and corporate for the client, and simply adding a strong contrasting drop shadow or contour is all they want. If the design already has those elements, pop usually means just change some colors around. On a few rare occasions it could also mean: "I need to make a change just to make a change and feel better about myself. I do this with almost everything I have made because if I'm not in charge of every little detail in my life I feel powerless. I don't trust the professionals because I feel like I'm the authority on almost every topic and if I make a few changes this whole design will be 100% my own creation. I did it all by myself yeah!!!!"

when i have a rough day with PITA clients i just flip this on and enjoy my life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubDIx3669Jw&playnext=1&list=PLBCE2EA98E0457149&feature=results_video
That's awesome. LOL I'd never let a client stand behind me and do that though. But that skit had to have been written by someone in our industry.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I don't ask them what they want, I tell them what they need..

BINGO!

I've been doing this too long to listen to some tard telling me what they want, it's my way or the highway...